The Student Room Group

Accident and claiming on insurance

So I had a minor accident a couple of weeks ago and my insurance company is being a nightmare..

Accident - I was turning right and the car behind me decided that was the perfect time to try and overtake me (on the right) so my front right of the car hit their left side but it turned out to be minor damage.

Usual course of action - call the third party's insurance and make a claim and if not in dispute, the third party's insurance should pay out.

However the third party has decided to lie through their teeth about the circumstances of the accident so it is now in dispute. The third party's insurance are now saying they cannot deal with me and will only talk to my insurance.

My insurance - I seem to have (1) an insurance broker company (2) an accident management company who acts on behalf of the broker and (3) the underwriter to the insurance policy.

All of them are saying they will not act on my behalf for the claim as it isn't something they do (note I did not take our legal cover on my comprehensive insurance).

I had always thought my insurance company would deal with any claims I decide to make? How am I meant to progress my claim if the third party's insurance refuse to talk to me?
Oh crumbs. What a nightmare. I suppose the lesson learned here is always spend the additional £30 to get legal cover on your policy. I guess you could try and find a solicitor who will act on your behalf on a no-win-no-fee basis, but failing that it might be easier to drop the claim, suck it up and either drive a scratched car or get it fixed yourself. If you do make a claim, even if it goes in your favour, it will harm your future premium because you will have to check YES to the question "Have you made any claims", even if it wasn't your fault.

It sucks, but we live and learn. If it is any consolation, I was once run off the motorway by a German truck driver, writing off my car. The policeman in his infinite wisdom wrote down the incorrect details of the driver and it took 9 months for me to trace him before I could make a claim. I feel your pain.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by ByEeek
Oh crumbs. What a nightmare. I suppose the lesson learned here is always spend the additional £30 to get legal cover on your policy. I guess you could try and find a solicitor who will act on your behalf on a no-win-no-fee basis, but failing that it might be easier to drop the claim, suck it up and either drive a scratched car or get it fixed yourself. If you do make a claim, even if it goes in your favour, it will harm your future premium because you will have to check YES to the question "Have you made any claims", even if it wasn't your fault.

It sucks, but we live and learn. If it is any consolation, I was once run off the motorway by a German truck driver, writing off my car. The policeman in his infinite wisdom wrote down the incorrect details of the driver and it took 9 months for me to trace him before I could make a claim. I feel your pain.

Good luck!

I think I might just make a small claims court application myself. I guess the first issue is trying to get the third party insurer to provide details of what they say their customer claims has happened but I'm struggling to get that bit actioned.

Frankly I'm tempted to bite my own nose off to spite the face just so it affects the other party's insurance too.
Reply 3
Get a car camera to record any accidents.
Original post by Zerforax
So I had a minor accident a couple of weeks ago and my insurance company is being a nightmare..

Accident - I was turning right and the car behind me decided that was the perfect time to try and overtake me (on the right) so my front right of the car hit their left side but it turned out to be minor damage.

Usual course of action - call the third party's insurance and make a claim and if not in dispute, the third party's insurance should pay out.

However the third party has decided to lie through their teeth about the circumstances of the accident so it is now in dispute. The third party's insurance are now saying they cannot deal with me and will only talk to my insurance.

My insurance - I seem to have (1) an insurance broker company (2) an accident management company who acts on behalf of the broker and (3) the underwriter to the insurance policy.

All of them are saying they will not act on my behalf for the claim as it isn't something they do (note I did not take our legal cover on my comprehensive insurance).

I had always thought my insurance company would deal with any claims I decide to make? How am I meant to progress my claim if the third party's insurance refuse to talk to me?

What insurance company are you with?

Where exactly did it happen?

When exactly did it happen?

Were there any places nearby that could have CCTV, that you could approach for assistance in proving your case?

At this point, I would report it to the police. I believe that now, if you want it to, it can turn into a criminal matter which would open up further avenues of possible evidence, including forensic identification of the vehicle collision. It's criminal because at this point, you have approached the matter from a civil point of view, but now believe that the other party are making false allegations against you which have a legal ramification.

It may be worth pointing out that you are prepared to take it to a criminal investigation against the other party before taking any official action. This is not a threat, this is a notification of intended action, due to the circumstances which have arisen.

- it's important that they don't get a chance to claim blackmail against you. Be careful on your wording. Perhaps speak to a No-Win-No-Fee solicitor about it.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending