The Student Room Group

Do you believe in Aliens?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hezzlington
Why would Aliens be the next logical step......

Because they have to exist. They can't not exist. Statistically it is impossible that they don't.

Taking that into account, with all the various reasons why these civilisations couldn't communicate with one another, how there's no evidence of anything else happening to them, I don't see how we can't presume something 'external' acted upon them. Whether that's aliens or not, it's something that can't be reasonably explained by 'normal' events, as far as I'm concerned.

Though I'll be the first to admit I've never studied it particularly in depth and don't really care enough to try to win people over.

It just sounds like a plausible theory to me.

Or, put it this way, what other logical explanation could there be based on the evidence / lack thereof?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
I'm not particularly serious about it, but there are too many coincidences to just be random events.

I'm not talking about the massive structures - they are, like you say, explainable - I'm talking about the smaller community dwellings, like those found in the Orkneys, which are identical to one's found in South America and far east Asia which all existed at the same time and all suddenly depopulated at exactly the same time. There's no evidence of any sudden natural disaster that could have wiped them out and we know of nothing else that could have affected the entire globe that suddenly. What logical explanation is there beyond external intervention?

Which period are you talking about, there were various worldwide atmospheric events (generally caused by Mt St Helens-style explosive volcanos) in history and prehistory. For example, the massive die-out of people in the mid-6th Century.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/sixth-century-misery-tied-not-one-two-volcanic-eruptions-180955858/?no-ist
if the universe is infinite, then somewhere eventually we must find more intelligent life forms
[video]http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/3335218360794325156/4C4F15F411FEDE723BDCBB89343EF6F2 61DA6E17/[/video]

I hope not
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Which period are you talking about, there were various worldwide atmospheric events (generally caused by Mt St Helens-style explosive volcanos) in history and prehistory. For example, the massive die-out of people in the mid-6th Century.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/sixth-century-misery-tied-not-one-two-volcanic-eruptions-180955858/?no-ist

With Skara Brae it's roughly ~4500 years ago.

When experts say: "A popular myth would have the village abandoned during a massive storm that threatened to bury it in sand instantly, but the truth is that its burial was gradual and that it had already been abandoned for what reason, no one can tell." It does make you wonder.
Original post by Drewski
With Skara Brae it's roughly ~4500 years ago.

When experts say: "A popular myth would have the village abandoned during a massive storm that threatened to bury it in sand instantly, but the truth is that its burial was gradual and that it had already been abandoned for what reason, no one can tell." It does make you wonder.

Climate change? Disease? Warfare? Competition for food resources? Rival groups dominating and replacing them? Moving to new quarters elsewhere?

Alien intervention seems a stretch.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Climate change? Disease? Warfare? Competition for food resources? Rival groups dominating and replacing them? Moving to new quarters elsewhere?

Alien intervention seems a stretch.

It is a stretch, unquestionably. But all those other notions leave evidence.

There's nothing. And they left in a hurry... Why?
Reply 87
Original post by Alexion

That curiosity is kinda an evolutionary quirk of the human race - it serves us no benefit.

Not really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fermi Paradox on a dailee baby please.
yes you ****ing idiots
I answered "no", because whenever people say the believe aliens they tend to mean aliens that have visited Earth. Glad to see none of that in this forum :smile: I think it's highly probable that a FORM of extraterrestrial life has/does/will exist.

There are a lot of limiting factors to consider that mean advanced civilizations would probably not come into contact with each other due to time and distance, even if they were to exist at the same time (something mentioned by Brian Cox)- outside our solar system, our view of the universe gets outdated quite quickly.

Nazca lines are fairly easy to do. just a series of instructions planned out beforehand. Why would aliens not just leave a massive monolith, or even just ultra-realistic geoglyphs? So are the pyramids. People forget the sway priests and pharaohs had over your standard Egyptians. Stonehenge- the rocks could have been transported from wales by glacier and thawed out, or transported by manpower- again, people were scared of anything back then, and rightly so.

As for similarities between certain civilizations, that does seem trickier to explain. but "intervention from above" whether by god or aliens, should not be the default explanation. There are only so many ways you can build a house or put up a tent, especially when space is limited. I'll read up on these though because I mostly used to believe the Pyramid / Stonehenge stuff, not small scale things.

FTL travel, in the conventional sense, is impossible. particles with mass can't travel faster than light, so even if somehow you got a ship to travel faster than light, how would you get the occupants to do it? wormholes and warp drives are fun concepts but there's no evidence for wormholes' existence or warp drives' plausibility other than some very hard maths which shows they're technically possible.

It's improbable, nigh on impossible for us to be alone- but if we're not, where is the evidence? We'll just have to wait on JWST :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm slightly amazed that so many people actually believe there are no aliens given that in our galaxy alone the latest estimates suggest that there are tens of billions of earth like planets.

It was once thought that the solar system was abnormally perfect and a rarity however Kepler has found that actually, the galaxy is teeming with planets.Once TESS goes up in 2017 there's a fair chance that we should find habitable worlds close to earth around our local red dwarfs (chances of finding planets between 5-15 light years away are high). There's a fair chance that fusion probes could be at our nearest neighbor by 2100 and that we will be conquering other worlds by 2200.
Do really smart bacteria, or bugs of some sort count as intelligent organisms or aliens? That is the only thing that I believe can live on Mars.
Reply 93
Original post by Blue_Mason
I believe that we are the only intelligent lifeforms to have ever existed.

You sure? I wouldn't call us intelligent.
Neil Degrasse Tyson is trying to find out if there's life in our very own solar system. How exciting!
I absolutely believe in aliens. There is a lot of proof they exist and have visited Earth. Not to mention there are trillions of planets and galaxies and etc...I seriously doubt that we are the ONLY life form out there.
Original post by SmileyVibe
Do really smart bacteria, or bugs of some sort count as intelligent organisms or aliens? That is the only thing that I believe can live on Mars.

Yep. :smile:
Original post by SmileyVibe

Yep :smile: any bacteria, possibly even a virus and even some things we may have never thought of!
In that case, I'm a firm believer smart organisms exist on Mars. I have doubts that little men in green have visited Planet Earth, or aliens are on planet Mars with an advanced society and culture, and somehow communicating with government in English. I believe "aliens" do exist in the solar system since virus, cells, and insects all count.
There's bound to be another planet perfect for life like Earth and that life could begin in the same way there as well.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest