The Student Room Group

AQA A2 MFP3 Further Pure 3 – 18th May 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kvothe the arcane
You go up in degree of x if present in the complimentary function.

Thanks! 👍
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Yep effectively it was polar coordinate geometry so starting by converting the (obvious) Cartesian equation of the line AB into polar form and the rest follows.

Ah the cubic equation looked daunting (I was about to make an equation in θ\theta but I realised what we want is the value of r and it's easier to work in r) but two things:
-if you had an equation solving calculator it was fine, since it would remind you that 3/2 was a root
-you already knew that 3/2 must be a root.

If the cubic was in trig functions same goes.

Original post by Qcomber
Anyone here doing fp4? Is there a thread for that I can't find one.

I'm doing fp4! how is revision going for it ?
Reply 143
I find FP3 papers (not the content though) really boring tbh, especially after doing STEP. But I'd agree that 2014/2015 in FP3 were vaguely enjoyable in some parts.
I find FP2 papers a lot more enjoyable.

Agreed, FP2 is much more interesting!

Oh and I don't advise doing FP4 unless you really like Vectors, if you are anything like me, the topics bore me to insanity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jjsnyder

Oh and I don't advise doing FP4 unless you really like Vectors, if you are anything like me, the topics bore me to insanity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which is why I'm incredible happy that they've taken all the horrible linear algebra stuff and shoved it into one 'FP4' module XD.

But still I must do it over summer to
1.Get good at linear algebra since I'm going to be doing a maths course and don't want to fail linear algebra.
2.Actually try to start enjoying linear algebra lol.
Original post by jjsnyder

Posted from TSR Mobile

FP4 is easy marks though, easiest A2 FP module.
Reply 146
Which is why I'm incredible happy that they've taken all the horrible linear algebra stuff and shoved it into one 'FP4' module XD.

But still I must do it over summer to
1.Get good at linear algebra since I'm going to be doing a maths course and don't want to fail linear algebra.
2.Actually try to start enjoying linear algebra lol.

True, I did it over christmas, would need to go over it again properly but I may just be lazy and wait until university!
Reply 147
Original post by zetamcfc

Easy definitely does not imply interesting though, D1 for example.
Reply 148
How many hours a day is everyone putting in with revision?
Original post by Roxanne18
I'm doing fp4! how is revision going for it ?

Quite well. I'm actually resitting fp4 this year after having not done so well last year (AS). I made an fp4 thread here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4018817

Hmmm have you seen the Jan or June 12 papers? Those are some of the toughest FM exams set recently.
Original post by Hjyu1
How many hours a day is everyone putting in with revision?

None lol. STEP takes priority, although I'm being super lazy with that too all of a sudden...
Original post by Qcomber
Hmmm have you seen the Jan or June 12 papers? Those are some of the toughest FM exams set recently.

Agree with the Jan paper, but one in 4 years is not an indication of a hard module. FP2/3 have had increases of difficulty over the past few years imho, also FP4 generally has higher grade boundaries if i'm not mistaken. But of course it is subjective.
Reply 153
None lol. STEP takes priority, although I'm being super lazy with that too all of a sudden...

I do feel sorry for you the people taking step. I tried a step 3 paper and I didn't even know how start in the mechanics section
Nailing every question on papers apart from polar coordinates. Just never seem to know how to answer the questions apart from simple area calculations. Worried it will drag down my mark on Wednesday :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hjyu1
I do feel sorry for you the people taking step. I tried a step 3 paper and I didn't even know how start in the mechanics section

Sorry for me? I love it, it's the only challenging/enjoyable work I've been doing this year!
But if it makes you feel better I've never attempted an applied question in III :redface:.
Original post by Adam_98
Nailing every question on papers apart from polar coordinates. Just never seem to know how to answer the questions apart from simple area calculations. Worried it will drag down my mark on Wednesday :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah those are the only real times where you might properly have to think during the paper (the rest being just the same as ever). Shouldn't drag your mark down that low provided you get everything else right i.e. avoid silly mistakes.
Just try to think logically for those kind of questions, the answers are necessarily gonna come straight away there.
Reply 157
Hope revision is going well, do the papers get harder after 2010 because I've been getting pretty much full marks on the older papers (2006-2010)?

Also can someone clear this up for me because I've heard conflicting responses. How exactly is the A* grade for further maths AQA calculated? I'll list my modules:
AS: C1,C2,S1,FP1,M1,D1
A2: C3,C4,S2,FP3,M2,M3
Basically because only one applied module a year can go with Core maths, M3 must go with Further Maths in terms of calculating your UMS (as would have M1 with core maths AS and M2 with core maths A2) and because of this the further maths grade is calculated as FP3, M3 and the best of S2 and M2. However I've heard some people say that the further maths A* grade is calculated as at least 90% across your best 3 A2 modules (excluding C3,C4) as well as getting a 80% on the further maths bit only.

Might seem like a pointless distinction but I'm not sure about hitting 90% in both FP3 and M3, the second method allows combinations like 90% across M2,M3,S2 and FP3,M2,S2 whereas the first doesn't. Also by any chance does FP1 count as an A2 unit even though I sat it in AS?
Original post by JPL98
Hope revision is going well, do the papers get harder after 2010 because I've been getting pretty much full marks on the older papers (2006-2010)?

Also can someone clear this up for me because I've heard conflicting responses. How exactly is the A* grade for further maths AQA calculated? I'll list my modules:
AS: C1,C2,S1,FP1,M1,D1
A2: C3,C4,S2,FP3,M2,M3
Basically because only one applied module a year can go with Core maths, M3 must go with Further Maths in terms of calculating your UMS (as would have M1 with core maths AS and M2 with core maths A2) and because of this the further maths grade is calculated as FP3, M3 and the best of S2 and M2. However I've heard some people say that the further maths A* grade is calculated as at least 90% across your best 3 A2 modules (excluding C3,C4) as well as getting a 80% on the further maths bit only.

Might seem like a pointless distinction but I'm not sure about hitting 90% in both FP3 and M3, the second method allows combinations like 90% across M2,M3,S2 and FP3,M2,S2 whereas the first doesn't. Also by any chance does FP1 count as an A2 unit even though I sat it in AS?

Yes they do get harder after 2010. An A* is awarded in normal maths when you get an A overall (480/600 ums) in total and you get at least 180/200 ums for your core 3 and 4 combined. An A* is awarded in Further maths when you get an A overall (480/600 ums) in total and you get 270/300 ums in your A2 modules. AQA will give you your best 2 grades with the modules you have taken. FP1 is an AS exam so no, it won't count towards your A2. Hope that helps.
Reply 159
Yes they do get harder after 2010. An A* is awarded in normal maths when you get an A overall (480/600 ums) in total and you get at least 180/200 ums for your core 3 and 4 combined. An A* is awarded in Further maths when you get an A overall (480/600 ums) in total and you get 270/300 ums in your A2 modules. AQA will give you your best 2 grades with the modules you have taken. FP1 is an AS exam so no, it won't count towards your A2. Hope that helps.

Ah, I see so basically because of the combination I'm taking I have to get 270 ums across FP3, M3, (either S2 or M2). But this link here suggests the other way: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/special_pdf/A-QUICK-GUIDE-TO-GCE-A-STAR-GRADES.PDF 'best 3 A2 units' interestingly this doesn't exclude C3,C4 which I assume it must do, but that suggests I can just take my best 3 of 4 A2 units. Rather than be forced to take FP3 and M3 cause they can't go with core.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending