The Student Room Group

National 5 Maths Exam 2016

How did everyone find it? I thought paper 1 was very strange and difficult, especially the trig identities and the quadratic last question even though I got the same answer as some people. Paper 2 was a lot easier however I made a stupid mistake on the scale factor.

So, opinions about the exam?

Scroll to see replies

I found paper one quite difficult and paper 2 really easy
Yeah, paper 1 was quite difficult. A lot of people from my school had no idea what they were doing with it, everyone found paper 2 pretty reasonable though, some struggled with the label height question but that's about it.
Anyone got the national 5 paper?
Overall I thought it wasn't too bad although a couple of the questions were difficult. What did everyone do for part b for the last question in paper one?
Reply 5
What did u all get for the angle question in paper 2?
i got 74
Original post by Amina209
i got 74

Think I might have got that too
Reply 7
part 1 was pretty difficult, but paper 2 was really easy
i got 6.8 for the very last question, and so did my friends, but idk if that's right

i'm confident i got an A, or a band 3 B at the least

Original post by ___Sophie___
Overall I thought it wasn't too bad although a couple of the questions were difficult. What did everyone do for part b for the last question in paper one?

i didn't answer it, nor did anyone i spoke to :frown:
it was a lot harder than similar questions i did in the past papers
Reply 8
what was the last question i have forgot
Reply 9
Right okay... First paper was an absolute troll. Everything was all fun and games.

It was so easy, until you got to the Pyramid question -_-"Calculate the length of AL".... I had no clue what I was doing, I used Pythagoras, But I still think I got it wrong.

The next question, things just got worst...

The fraction one at Q8 was just horrible.

Then the graph one.... I calculated the min t.p and the y-intercept... I didn't get the roots.

Then the trig identities -_-... I got sin^2x for this.

Then to top it all off, the stupid rectangle and triangle. ALthough i think I have done okay on this, it was still a pain in the ass. What did you all get for the last question on Paper 1?

Paper 2 was really easy. I think I've done the last question wrong, But other than that not bad. Did everyone get 4.95 for the Scale factor one?
Original post by A+Hunter
Right okay... First paper was an absolute troll. Everything was all fun and games.

It was so easy, until you got to the Pyramid question -_-"Calculate the length of AL".... I had no clue what I was doing, I used Pythagoras, But I still think I got it wrong.

Then the graph one.... I calculated the min t.p and the y-intercept... I didn't get the roots.

Then to top it all off, the stupid rectangle and triangle. ALthough i think I have done okay on this, it was still a pain in the ass. What did you all get for the last question on Paper 1?

Paper 2 was really easy. I think I've done the last question wrong, But other than that not bad. Did everyone get 4.95 for the Scale factor one?

What was the last question?
Reply 11
Original post by A+Hunter

the pyramid question? the one with the xyz co-ordinates?

you were meant to use pythagoras, yeah
you just use the co-ordinates. i imagined a grid in my head, and so i used the "units" as my length, e.g. between (5,0) and (10,0), there are five units, then i did pythagoras using those measurements
(edited 7 years ago)
What was the last question?

It was the rectangle and triangle one.

Original post by (bryn)
the pyramid question? the one with the xyz co-ordinates?

you were meant to use pythagoras, yeah
you just use the co-ordinates. i imagined a grid in my head, and so i used the "units" as my length, e.g. between (5,0) and (10,0), there are five units, then i did pythagoras using those measurements

(facepalm) I used 5 and 6 lol. I realised I done something wrong when I got root 61 lool.
Paper 1 was so different to any other paper I have saw before and very difficult, although paper 2 was pretty easy. Hopefully since everyone found paper 1 tricky they will drop the pass mark haha
Original post by (bryn)
part 1 was pretty difficult, but paper 2 was really easy
i got 6.8 for the very last question, and so did my friends, but idk if that's right

i'm confident i got an A, or a band 3 B at the least

i didn't answer it, nor did anyone i spoke to :frown:
it was a lot harder than similar questions i did in the past papers

Yeah I got 6.8 too.

I had a go at part b but I can't remember what I put, pretty sure I actually left two attempts at the question. Part c was easy although you need the correct answer from b but perhaps I will get follow through marks.
Reply 15
I got 6.8 as well, I'm pretty sure that that's the right answer.
Reply 16
Does anyone remember what they got for the vectors question in paper 2?
Reply 17
Original post by Drathius
I got 6.8 as well, I'm pretty sure that that's the right answer.

how did you do the question?

i got 6.8, but i used a pretty stupid, convoluted method of adding an extra line to create a triangle equal to the one on the bottom left (with the right angle) and used it to calculate the rest of the angles/sides i needed to get the side the question was asking for
Reply 18
i got 74

How did you get that? I got 106. I got the other two angles in the triangle as 37, added them and took them away from 180.
For part b in paper 1 on the last question, I think I wasted 2 pages trying to prove it was x^2-2x-8 lol.

I don't know if it's right, But I calculated the area for the rectangle and got something like 2x^2+17x+8

Then the area for the triangle - This one was a bit weird, But I ended up with 3x^2+15x

Then I equated them together so the equation looked something like this:
2x^2 + 17x + 8 = 3x^2 + 15x

Then I moved everything to right and equated it to zero, so like this:
3x^2 + 15x -2x^2 -17x - 8 = 0

Then simplified and got:
x^2 - 2x - 8 = 0
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending