The Student Room Group

Building a FULL thick chest - Advice

Going to try keep this short and not bore the f out of everyone.

Basically been training about a year and a bit (would not say consistently because of school and the general cba after a full day of a level lessons the usual)

Finish school tomorrow and start study leave, my main priority is too bring up my lacking chest. My arms are quite full about 15.5 and im quite broad. Im 6`2 so the usual chicken legs although hitting them hard from now.

My chest is just **** tbh and i do not know why. I have tried EVERYTHING from more volume to more frequency (what im doing right now) but nothing helps. I see people who have been training for a few months get nice chests and im out here looking like some 12 year old bitxh.

Someone help me out, is it genetics or am i just doing it wrong. I bench about 70kg lol and some days i can do 80-85 other days im just back at 65kg sucks man. One of you brahs help me out, i need to grow these tities.

Probably should also add that; my chest SUCKS from the side and the middle is non existent, it looks half decent after a chest session but when i look in the mirror from a distance the feels i get i could cry man, feels bad man.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Whats your routine?
What can you rep whilst benching?
Whats your form like? - video would help
How heavy are you?
Reply 2
Original post by Angry cucumber
Whats your routine?
What can you rep whilst benching?
Whats your form like? - video would help
How heavy are you?

1) Tried pretty much everything, PPL, Upper/Lower, the "bro-split" and the 4 day split.

2) Varies like the weight there are days i can do 85kg for 10 and other days where i can just about scrap a 5x5 with 70kg.

3) On bench press i would say i do not really feel it, i have tried "squeezing at the top" and all sorts. I dont really get chest doms anymore either, some say this is a sign of ineffective training but i think it is to do with me having higher frequency and now they are used to the split.

4) I weigh about 76kg and im about 6`2 (sucks i know) - What would you say is a god weight for that height, the problem is im genetically quite broad so look heavier than i am, arms are about 15.5 but look skinny. Just need to get some advice i am about 20 weeks out from freshers
Original post by WannabeZyzz
1) Tried pretty much everything, PPL, Upper/Lower, the "bro-split" and the 4 day split.

2) Varies like the weight there are days i can do 85kg for 10 and other days where i coan just about scrap a 5x5 with 70kg.

3) On bench press i would say i do not really feel it, i have tried "squeezing at the top" and all sorts. I dont really get chest doms anymore either, some say this is a sign of ineffective training but i think it is to do with me having higher frequency and now they are used to the split.

4) I weigh about 76kg and im about 6`2 (sucks i know) - What would you say is a god weight for that height, the problem is im genetically quite broad so look heavier than i am, arms are about 15.5 but look skinny. Just need to get some advice i am about 20 weeks out from freshers

If you can bench 85kg for 10 and have no chest muscle then your form must be pretty wrong, you must be all triceps and deltoid tbh, especially if u got 15.5 arms with 0 chest
I was guilty of this kinda thing too once, although still developed the chest
Best to focus on form, drop the weight, put your ass properly on the bench, bring your shoulders back, tense your lats, and push without bringing your shoulders forward
U will find you are weak and it feels nasty, but it's gotta be done
You could also widen your grip

2) Varies like the weight there are days i can do 85kg for 10 and other days where i can just about scrap a 5x5 with 70kg.

1) That would be a primary source of your problem. You have no plan, it is hard to progress
2) Your form probably sucks.
3)Form + do paused bench (quick 1, 2 count). DOMS also means **** all for muscle growth. In fact it means **** all period
4) You need to eat more and your arms look skinny probably because you're lanky. Going to take a while to not look like it.

What's your other lifts? Squat/ overhead press (or dumbbell overhead press) / deadlift?

Original post by Carpediemxx
If you can bench 85kg for 10 and have no chest muscle then your form must be pretty wrong, you must be all triceps and deltoid tbh, especially if u got 15.5 arms with 0 chest
Best to focus on form, drop the weight, put your ass properly on the bench, bring your shoulders back, tense your lats, and push without bringing your shoulders forward

Sup, long time no see. Hows life?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5

I wouldnt say i have "no chest muscle" its just pretty lacking. I still have a fuller chest than the average joe but i feel its just not up to par. The mid chest is my biggest issue, my outside part is pretty full but as you come to the centre it gets flatter and flatter which basically caused the chest to look flat from a range. I dont know if that makes sense, but that is more or less the issue.

I have tried locking my shoulder blades onto the bench and mind muscle connection and squeezing at the top, again this grows the part of the chest which joins the front delts but the centre remains flat.
Reply 6
1) That would be a primary source of your problem. You have no plan, it is hard to progress
2) Your form probably sucks.
3)Form + do paused bench (quick 1, 2 count). DOMS also means **** all for muscle growth. In fact it means **** all period
4) You need to eat more and your arms look skinny probably because you're lanky. Going to take a while to not look like it.

What's your other lifts? Squat/ overhead press (or dumbbell overhead press) / deadlift?

I tried the plans for like 12 weeks, i agree with you i am not consistent primarily because of revision but its just excuses i know. My form does probably suck like i mentioned above, the outer part of my chest is quite full and thick its just not consistent when you move inwards and the closer to the center the flatter it is. The part joining the front delts is thick and full but as soon as you look from a range it looks flat because its not the same thickness throughout.

Yeah im aiming to get to 85kg so (a gain of 9kg) before September; Do able do you reckon?? And then can see my conditioning. With regards to my other lifts im pretty strong (i think for my height and weight) Easily squat 150kg for 8-10reps never tried 1RPM, overhead press, ALMOST 1 plate each side currently repping 2 10s, 5kg and 2.5kg. Deadlift i dont do it, not a big fan, did 165kg under peer pressure a while back.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by brainhuman
And what's gonna happen then?

You gonna strut around the place topless so the chicks can admire your physique?

yezzir
I wouldnt say i have "no chest muscle" its just pretty lacking. I still have a fuller chest than the average joe but i feel its just not up to par. The mid chest is my biggest issue, my outside part is pretty full but as you come to the centre it gets flatter and flatter which basically caused the chest to look flat from a range. I dont know if that makes sense, but that is more or less the issue.

I have tried locking my shoulder blades onto the bench and mind muscle connection and squeezing at the top, again this grows the part of the chest which joins the front delts but the centre remains flat.

That stuff is mostly pointless anyway. The best way to get a bigger chest is [obviously] just to be stronger so that you can lift more weight. You've only been training a year and a bit and you've already tried "everything", including at least four routines ("PPL, Upper/Lower, the "bro-split" and the 4 day split"), which means you haven't stuck at anything for very long and so your progression obviously will have suffered. Pick one routine. Stick to it for the next year. Progressively overload. If you get stuck at a certain weight, deload (according to the routine) and eat more.

Also I presume you're doing more than just flat BB bench (e.g. some DB benching too)? BB is more tricep dominant for a lot of people than DBs.
I tried the plans for like 12 weeks, i agree with you i am not consistent primarily because of revision but its just excuses i know. My form does probably suck like i mentioned above, the outer part of my chest is quite full and thick its just not consistent when you move inwards and the closer to the center the flatter it is. The part joining the front delts is thick and full but as soon as you look from a range it looks flat because its not the same thickness throughout.

Yeah im aiming to get to 85kg so (a gain of 9kg) before September; Do able do you reckon?? And then can see my conditioning. With regards to my other lifts im pretty strong (i think for my height and weight) Easily squat 150kg for 8-10reps never tried 1RPM, overhead press, ALMOST 1 plate each side currently repping 2 10s, 5kg and 2.5kg. Deadlift i dont do it, not a big fan, did 165kg under peer pressure a while back.

You can't target where on your pec major/ minor grows. It either all grows or it doesn't. The shape of the muscle is genetic. Fat deposition also can change the shape

9kg in 4 months is around 1/2 a lb a week so is a decent target, if you keep progressing, you won't get too fat
Reply 10
Original post by e aí rapaz
That stuff is mostly pointless anyway. The best way to get a bigger chest is [obviously] just to be stronger so that you can lift more weight. You've only been training a year and a bit and you've already tried "everything", including at least four routines ("PPL, Upper/Lower, the "bro-split" and the 4 day split":wink:, which means you haven't stuck at anything for very long and so your progression obviously will have suffered. Pick one routine. Stick to it for the next year. Progressively overload. If you get stuck at a certain weight, deload (according to the routine) and eat more.

Also I presume you're doing more than just flat BB bench (e.g. some DB benching too)? BB is more tricep dominant for a lot of people than DBs.

Okay so what would you say is the most effective of the routines to gain mass but not look like a fat cxnt? And correct i previously only used DB as i felt like a bxtch only benching 60kg i try to incorporate different lifts to shock the muscle, not even sure if this is effective.

You can't target where on your pec major/ minor grows. It either all grows or it doesn't. The shape of the muscle is genetic. Fat deposition also can change the shape

9kg in 4 months is around 1/2 a lb a week so is a decent target, if you keep progressing, you won't get too fat

True, but i have seen alot of people who have thick outer chests and flat as fxck middle chests. Its probably because i carry fat on the outer part but that just means that if i lost that fat my chest would be as flat as the middle is. I refuse to believe that i cant change my chest shape but it looks more likely that this is genetics.

Sup, long time no see. Hows life?

Sup man, I'm good , dunno what compelled me to reply to this guy, I lurk but don't tend to post
Lifting been kinds static for a year, had other **** to do
Starting to consider ramping it up though

You?
Barbell bench is a crap exercise for bodybuilding IMO. My chest development came leaps and bounds when I switched it out for other exercises, my two favourites being dumbbell bench and Hammer Strength wide chest press.

Stick to a routine for a good while and try to progress up through the weights over time.
Reply 13
Original post by WoodyMKC
Barbell bench is a crap exercise for bodybuilding IMO. My chest development came leaps and bounds when I switched it out for other exercises, my two favourites being dumbbell bench and Hammer Strength wide chest press.

Stick to a routine for a good while and try to progress up through the weights over time.

I dont like it, but apparently it was suggested that i swap to benching to help but still nothing.

Im trying to run a Upper/Lower split twice a week, reckon that is good enough or shall i swap it up to PPL twice a week?

Im progressing on everything except chest which sucks
Sup man, I'm good , dunno what compelled me to reply to this guy, I lurk but don't tend to post
Lifting been kinds static for a year, had other **** to do
Starting to consider ramping it up though

You?

Fair play. You're a doctor iirc? You have **** to do indeed; you're strong enough to be like cba progressing tbf :lol: I'm finishing my 4th year of vet school, my lifting hasn't progressed for a couple of months cause exams are mad and the run up to them was horrendous and being highly stressed and not sleeping well doesn't aid lifting!

9kg in 4 months seems a bit excessive imo.

9kg = 20lb which (4 months x 4 weeks = 16 weeks) so 20lb/16 = 1.25lb/week x4
= 5lb/month.

5lb is a lot of weight in 1 month. I'm putting on 3lb/month, which is although slower .... but "slow and steady wins the race" :yep:
x

*looks at username*

I dont like it, but apparently it was suggested that i swap to benching to help but still nothing.

Im trying to run a Upper/Lower split twice a week, reckon that is good enough or shall i swap it up to PPL twice a week?

Im progressing on everything except chest which sucks

Upper lower is fine mate.
Original post by WoodyMKC

Yeah, this is true.

Not to mention, if you're like me and have pathetic joints, BB bench can mess your shoulders up. It's not for everyone.

What I'd suggest is benching with dumbbells. Use a neutral grip (palms facing inwards), retract your scapulae, pin your shoulders onto the bench and try to push the bench and dumbbells apart. A lot of people try and push the weight up but you need to imagine that the dumbbells and bench are coming together to crush you and you're trying to push them apart to save your life. This will help keep your back/shoulders pinned to the bench (taking some deltoid action out and stabilising your shoulder joint) and will help you exert more force.

Some people like bringing the dumbbells together at the end but I don't feel the need to do so.

To concentrate more on the clavicular (upper) head of your chest, I recommend landmine presses or champagnes. Most people do incline bench but that also messes my shoulders up and I get a much better contraction from the two exercises I mentioned.
Original post by dairychocolate
Yeah, this is true.

Not to mention, if you're like me and have pathetic joints, BB bench can mess your shoulders up. It's not for everyone.

My shoulder joints are terrible mate, my pushing strength is limited because of them. I'm strong on tricep isolation exercises but anything that requires pushing from the shoulder isn't my forté :lol: My favourite chest builder is definitely the Hammer Strength machine, gives me no shoulder niggles and has really helped my chest out.

Quick Reply

Latest