The Student Room Group

I thought black people couldn't be racist

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AIDS Skrillex
Why not?

Why insist on living in a racist white country then?

Why enslave and then not integrate the descendants of slaves?
why no reparations?
Reply 81
Original post by Ladymusiclover
I think people need to look up the definition of racism. You don't need power or privilege to be racist. Where are people getting their information from?

Social justice and gender studies courses
Why are people finding it so hard to understand that anyone of any colour can be racist?
I don't think anyone has ever claimed black people cannot be racist.
A lot of victim mentalities going on here...
Original post by joecphillips
Social justice and gender studies courses

You're engaging in a straw man argument if I've ever seen one.
No one has claimed black people cannot be racist.
Yet you are getting all angry about something that no one has said.
Original post by alexschmalex
totally!

Because we took millions of people from their homes and enslaved them for centuries.
Because we started the biggest war in the history with the intention to establish the dominance of our race and wipe out ethnicities/groups of people we didn't like.
Because we beat and hang people because they don't conform to our views what a person "should" be/do.
Because we think we know best for other races and try to impose our will on them through economic and military strength.
Because we automatically label other groups as criminals and thugs and menaces to society.
Because those of us in positions of authority abuse them and shoot or condemn other races to death because they must be criminals.
Because we dictate to everyone else how they should live their lives and threaten them for not conforming.
Because we ostracize other groups and make them feel unwanted and reviled for walking the same streets as us.
Because we follow non-black people around in stores to be sure they don't steal anything.
Because we don't expect other races to be anything more than a number in the prison system or a hole in a cemetery.
Because we don't hire people based off of their name and any preconceived notion we might have because of it.

Wait....

Spoiler

my brother preach
Reply 86
Original post by Bornblue
You're engaging in a straw man argument if I've ever seen one.
No one has claimed black people cannot be racist.
Yet you are getting all angry about something that no one has said.

Yes they have on this thread and many others

Including a thread called black people cannot be racist posted 3 days ago
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by joecphillips
Yes they have on this thread and many others

Including a thread called black people cannot be racist posted 3 days ago

Who on this thread has claimed that black people cannot be racist?
I don't think anyone has ever claimed black people cannot be racist.
A lot of victim mentalities going on here...

Yes they do.

Like popular youtuber Kat Blaque.

Just a casual observation: I've been working in Saudi for the last three years and can 100% assure you that racists and bigots are more common in Saudi compared to the UK. It could be the demographic I was working with, it could be that people that are attracted to my area of work happen to have a predisposition to bigotry due to their based on personality type... What ever the reason behind it is, it is notable.

That Erebor guy (wtf man btw...) is clearly an idiot. That being said, minority ethnicities in western countries typically have closer ties to institutionalised religion, the vast majority of these institutions have for a large portion of their history promoted homophobia and provided stepping stones to bigotry, including racism to some extent. So when people say that a specific ethnicity tends to be more racist than another, don't ignore demographics. Perhaps one ethnicity dominates a higher or lower socio-economic group, where they are under extreme financial pressure and as such are much more likely to lash out against those with money (typically the dominant ethnicity in that country). Shia muslims in Saudi (in bold because it's a regional demographic thing, not a religious or ethnic thing) are much more likely to rebel and lash out against Sunni muslims in Saudi just because they are so oppressed; it isn't their ethnicity or religion that drives any negative actions, but their social situation. Same concept can be applied to Ukrainians living in New Jersey, or black people in a super white neighbourhood - it's about demographics.
Original post by geolowiser
Just a casual observation: I've been working in Saudi for the last three years and can 100% assure you that racists and bigots are more common in Saudi compared to the UK. It could be the demographic I was working with, it could be that people that are attracted to my area of work happen to have a predisposition to bigotry due to their based on personality type... What ever the reason behind it is, it is notable.

That Erebor guy (wtf man btw...) is clearly an idiot. That being said, minority ethnicities in western countries typically have closer ties to institutionalised religion, the vast majority of these institutions have for a large portion of their history promoted homophobia and provided stepping stones to bigotry, including racism to some extent. So when people say that a specific ethnicity tends to be more racist than another, don't ignore demographics. Perhaps one ethnicity dominates a higher or lower socio-economic group, where they are under extreme financial pressure and as such are much more likely to lash out against those with money (typically the dominant ethnicity in that country). Shia muslims in Saudi (in bold because it's a regional demographic thing, not a religious or ethnic thing) are much more likely to rebel and lash out against Sunni muslims in Saudi just because they are so oppressed; it isn't their ethnicity or religion that drives any negative actions, but their social situation. Same concept can be applied to Ukrainians living in New Jersey, or black people in a super white neighbourhood - it's about demographics.

Not that I'm definding it at all, it's the individual at fault, if they come across as racist for targeting a demographic and decide to bring in ethnicity their own ignorance is their downfall, so bugger em :wink:
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Yes they do.

Like popular youtuber Kat Blaque.

She doesn't say black people cannot be racist.
She doesn't say black people cannot be racist.

She says that racism requires privilege as it is something that is institutionalized. As she believes black people lack privileged
, it would be impossible for a black person to be racist in the west.
Reply 93
Literally every race and kind of people in this world are racist

Find something better to discuss
She says that racism requires privilege as it is something that is institutionalized. As she believes black people lack privileged

She said black people could be prejudiced against others.

I think this is somewhat a straw man argument to argue against a point almost no one has made and make out its a mainstream opinion.

I think it's a little short-sighted to think that it would be impossible for a black person to be racist in the west, on the premise that racism has to be institutionalised. I was told by a Nigerian colleague that the only reason I receiving a promotion in my old job was because I was the only white guy out of the 90 or so in the pool of candidates, irrespective of the fact that I acheived the best results and was the top ranked engineer, which he knew. Whilst it doesn't come close to the severity of other racist incidents experienced daily by others, it still happens.

(This was not a poor me boohoo post, just an observation).
She said black people could be prejudiced against others.

I think this is somewhat a straw man argument to argue against a point almost no one has made and make out its a mainstream opinion.

I'm aware. I can link to other people who've said the same thing if you wish (though I've not the time rn).
The point being she and others believe that racism = privilege + prejudice the former of which they don't believe black people have. It's a game of semantics but it is certainly the case that there are those that believe blacks can't be racist (with that definition in mind).
Who on this thread has claimed that black people cannot be racist?

To start with: posts 25, 29, 32.
Original post by Omen96
Anyone who suggests black people can be racist needs to **** off

I've had a lot of racist comments from black people... Don't be silly

Quick Reply

Latest