The Student Room Group

Best countries to visit solo?

:smile:
There isn't really a best country to visit solo...

If you're planning on going travelling solo I can give you recommendations of cool places to go if you give examples of what you like doing, but there isn't reallt a specific list of 'best countries' to visit, especially if nobody knows anything about you.

For example, the same people who do the whole 'gap yah' thing out in South East Asia probably aren't the kind of people who will want to go hiking along the Central Asian steppes in Kazakhstan.
Reply 2
Original post by pizzanomics
There isn't really a best country to visit solo...

If you're planning on going travelling solo I can give you recommendations of cool places to go if you give examples of what you like doing, but there isn't reallt a specific list of 'best countries' to visit, especially if nobody knows anything about you.

For example, the same people who do the whole 'gap yah' thing out in South East Asia probably aren't the kind of people who will want to go hiking along the Central Asian steppes in Kazakhstan.

I haven't travelled much so idk what to do.

Can you recommend anywhere in Europe? ty :biggrin:
Reply 3
Norway, Switzerland, Austria, Sweden, Germany, Finland? :redface:
Reply 4
Original post by luciie

Thanks :biggrin: Can I do those in winter too? any reason why those countries? :colondollar:
Original post by ibhopeful97
I haven't travelled much so idk what to do.

Can you recommend anywhere in Europe? ty :biggrin:

Yeah that's fair enough I guess. I've been travelling all over Europe but never been outside it - I went interrailing last summer with my now ex-girlfriend, probably the best thing I've ever done. If you've got the money I'd totally recommend that.

Out of the places I went, I'd probably recommend Norway if you're a solo traveller. It's suuuuuuuuper expensive, but if you stay in hostels then you can save a load of money and also meet new people. I stayed in Bergen for 2 nights in the Intermission Hostel, and as I turned up there was a group of people who were all solo travellers that had just met each other, and they all bought some camping gear and went to the top of one of the mountains in Bergen and camped up there for the night - I was so jealous because it sounded awesome! There's plenty of hiking related things to do all over Norway which is great for a solo traveller.

If you have questions about any of these countries then I'm more than happy to answer them: Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Germany, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovenia, Italy, Austria, The Netherlands, France, Spain, Gibraltar. :smile: I visited all of those on my trip except Spain and Gibraltar. Also I went to one or two cities in each country so I may not be able to answer very specific questions, plus some countries I know a lot more about anyway. :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Yeah that's fair enough I guess. I've been travelling all over Europe but never been outside it - I went interrailing last summer with my now ex-girlfriend, probably the best thing I've ever done. If you've got the money I'd totally recommend that.

Out of the places I went, I'd probably recommend Norway if you're a solo traveller. It's suuuuuuuuper expensive, but if you stay in hostels then you can save a load of money and also meet new people. I stayed in Bergen for 2 nights in the Intermission Hostel, and as I turned up there was a group of people who were all solo travellers that had just met each other, and they all bought some camping gear and went to the top of one of the mountains in Bergen and camped up there for the night - I was so jealous because it sounded awesome! There's plenty of hiking related things to do all over Norway which is great for a solo traveller.

If you have questions about any of these countries then I'm more than happy to answer them: Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Germany, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovenia, Italy, Austria, The Netherlands, France, Spain, Gibraltar. :smile: I visited all of those on my trip except Spain and Gibraltar. Also I went to one or two cities in each country so I may not be able to answer very specific questions, plus some countries I know a lot more about anyway. :biggrin:

Thanks great answer! :biggrin: How much did you spend interrailing? I was thinking of doing that but as Im a travel n00b wanted to start small.

Would Norway be good in autumn? Sounds great. Do I need to bring hiking gear?

Do you think places like Rome/Madrid/Barca are better with others? Or interrailing generally? Ive got a few friends who want to go to some places.
Europe is the easiest place to travel solo, particularly if you do something like interrailling.

If you are looking to do something more physical, there are plenty of recognised long distance walks, the Camino de Santiago being one of the most famous. http://santiago-compostela.net
Thanks great answer! :biggrin: How much did you spend interrailing? I was thinking of doing that but as Im a travel n00b wanted to start small.

Would Norway be good in autumn? Sounds great. Do I need to bring hiking gear?

Do you think places like Rome/Madrid/Barca are better with others? Or interrailing generally? Ive got a few friends who want to go to some places.

No problem. :smile:

I was out for just over 40 days, and between us we spent roughly £3000 for everything. So that includes interrail tickets and food and acommodation and flights and ferries and activities whilst travelling, the whole lot!

Yeah honestly, all the countries I went are good to go to whenever - it's only the far north in Scandinavia that's probably a lot more interesting in winter. You can bring it if you want but it will be a ballache to carry around and expensive to take on a plane, just do it how you see fit. I'm not a hiking guy so I can't really answer that properly, sorry. :frown:

I've never been to any of those cities, but I think it depends what you want to do when you're there. Are you going to take in the local culture and eat local food and go sightseeing? If so you're probably good to go by yourself, unless all your friends want to do that too in which case go together. Are you going to go out to strange pubs and bars and get drunk and do more 'fun' activities like surfing/scuba diving? Go with friends. :smile:
One of my friends is going interrailing in the summer. He's starting from France, then Germany, then the Netherlands and then he's going off to Monaco and Italy.

The idea of a gals holiday isn't appealing to me as badly as I wish it would so I'm seriously considering saving up money and doing the same as my mate but I'd do it next summer.
Original post by luciie

Don't go if you're not White, though.
No problem. :smile:

I was out for just over 40 days, and between us we spent roughly £3000 for everything. So that includes interrail tickets and food and acommodation and flights and ferries and activities whilst travelling, the whole lot!

Yeah honestly, all the countries I went are good to go to whenever - it's only the far north in Scandinavia that's probably a lot more interesting in winter. You can bring it if you want but it will be a ballache to carry around and expensive to take on a plane, just do it how you see fit. I'm not a hiking guy so I can't really answer that properly, sorry. :frown:

I've never been to any of those cities, but I think it depends what you want to do when you're there. Are you going to take in the local culture and eat local food and go sightseeing? If so you're probably good to go by yourself, unless all your friends want to do that too in which case go together. Are you going to go out to strange pubs and bars and get drunk and do more 'fun' activities like surfing/scuba diving? Go with friends. :smile:

That's pretty cheap for all those countries and two people :biggrin: I was expecting 5-6k lol.

Where would you go during autumn/winter? I'm probably going to America with the fam in summer so thats covered :colondollar: I don't know anyone who travels then.

I don't mind hiking without gear, I thought it was needed though :smile:

I'm not sure :tongue: Would you recommend backpacker hostels?
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
One of my friends is going interrailing in the summer. He's starting from France, then Germany, then the Netherlands and then he's going off to Monaco and Italy.

The idea of a gals holiday isn't appealing to me as badly as I wish it would so I'm seriously considering saving up money and doing the same as my mate but I'd do it next summer.

is he going solo? :smile:

I heard Ibiza is good for a gals holiday.
Original post by Harvey Dent
India, Pakistan, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Syria...

If you go Syria you can cross into Iraq after as well, border system means transport is highly accessible, the people are so welcoming you'll probably see a few thousand coming towards you to greet you.
is he going solo? :smile:

I heard Ibiza is good for a gals holiday.

Ibiza is very overrated tbh and expensive. My sister went to Ibiza, Magaluf,Malia and Sunnybeach (in Bulgaria) for her gals holiday and she said the last one was the cheapest and had the best nightlife.

Yup he is.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Ibiza is very overrated tbh and expensive. My sister went to Ibiza, Magaluf,Malia and Sunnybeach (in Bulgaria) for her gals holiday and she said the last one was the cheapest and had the best nightlife.

Yup he is.

Why overrated/bad nightlife? too crowded?
Original post by Quantex
Europe is the easiest place to travel solo, particularly if you do something like interrailling.

If you are looking to do something more physical, there are plenty of recognised long distance walks, the Camino de Santiago being one of the most famous. http://santiago-compostela.net

That looks cool thanks. I'm toned but not in great shape tho, but might do it.

Why is Europe the easiest place solo? Backpacker culture? :smile:
That looks cool thanks. I'm toned but not in great shape tho, but might do it.

Why is Europe the easiest place solo? Backpacker culture? :smile:

In part, it is quite easy to fall in with Americans, Aussies etc. you meet at youth hostels. It is also easier for a Brit to navigate the cultural norms in Europe, relatively safe, relatively easy to find someone who speaks English, easy crossing borders, no need to visas, single currency, etc.

Granted, a lot of those reasons are applicable to English speaking countries like New Zealand and the States, but Europe is the cheaper option.
i'd go for america
You can visit Southeast Asia which is the "best" place to travel with cheap services and wonderful places to visit. You can refer https://www.vietnamtourbooking.com/en/ for itinerary and price as well.

Quick Reply

Latest