The Student Room Group

Why do women get more university places?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Erebor
I would bring back far more physical activity in schools, far more competitive sports (none of that everyone gets a medal for showing up ********), comic books could be used for reading, everything and anything that encourages competition/originality/individuality and discourages mediocrity or just cruising through school as part of a brainwashed, regurgitating mass of zombies.

Are you training to be a teacher then so that you can implement these changes?
Reply 21
Original post by PQ
"The report includes OECD data, gathered alongside international Pisa tests, that shows on average that boys are less likely to work hard at school, less likely to read for pleasure and more likely to be negative towards school and to dodge their homework. "

It seems like it isn't just your college :smile:

I suppose we should question why is this the case?

Is it that boys are in a learning environment that is better catered towards girls, as other posters have pointed out?

If so, why is the learning environment catered to girls?
Reply 22
Original post by PQ
Are you training to be a teacher then so that you can implement these changes?

Nope. I'm a man so I gotta earn a living, otherwise women or society won't even spit on me if I'm on fire. The thing feminists don't get is that women have to be on board with the whole equality thing. And that's not possible unless the majority of women are willing to give men their long awaited ''liberation''. Guys don't go down mine shafts or do 80 hour weeks in white collar jobs because they want to, they do it because women expect them to. Killing hypergamy would be the single greatest achievement feminists could possibly obtain in their strive towards ''equality''. But good luck killing something that is thousands of years old in social terms and millions in evolutionary ones.
Original post by Erebor
Boys are different to girls. They are more physical, they love challenge, competition, they question, they take things apart, they fight for the top spot .... you won't get the best out of them by treating them as girls.

I would bring back far more physical activity in schools, far more competitive sports (none of that everyone gets a medal for showing up ********), comic books could be used for reading, everything and anything that encourages competition/originality/individuality and discourages mediocrity or just cruising through school as part of a brainwashed, regurgitating mass of zombies.

Good article on this (talks about brain, hormones, the different stages of their development) :

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/how-boys-and-girls-learn-differently

Shortly after my son started his first year of elementary school, I asked him to name his favorite subject. "Basketball," he answered without skipping a beat. "Everything else is boring."

Parents should actually take these words as a clue about how their child learns. "What they are saying," Gurian says, "is, 'If you want me to learn well, you have to understand how my brain and body work when I learn.'"

We already have competitive sports in schools and they're boring as f***. We should include some more interesting sports like archery, shooting, swimming and martial arts.
Original post by Tyreke
I suppose we should question why is this the case?

Is it that boys are in a learning environment that is better catered towards girls, as other posters have pointed out?

If so, why is the learning environment catered to girls?

The study summed up here: http://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2016/feb/22/why-do-white-working-class-boys-shun-university implies a fear of standing out and a rejection of the financial incentives for studying at university (although that is focused just on white working class boys rather than all boys)

It seems like a lot of the "gap" in university participation is explained with a similar gap in the other direction around apprenticeships: https://www.ucu.org.uk/media/6972/Young-peoples-perceptions-of-post-18-education-and-training--survey-results/pdf/ucu_comres_youngpeoplesperceptionsaboutpost18_dec14.pdf page 9 onwards

The qualitative analysis of comments in that point towards a problem around careers advice for young men which is arguably fairly quick and easy to fix.
Some young people do not have a clear idea about what they would like to do when they leave school orcollege, and some hold on to ‘dream’ careers that echo those that they would have liked when they werechildren. In the online qualitative communities, young men seem to be slightly more inclined than youngwomen to say that they wanted to achieve these dream careers.

“I want to become a magician because it is a dream of mine for a while and I want to make it happen forme.” Young man, aged 15, State School
Original post by Erebor
Nope. I'm a man so I gotta earn a living, otherwise women or society won't even spit on me if I'm on fire. The thing feminists don't get is that women have to be on board with the whole equality thing. And that's not possible unless the majority of women are willing to give men their long awaited ''liberation''. Guys don't go down mine shafts or do 80 hour weeks in white collar jobs because they want to, they do it because women expect them to. Killing hypergamy would be the single greatest achievement feminists could possibly obtain in their strive towards ''equality''. But good luck killing something that is thousands of years old in social terms and millions in evolutionary ones.

I don't recognise the world you're describing I'm glad to say.

Although it does sound like you expect women to solve all the problems that you have with the world....does that seem like a rational or mature response to you?
Original post by Dodgypirate
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36266753

It's simple really, there's a gender gap that has been overlooked.

Hopefully Feminists will make a scene about this since Feminism is there to help both sexes.

Ultimately it likely comes down to focus. There is a great deal of emphasis on women going to uni, the emphasis on male HE only exists at the middle and upper class levels.

Its part of a greater issue where working class boys are being forgotten, they are being faced with mixed messages of macho bravado on one hand, and feminism on the other. Its the difficulty in trying to reconcile two opposite views on gender expectations, and having nobody to talk to. Not just because of a lack of support, but being ostracized for wanting it.

Original post by Twinpeaks
Why did you say "women get more places". I think a more accurate phrasing is "more women apply for places".

Is that actually true? At face value, the data shows that women get more places. The reasons why are speculation.
Original post by Erebor
Men and women have very different amounts of the same hormones, different amounts of brain matter, different sizes on several parts of the brain, different inter and intrahemispheric connectivities and so on. All of these affect human psychology and create very significant gender differences.

Don't come up in my kitchen with that blank slate, social ''science'' marxist weak ass ****...

Slightly jumping to conclusions here aren't we? When did I say that biological differences do not exist? Or don't exert an influence?

To ignore the influence of the social environment is just as radical and idiotic as ignoring biological differences.
I didn't say there weren't biological differences, but it has been well known for decades now that "biology" is insufficient in explaining cognitive and behavioural gender differences. It's interaction. Our biology influences our social environment and our social environment influences our biology. Surely you've heard of neuroplasticity of the brain.

I feel like it's incredibly stupid to call social psychology "Marxist". Nearing hysterical and certainly irrational.
Reply 28
Original post by PQ

Although it does sound like you expect women to solve all the problems that you have with the world....does that seem like a rational or mature response to you?

I don't expect anyone to solve any of my problems, I'm not a feminist. And you live in a world where women don't care about a man's job, income or ''ambition''? Did NASA make a recent announcement or something? :tongue:
Original post by PQ

"I don't recognize the world you're describing I'm glad to say."

While not everything that he says is true, he said some pretty facts such as that women tend to gravitate towards men with money, that is a pure fact, while it may not affect all women, it affects the majority.
Original post by Terminator01
"I don't recognize the world you're describing I'm glad to say."

While not everything that he says is true, he said some pretty facts such as that women tend to gravitate towards men with money, that is a pure fact, while it may not affect all women, it affects the majority.

Most of the women I know are the primary earners in their households.

As I say - I don't recognise a pattern of women expecting to be kept or attracted to wealth. If that's your experience then I recommend you look around a bit further rather than writing off half the population as shallow money grabbers :smile:
Original post by Erebor
I don't expect anyone to solve any of my problems, I'm not a feminist. And you live in a world where women don't care about a man's job, income or ''ambition''? Did NASA make a recent announcement or something? :tongue:

Have you tried speaking to women as if they're fellow human beings rather than as an alien culture that you don't understand. You might find that more independent and self sufficient women will give you the time of day if you stop writing us off or treating us as the enemy because of our gender.

Most of the women I know are the primary earners in their households. There are a LOT of us out there but we generally have little time for aggressive sexists :smile:
Original post by PQ
Have you tried speaking to women as if they're fellow human beings rather than as an alien culture that you don't understand. You might find that more independent and self sufficient women will give you the time of day if you stop writing us off or treating us as the enemy because of our gender.

Most of the women I know are the primary earners in their households. There are a LOT of us out there but we generally have little time for aggressive sexists :smile:

He is not treating women as an enemy and neither is he a sexist, you are just being bitter now in my opinion, you need to be more open minded because he was just stating the differences in genders and how things generally go around. He did say that his views do not apply to every woman, and that is true. Everyone has their own prejudices.
Original post by Broscientist
Good for them! Too bad this example does not prove anything. Anecdotal evidence is useless.
Not when I'm replying to someone stating "I'm a man so I gotta earn a living, otherwise women or society won't even spit on me if I'm on fire."Anecdotal evidence that proves some women and society do value men who are teachers (which is what this was a response to) disproves this statement. :smile:

Original post by Terminator01
He is not treating women as an enemy

"I'm a man so I gotta earn a living, otherwise women or society won't even spit on me if I'm on fire."
Right
Original post by Erebor
x

Because males are too busy playing Call of Duty to worry about their future
Original post by PQ
Not when I'm replying to someone stating "I'm a man so I gotta earn a living, otherwise women or society won't even spit on me if I'm on fire."Anecdotal evidence that proves some women and society do value men who are teachers (which is what this was a response to) disproves this statement. :smile:

"I'm a man so I gotta earn a living, otherwise women or society won't even spit on me if I'm on fire."
Right

That sounds more like he is bitter as well.
Reply 37
Original post by PQ

I don't think talking to women would help, my wife is quite the jealous type :smile:

If most women you know are the primary earners then my guess you must be mingling with a very niche/academic/leftist crowd. Back on planet Earth, only 1 out of 3 women are the main earners and most of the time it's because of single parenthood.

A third of Britain’s working mothers are the main earners in their family and most of this 2m-strong group are low earners, according to a report that will intensify the debate over gender inequality in the UK.

The report by the IPPR thinktank, Who’s breadwinning in Europe, shows that the proportion of working women who carry the main financial burden has grown dramatically in recent decades following a surge in single parenthood.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/oct/20/working-mothers-britain-breadwinner-statistics-income
Original post by Broscientist
Statistics and facts are offensive! Surely we must let feelings trump truth!

You're using an interesting definition of "statistics and facts" if you think that's what Erebor's post was made up of.
Original post by PQ
http://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2016/feb/22/why-do-white-working-class-boys-shun-university is a very good look at some of the reasons that impact on this.

HEPI have done what they always do - crunch raw data and jump to conclusions about the solutions.

Why do you think boys don't want to be nurses or teachers?

Because they'd rather be lawyers, policemen, aerospace engineers, etc...?

Not all boys avoid teaching and nursing, obviously, but most do

Quick Reply

Latest