The Student Room Group

Nasty equation help

(b) (i) Solve the equation y2 + 8 = 9y.

(ii) Hence solve the equation x3 + 8 = 9x3/2 .

I've managed to do part (i) but how on Earth do you do part (ii)? I've never been taught how to factorise or solve equations with fractional powers.
Reply 1
Original post by jessyjellytot14

I've managed to do part (i) but how on Earth do you do part (ii)? I've never been taught how to factorise or solve equations with fractional powers.

Part (i) is just a quadratic and you should be spotting the similarity between those two parts, look at how the numbers join up.

In fact, if you use the substitution u=x3/2u = x^{3/2} you'll get u2+8=9uu^2 + 8 = 9u which is precisely what you solved in the first part; so you need only back-substitute now.

Hint: Let y=x3/2y=x^{3/2}.

EDIT: Too slow.
Reply 3

You can see in equation (ii) that 3/2 * 2 = 3. I.e., one term has double the exponent of the other, hence the similarity to equation (i)
Original post by Zacken
Part (i) is just a quadratic and you should be spotting the similarity between those two parts, look at how the numbers join up.

In fact, if you use the substitution u=x3/2u = x^{3/2} you'll get u2+8=9uu^2 + 8 = 9u which is precisely what you solved in the first part; so you need only back-substitute now.

Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Hint: Let y=x3/2y=x^{3/2}.

EDIT: Too slow.

Original post by oShahpo
You can see in equation (ii) that 3/2 * 2 = 3. I.e., one term has double the exponent of the other, hence the similarity to equation (i)

Oooh okay thanks, i'll give it go
Reply 5
Oooh okay thanks, i'll give it go

No problem, let us know how you get on.

Quick Reply

Latest