The Student Room Group

Redo AS year?

Would you think its wise to redo my AS year without completing the exams?

(Haven't put in much effort this year, and aspire to apply to Oxbridge/Russell Group Unis and get C/D/E/U in mocks, but know for a fact this is way below my academic ability and achieved A's and A*s in GCSEs)
Original post by thehorndiaspora
Would you think its wise to redo my AS year without completing the exams?

(Haven't put in much effort this year, and aspire to apply to Oxbridge/Russell Group Unis and get C/D/E/U in mocks, but know for a fact this is way below my academic ability and achieved A's and A*s in GCSEs)

hey!
deffo possible - that's what I'm doing. I leave 6th form in 2 weeks
It may be a be late to be entered for exams now - I've been entered for all 3 subjects for AS but because i'd left it for so long we had to pay £200 in total for all subject because it was a late late entry - now it would be a late late late entry but even that was like a month ago. I don't even know if it would be possible to be even entered for an exam this late? (exams are next week) Why did u leave it so long? Which subjects are you doing? It may depend if your subjects are STEM as well as science subjects or want to do anything medicine @ uni. You can definitely resit AS next september - with your current or pick new subjects. A c/d is fine because for most sixth forms you just need D's or above to continue for year 13.

some students may get a/A*'s @ gcse but struggle @ a level. its a common trend sometimes. i'm guessing your doing new spec? Is it subjects your doing that you don't like or the environment in which you go to study? if its the environment @ 6th form work hard - theres still time left - @ on results day decide whether you want to continue or leave, & do the same subjects @ a different college or go elsewhere & pick new subjects or do an alternative qualification like a BTEC. mocks aren't a prediction of your final grade, so work hard until the exams so at least you can say you've tried :smile: then you won't regret it later :smile: as long as you know you won't be wasting your time restarting the year & you are sure you want to & do better go for it!! :biggrin: at least we've both realised this sooner rather than later:smile: good luck
Original post by bizzy_penguin
hey!
deffo possible - that's what I'm doing. I leave 6th form in 2 weeks
It may be a be late to be entered for exams now - I've been entered for all 3 subjects for AS but because i'd left it for so long we had to pay £200 in total for all subject because it was a late late entry - now it would be a late late late entry but even that was like a month ago. I don't even know if it would be possible to be even entered for an exam this late? (exams are next week) Why did u leave it so long? Which subjects are you doing? It may depend if your subjects are STEM as well as science subjects or want to do anything medicine @ uni. You can definitely resit AS next september - with your current or pick new subjects. A c/d is fine because for most sixth forms you just need D's or above to continue for year 13.

some students may get a/A*'s @ gcse but struggle @ a level. its a common trend sometimes. i'm guessing your doing new spec? Is it subjects your doing that you don't like or the environment in which you go to study? if its the environment @ 6th form work hard - theres still time left - @ on results day decide whether you want to continue or leave, & do the same subjects @ a different college or go elsewhere & pick new subjects or do an alternative qualification like a BTEC. mocks aren't a prediction of your final grade, so work hard until the exams so at least you can say you've tried :smile: then you won't regret it later :smile: as long as you know you won't be wasting your time restarting the year & you are sure you want to & do better go for it!! :biggrin: at least we've both realised this sooner rather than later:smile: good luck

Aw thank you! I'm doing History, English lit and lang and Sociology, I've been entered in all of them but figured probably wouldn't do well so wanted to know what my options were. Until then, I'm going to just revise as much as I can until the exams and see what I end up getting, these AS exams do not count for the real A-level in my case, but only count for the predicted grade, so I felt put off not wanting for the universities I want to apply to to see bad grades. Could be exam nerves though. Good luck for you too!! X

Quick Reply

Latest