The Student Room Group

Quitting uni after first year, how much maintenance income will i pay back?

Hello TSR

I have currently finished my last exam at my current university. However i am planning to drop out and take up an offer at better university.

However i am a very low income student. I therefore ask if i left now, how much of my Bursary, Maintenance grant and Maintenance Loan would i have to pay back? or should i just wait until the 1st of September and tell them i have left.

Also should i ask the university to consider my UCAS application (that i made back at the beginning of the year as a transfer? because that way i can keep the money.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.
Original post by Jimmyjamjames
Hello TSR

I have currently finished my last exam at my current university. However i am planning to drop out and take up an offer at better university.

However i am a very low income student. I therefore ask if i left now, how much of my Bursary, Maintenance grant and Maintenance Loan would i have to pay back? or should i just wait until the 1st of September and tell them i have left.

Also should i ask the university to consider my UCAS application (that i made back at the beginning of the year as a transfer? because that way i can keep the money.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

If you've completed the exams and coursework on your current course and are switching to a new course next year then make sure you do the following:

a) do NOT withdraw from your current university - notify them in August/September that you wont be returning next year. You may end up needing to repay an overpayment if your university inform the SLC that you have withdrawn before the end of the academic year so to avoid that you need your current university to know that you plan to FINISH the year.
b) apply for student finance as a continuing student, initially as if you are continuing your current course
c) when you're 100% sure your place at the new uni is confirmed then notify SFE of a change of circumstances and give them the details of the new course

The way your new university consider your UCAS application has no impact on student finance - all you need to avoid any overpayments is to continue at you current course to complete the year (so meet any attendance of submissions of work required by your current university) and to start your new course in the Autumn.

Student finance includes a gift year - that means you can repeat a year or start again from scratch after the first year and all your study will be covered (if you repeat multiple years or start again more than once or start again and then need to repeat a year then you can end up with an unfunded year).
Original post by PQ
If you've completed the exams and coursework on your current course and are switching to a new course next year then make sure you do the following:

a) do NOT withdraw from your current university - notify them in August/September that you wont be returning next year. You may end up needing to repay an overpayment if your university inform the SLC that you have withdrawn before the end of the academic year so to avoid that you need your current university to know that you plan to FINISH the year.
b) apply for student finance as a continuing student, initially as if you are continuing your current course
c) when you're 100% sure your place at the new uni is confirmed then notify SFE of a change of circumstances and give them the details of the new course

The way your new university consider your UCAS application has no impact on student finance - all you need to avoid any overpayments is to continue at you current course to complete the year (so meet any attendance of submissions of work required by your current university) and to start your new course in the Autumn.

Student finance includes a gift year - that means you can repeat a year or start again from scratch after the first year and all your study will be covered (if you repeat multiple years or start again more than once or start again and then need to repeat a year then you can end up with an unfunded year).

So i have 100% confirmed my new university via UCAS, and have started writing up my Student Finance England application.

So should i just write in the details of my current uni for now and then change the details over in August after i have told them i am leaving?
or should i just immediately fill in the continuation section with my new university details?

Also (A daft question but just need to reconfirmation) if i tell them that i will complete the academic year i.e. up to first of September will that therefore mean i will not have to pay back any maintenance grant/loan/ bursaries?
So i have 100% confirmed my new university via UCAS, and have started writing up my Student Finance England application.

So should i just write in the details of my current uni for now and then change the details over in August after i have told them i am leaving?
or should i just immediately fill in the continuation section with my new university details?

Also (A daft question but just need to reconfirmation) if i tell them that i will complete the academic year i.e. up to first of September will that therefore mean i will not have to pay back any maintenance grant/loan/ bursaries?

If you're 100% sure you'll be moving then fill it in with the details of the new course to reduce some of the faffing later on:smile:

If you finish the year you wont be overpaid in any way (grant/loan/bursary) and so wont have to repay anything.
Original post by PQ
If you're 100% sure you'll be moving then fill it in with the details of the new course to reduce some of the faffing later on:smile:

If you finish the year you wont be overpaid in any way (grant/loan/bursary) and so wont have to repay anything.

I Cannot thank you enough for your help.
Original post by PQ

Hello sorry for bumping this thread up again but i have to ask.

When should i tell my current uni i am leaving?

Should i do it now, the middle of august or at the end of August, as i would like to keep my grant money.

Thanks
Hello sorry for bumping this thread up again but i have to ask.

When should i tell my current uni i am leaving?

Should i do it now, the middle of august or at the end of August, as i would like to keep my grant money.

Thanks

You should be fine to notify them now without risking your grant.

If you explain that you wont be coming back next year they should sort it out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending