The Student Room Group

Do you believe in Aliens?

Scroll to see replies

Absolutely. :yep:

I'll be so p--sed if aliens don't get discovered in my lifetime. :unimpressed:
i did see John Redwood at a cricket match once, who some consider to be a Vulcan. Does that count?
Yeh, I wish they would come and take me away to a better world
Original post by yesyesyesno
You don't have an opinion. You are just being a parrot. You are using (without any logic or reason) your religion, which you most likely inherited and didn't decide to follow yourself / had a predisposition (because of your upbringing) to follow it, to answer whether there is intelligent life apart from what is on earth. You did not think once, you just said what you were supposed to say according to your religion. Congratulations.

Are you an idiot? Don't you think that I can think for myself? I didn't just say it becuase I'm 'supposed' to. I said it becuase that is what I believe in because I'm christian not because I have. And also there are many things that I disagree with in the christian faith...
If by aliens you mean sentient life, I went to a very persuasive talk that argued it's extremely unlikely there's sentient life in our Galaxy (the argument basically being that if sentient life were to exist, it would be incomparably advanced in comparison to humans and there are good arguments as to why this means we'd probably already know of their existence). So for practical purposes, probably not.

If you mean life in general, then yes.

Original post by Blue_Mason
Laws of nature must still dictate on any living thing, so for example I do not believe that humanity can maintain itself for a million years as something had to give

The moment a species leaves its home planet and starts colonising others, it has pretty much immortalised itself (or at the very least, its legacy). Assuming a species can get to that point, it's perfectly possible that it could sustain itself for millions of years, if not more.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't think there are, but den again I have never seen so cant really say
Yep
Until there is direct, irrefutable evidence that they exist, I don't 'believe' in aliens.
I voted yes, but clearly we have no solid evidence for any existing yet. However it does seem highly, highly probable that there is other life out there given the size of the universe and hence the incalculable number of habitable, 'goldilocks-zone' planets.
Reply 69
Original post by Alexion
We will never meet an intelligent life form from another planet.

It is highly likely that there is/was/will be another intelligent species somewhere in the Universe. But:

~ Humans have only existed for a fraction of our planet's life-supporting timeframe
~ We haven't even discovered basic alien life let alone intelligent
~ I believe FTL travel won't be possible so meeting them is out of the question even if they exist

And my favourite point:

~ Our intelligence/intrigue/technological developments is/are effectively a side-effect(s) of our evolutionary dominance so even highly intelligent alien life is unlikely to have the technology to communicate with us, whether contact is made or not.

Not sure what you mean by the last point

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dontudare
Theres trillons of planets out there...

*banned*
*alien abduction*
*rip*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aliens in general? Almost certainly exist out in the Universe somewhere, statistically impossible for there not to be any.
Aliens on Earth? Definitely not, only conspiracy theorists or daily mail readers believe in that stuff.
Yes,
> Because one of the theories of life on earth is that a seed or other microorganism some how made it to our planet from another planet which already had life through space.

> You can never be sure... (Who knows, i might be the super intelligent alien. LOL)

>Spiecualtions of life on Mars

>The odds of us being the ONLY planet with life is very unlikely. If Earth is habitable then there must be other planets that can be lived on.
Original post by Drewski
Because, at a time when traveling anywhere was limited to about 8mph, communities on opposite sides of the planet all built shelters in exactly the same way, in exactly the same proportions, and all became uninhabited at exactly the same time, leaving those properties without a trace.

That's far too much of a coincidence for there not to have been 'outside' assistance.

But on a more basic note, the notion we are alone in the universe is incredibly arrogant.

I didn't have you down as the Von Daniken believer type Drewski. :smile:

Agree about the alone/arrogant part.
What would be the most important messages to convey to alien visitors on their arrival?

Eg, "some of us are better looking, honestly."
Reply 75
Original post by Drewski

That's far too much of a coincidence for there not to have been 'outside' assistance.

No it's not. For example, a pyramid is one of the easiest forms in which to build a large, tall structure. The laws of physics are the same whether you are in the world...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML
Not sure what you mean by the last point

We may be intelligent, but there's no guarantee that other dominant intelligent species will actually have the curiosity to try and make contact with alien civilisations.

That curiosity is kinda an evolutionary quirk of the human race - it serves us no benefit.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I didn't have you down as the Von Daniken believer type Drewski. :smile:

Agree about the alone/arrogant part.

I'm not particularly serious about it, but there are too many coincidences to just be random events.

Original post by RobML
No it's not. For example, a pyramid is one of the easiest forms in which to build a large, tall structure. The laws of physics are the same whether you are in the world...

I'm not talking about the massive structures - they are, like you say, explainable - I'm talking about the smaller community dwellings, like those found in the Orkneys, which are identical to one's found in South America and far east Asia which all existed at the same time and all suddenly depopulated at exactly the same time. There's no evidence of any sudden natural disaster that could have wiped them out and we know of nothing else that could have affected the entire globe that suddenly. What logical explanation is there beyond external intervention?
Reply 78
Original post by dontudare
Theres trillons of planets out there...

If the size of our Universe is even a millionth of what we expect it to be, I would wager that it is a mathematical impossibility that we are the only planet that supports life.
Original post by Drewski
I'm not particularly serious about it, but there are too many coincidences to just be random events.

I'm not talking about the massive structures - they are, like you say, explainable - I'm talking about the smaller community dwellings, like those found in the Orkneys, which are identical to one's found in South America and far east Asia which all existed at the same time and all suddenly depopulated at exactly the same time. There's no evidence of any sudden natural disaster that could have wiped them out and we know of nothing else that could have affected the entire globe that suddenly. What logical explanation is there beyond external intervention?

Why would Aliens be the next best logical conclusion ......

Quick Reply

Latest