The Student Room Group

Would you have children if.....?

If you had an aggressive premature balding gene in you family? I am losing my hair and I am only 18, totally sucks and very unattractive to girls, considering most girls/ people my age probably don't even think it is possible to go bald before 30. My grandad was slick bald by the time he was 22 and he's brothers went bald you too. Do you think it is cruel to pass on this totally embarrassing gene to a further generation?

Scroll to see replies

Don't be silly. Not at all. Being bald is nothing bad. Embrace your genes😘😘
No, by that logic you should only have kids if they're going to face no hardships at all in their life which is impossible it's not a life threatening condition and in all honesty, I don't see it as a huge deal. I'd be more worried about passing on my facial features lol
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
If you had an aggressive premature balding gene in you family? I am losing my hair and I am only 18, totally sucks and very unattractive to girls, considering most girls/ people my age probably don't even think it is possible to go bald before 30. My grandad was slick bald by the time he was 22 and he's brothers went bald you too. Do you think it is cruel to pass on this totally embarrassing gene to a further generation?
I was sixteen.

Just polish your head and stop being a wuss.
Reply 4
Original post by Blondie987
No, by that logic you should only have kids if they're going to face no hardships at all in their life which is impossible it's not a life threatening condition and in all honesty, I don't see it as a huge deal. I'd be more worried about passing on my facial features lol

Yes but most hardships can be dealt with. Baldness can't unless you have thousands of pounds for hair transplants.
Yes but most hardships can be dealt with. Baldness can't unless you have thousands of pounds for hair transplants.

Most hardships can only be dealt with money as well, baldness is in no way comparable to some of the hardships many people have to face
Reply 6
Innit. I'm autistic and depressive - and these both run in the family. Not only that, but my fiancée is achondroplastic.

So the children we have will have a 50/50 chance of being dwarves and will almost certainly be depressive aspies like me, my father, and his father.
Reply 7
Most hardships can only be dealt with money as well, baldness is in no way comparable to some of the hardships many people have to face

Ok I bet you would never date a bald man would you? Going bald at 18 and seeing all your friends be able to get girlfriends when most girls won't even look at you?
Original post by Tootles
Innit. I'm autistic and depressive - and these both run in the family. Not only that, but my fiancée is achondroplastic.

So the children we have will have a 50/50 chance of being dwarves and will almost certainly be depressive aspies like me, my father, and his father.

And you still want to have children? Don't you feel bad for throwing them into a life which will most likely consist mainly of suffering (depression)?

As soon as i saw the thread title i said in my mind no.

Genetical engineering can help stuff like this....
Original post by futurenurse99
Don't be silly. Not at all. Being bald is nothing bad. Embrace your genes😘😘

Not really genes you want to embrace though are they?
Ok I bet you would never date a bald man would you? Going bald at 18 and seeing all your friends be able to get girlfriends when most girls won't even look at you?

Of course I would! It does not bother me
I can't have children. I would love to be able to have children of my own :frown: of course I can adopt but I will always wonder what my biological children would have been like. Personally, having a balding gene in the family isn't something which would prevent me having kids. Don't let it stop you. Appreciate what a precious gift it is to be able to have children at all.
Reply 13
[QUOTE=Anonymous;64749969]If you had an aggressive premature balding gene in you family? I am losing my hair and I am only 18, totally sucks and very unattractive to girls, considering most girls/ people my age probably don't even think it is possible to go bald before 30. My grandad was slick bald by the time he was 22 and he's brothers went bald you too. Do you think it is cruel to pass on this totally embarrassing gene to a further generation?
No, have no fear mate. I have a colleague with this issue and he is a complete babe magnet. Admittedly he has an intangible charm and razor sharp wit. And another colleague seems to think shaving his head completely is cool and gets by ok. Conclusion is that balding in men is no big issue at all. Saves you from grey hair angst too..
Umm definitely, I had cancer-and there is a massive possibility like 98% of a chance that that gene that I carry will be passed on to my kids. And I would love to have kids-and I will have kids later on in life, I don't think that there would be anything stopping me because of it. I know that if this does happen that my child will suffer-but I hope that by the time I do have kids, that there is some inventive technology that will remove the cancer gene, if not kill it. So yeah go for it-you have nothing to lose.
You should be grateful that you can have children at all. I can't. And if I could, I risk passing on numerous genetic conditions, which are much more serious than going bald.

Spoiler

Can I ask why you can't have kids?
Original post by RezzBerry
Can I ask why you can't have kids?

Because the medication I'm on gives babies serious health problems.

Spoiler

Sorry to hear that. Are you thinking of adopting?
Not really genes you want to embrace though are they?

You are who are you. Ofc they are something you embrace.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending