The Student Room Group

Personal statement for law

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Hann95
This is complete BS. I did two lots of work experience prior to university and it gave me a reason for wanting to study law. It showed I had thought beyond the degree and into my career prospects. Yes the LLB is a very academic degree, but you have to think beyond those three years. Work experience is always a good idea before applying to any sort of course. It shows you've put yourself out there, made a positive choice towards shaping your future. In absolutely no way is a candidate with work experience more likely to be rejected.

Cambridge, for example, says: "You might perhaps like to get some feel for the law in action, for example by observing a local court in session. You could visit your local Magistrates' and/or County Courts (or regional equivalent, such as the Sheriff Court in Scotland). Even the very highest and grandest courts, such as the Royal Courts of Justice in the Strand and the Supreme Court (Parliament Square), are open to the public.
However, it is certainly not expected that undergraduates have undertaken any legal work experience prior to arrival in Cambridge, so do not become anxious about this."
Original post by evalilyXOX
Yes but a PS that understands the role of the law in society as well as the recognition of the role of a solicitor is very important.

Law is not only about the ability to learn cases (which will be demonstrated through the applicant's academic ability), but is also about its application and practice (which work experience will demonstrate).

Not only that, but work experience demonstrates a drive to learn about the profession, as it is much easier to pick up a book about the law than get out there and experience law in its practice.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/jul/26/writing-a-personal-statement-for-law
"Try to get as much work experience as you can." is poor advice
Reply 22
Original post by jneill
Cambridge, for example, says: "You might perhaps like to get some feel for the law in action, for example by observing a local court in session. You could visit your local Magistrates' and/or County Courts (or regional equivalent, such as the Sheriff Court in Scotland). Even the very highest and grandest courts, such as the Royal Courts of Justice in the Strand and the Supreme Court (Parliament Square), are open to the public.
However, it is certainly not expected that undergraduates have undertaken any legal work experience prior to arrival in Cambridge, so do not become anxious about this."

No it's not expected but I never said it was. I gave suggestions of ways to show an interest and commitment to the study of law, the things admissions tutors will be looking for, and work experience is simply one way of doing that. To say that work experience is not useful is just not true.
Heh what a stupid argument. Ofc work experience can be useful as it is a good source for displaying motivation and initiative. You shouldnt overplay it though and dont forget you are going to uni to study not to practice. Nothing wrong with work shadowing and it can give you an angle to talk about what interests you and what youve seen in practice. Just because it isnt expected doesnt mean it cant be useful if you have done some.
Original post by 999tigger
Heh what a stupid argument.

Lawyers :wink:
So it seems I've sparked a debate on this...
Still not sure if I should do try work experience now- I don't think it will disadvantage me as long as I do the academic things alongside work experience such as reading law books and visiting courts.
Remember guys there's a large chance that I won't get the grades for Russel group unis and therefore I'll be forced to apply to unis around the 25- 50 place in the table

Posted from TSR Mobile
I also do law at a level (got an A at AS) should I mention this in my personal statement ? Should I also try and relate economics or business to law in my PS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by martinnmartin
I also do law at a level (got an A at AS) should I mention this in my personal statement ? Should I also try and relate economics or business to law in my PS?
Posted from TSR Mobile

They dont see doing law as an advantage, some of them see it as a disadvantage.

So if you do mention it in your PS dont overplay it.

PQ gave you a few links on PS and you should read those. Imo just keep answering the basic questions: why law? why should they give you a place? Why them? etc.
Thanks I'll come back to this thread when I start to write my statement in mid august

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't need to go into overdrive like a lot of people say. What you need to do is be genuine about your passion and get it across by saying you read the news/keep up to date with legal developments. If your interested in a particular type of law then it always helps to state your interest, especially if the school offer a module in it. I think it's hard to fake genuine passion and if you try too hard your risk going the other way. Try striking a balance but remain keen enough that your interest shines through, but is realistic for your age and not embellished to massive lengths
Original post by PQ
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/jul/26/writing-a-personal-statement-for-law
"Try to get as much work experience as you can." is poor advice

Not necessarily, it will also help the applicant decide whether law is actually the right choice for them.

I know plenty of people who wished they had gained more work experience before starting their degree as they have probably chosen to study something else.

Now not everyone enters into the degree with the intention to practice, but it is still an extremely useful exercise to pursue.

As I said in a previous comment, it is not just about the work experience itself, but also about expressing in the statement what you have learned from it with regards to issues in the law.

In particular, in my PS, I mentioned how after completing a week shadowing a Property solicitor, I realised how Scottish Succession Law failed to increase legal entitlement for cohabitants, which has become an increasingly popular life choice for couples in Scotland.

Also, it is important to mention that I do not think that work experience is the sole activity which the applicant should fulfil, it was just the first and most important thing that came to mind.

Work experience featured heavily in my personal statement and didn't seem to affect me.
Should I meantuon when I did the work experience? In planning on doing it this September but mostly students have their work experience in year 12

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PQ
work experience isn't good preparation for an academic law degree. An LLB is not vocational - a PS that demonstrates that an applicant doesn't understand that is more likely to be rejected.

Quoting this for emphasis.

Discuss academic law, OP. Practice is a different matter.

I did two placements with firms of solicitors before writing my PS and didn't even mention them, because they're largely irrelevant.

You can talk about work experience as inspiration if you want, provided you manage to link it to why you want to study law as an academic discipline, being sure that you recognise the importance of that distinction.

Original post by martinnmartin
Should I also try and relate economics or business to law in my PS?
This is bottom of the barrel stuff tbh. Do it if you absolutely cannot think of anything else original and/or personal to say.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest