The Student Room Group

I lied about my periods (Muslim)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherryred90s
It really is only about 4 tablespoons of blood. Its just mixed with a bunch of other stuff

oh
what's the other stuff?

Original post by nisha.sri
Just tell her the truth it's the best thing you can do :smile: Trust me :wink:

ok XD
Original post by Anonymous
yes.

it's not a bad thing? it's good to have your period, have you seen the effects delaying a period has for example when using birth control pills etc? it's a natural process. also http://www.drashford.com/faq/q-do-periods-cleanse-the-body-of-toxins-if-i-dont-have-a-period-will-toxins-build-up/

It's not that I feel unworthy of prayer loool I'm glad I don't have to pray on my period it's a big ass break!! It's not the shame of not being pregnant that doesn't even come into it lmao bloody hell.

I'm aware it's a natural process.

Islam has shown thata woman is unclean if she is on her period. Islam says the same thing for those who are sinners...they too are unclean. Islam has said you are not worthy for prayer during your period... you're not allowed to read the Quran.

By treating you differently during your period (and not in a good way), shows the mindset Islam has over basic natural processes.

It's interesting that you say it gives you a break from praying... you have basically said that prayer is a burden on you. Surely you should want to not be on your period so you could pray , rather than look forward to your period,so you can have your "big ass break".

The only thing I can think of is back in the day, women didn't have pads, tampons etc, so your period would have been so much messier than now. But no one has actually mentioned that yet. Instead it's been supported that it is dirty. So I'm going to assume this "back in the day " thing isn't the context to read it in.
MUSLIMS:

I am a guy and Muslim to the white folk and a brother in Islam to my homies in Islam.

Girls don't pray or read Quran in their periods??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????/

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?????? ARE BEING F****** SERIOUS!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!??!!?!?!?! WHY THE F NOT????????

Want to make clear I say this because I was surprised. I have a mum and 2 sisters and never heard of this (thank god otherwise I'd be scarred).

I understand though because as a guy I hear periods etc can be painful but dunno but was just gobsmacked as in 16 years I have never heard this!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Butternuts96
It's not circumstantial for muslims. Muslims believe that all good comes from God and all bad (pain/problems/afflictions) comes from God and Muhammed (peace and prayers upon him) said that any discomfort/pain will be rewarded. He also mentioned that those who have not been afflicted by discomforts in this life (and have mainly been having a painfree life) will wish that they had gone through pain.

It's not a good deed in the conventional sense but the good deed lies in persevering and showing patience during that time. The point you made about "If it's such a good deed, then why can't you read Quran during that time?" has flawed logic. A man and wife making a child is considered a good deed but post-sex, neither of them can have their prayers deemed valid UNTIL they take a bath. Isn't praying a good deed? Doesn't matter. They are both unclean.

I understand the logic in terms of if you life is hard now, it will be easier in heaven. What I don't understand is why women are made to go through this, but men aren't. What's the male equivalent to monthly blessing?

I didn't know about the making a child,and having a bath thing. Why is that ? The reason this is all confusing for me,is that surely being unclean is in the mind, rather than physically on the body? So what if you didn't shower that day, or didn't wash your hands or you're on your period. That doesn't make you any further away from God as the next person right...that's just physicality. If you spiritually love god,and mentally stand by him,then why is your physical cleanliness an issue?
Original post by Jeff458.
MUSLIMS:

I am a guy and Muslim to the white folk and a brother in Islam to my homies in Islam.

Girls don't pray or read Quran in their periods??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????/

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?????? ARE BEING F****** SERIOUS!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!??!!?!?!?! WHY THE F NOT????????

Want to make clear I say this because I was surprised. I have a mum and 2 sisters and never heard of this (thank god otherwise I'd be scarred).

I understand though because as a guy I hear periods etc can be painful but dunno but was just gobsmacked as in 16 years I have never heard this!
Original post by Jeff458.
MUSLIMS:

lol yeh
do you not have sisters? they probably hide it from you.
Currently Facing an issue where I lied to my mum that I was on my periods so she would stop bugging me about praying 24/7 and waking me up in the morning.

Well we today she was like when are you gonna shower cause it's been ages (as in the special one to purify yourself after periods) n i was like Yh. Went to take a shower n I've genuinely started my periods so like err.

I know I can pretend to pray but the issue lies in: My mum makes us read Quran everyday (which is why she knows it's been 10 days) and you can't read on your period!! Idk what to do its a big sin to read the Quran on your period...

I don't know how old you are but my understanding is periods can be irregular in teenagers...just tell your mum you've had an irregular period but that its normal?
lol yeh
do you not have sisters? they probably hide it from you.

Were you explained why? Like obv in Islam we're told things and explained things. We're you explained why you don't read or pray in your periods?

I'm also pretty cba about women attitude so how often and long is a period? Don't want to google it :frown:
X

Respectfully, you never cared about the sin of not praying or lying to your parents, but now suddenly realise reciting a Koran whilst on your period is forbidden?

Such drivel is rarely found
Original post by stargirl63
I understand the logic in terms of if you life is hard now, it will be easier in heaven. What I don't understand is why women are made to go through this, but men aren't. What's the male equivalent to monthly blessing?

I didn't know about the making a child,and having a bath thing. Why is that ? The reason this is all confusing for me,is that surely being unclean is in the mind, rather than physically on the body? So what if you didn't shower that day, or didn't wash your hands or you're on your period. That doesn't make you any further away from God as the next person right...that's just physicality. If you spiritually love god,and mentally stand by him,then why is your physical cleanliness an issue?

You want me to explain to you why God gave women periods? That's something we can all ask God on the Day of Judgement but at this moment in time, I can't explain that.

Male's don't have an equivalent for that. Men and women are equal but have different ROLES in Islam. God said that in the Quran.

In Islam, if you have sex, you must have a bath to clean yourself before you can pray because after having sex, the muslim is in major impurity and so must have a bath/shower (a big ablution) to clean himself. This needs to be done or the prayer won't be valid. Also, besides sex, we need to make a small ablution everytime we pray or else the prayer won't be valid. It's just a rule in Islam, Because we are praying to God, we must pray it according to His standard of cleanliness or it won't be accepted.

I know I can pretend to pray but the issue lies in: My mum makes us read Quran everyday (which is why she knows it's been 10 days) and you can't read on your period!! Idk what to do its a big sin to read the Quran on your period...

Do you not think that is a bit silly?
Currently Facing an issue where I lied to my mum that I was on my periods so she would stop bugging me about praying 24/7 and waking me up in the morning.

Well we today she was like when are you gonna shower cause it's been ages (as in the special one to purify yourself after periods) n i was like Yh. Went to take a shower n I've genuinely started my periods so like err.

You should ask yourself find why your really bothering to hide it?
Everyones talking about religion..but I don't think I've prayed since I left school over 9 years ago :redface: and that was forced at a catholic school! Fair play to you guys!
Original post by mohamedomar97
You should ask yourself find why your really bothering to hide it?

Because I would get told off.
have everything taken away, my phone laptop etc and it's not like I am allowed to go out with friends whenever either so that's my main source of out-of-school contact.
not praying = basically not muslim anymore.
my parents would be like we are not supporting a "non-muslim" child, she'd probably stop buying "extra" food aka all there will be to eat is the one meal she cooks a day and apparently that's enough for a growing child because it's "Enough" for her.

in short, that ^.
no I am not running away or going to social services or anything stupid like that lol I'll stay with my parents for materialistic reasons until I earn enough. It's not that easy when you're particularly used to a upper class lifestyle :/.
because I haven't commit zina yet.

What so you think people should be stoned for fornication?
Original post by karl pilkington
What so you think people should be stoned for fornication?

no your original comment was stupid.

indeed and pisslam it is hahahahaha :biggrin:
Wow is this legit? So women can't touch the Qu'ran while on their period? Tbf I think in ye olde times the Bible said equally amusing things, here it is....

"When a woman has a discharge, and the discharge in her body is blood, she shall be in her menstrual impurity for seven days, and whoever touches her shall be unclean until the evening. 20 And everything on which she lies during her menstrual impurity shall be unclean. Everything also on which she sits shall be unclean. 21 And whoever touches her bed shall wash his clothes and bathe himself in water and be unclean until the evening. 22 And whoever touches anything on which she sits shall wash his clothes and bathe himself in water and be unclean until the evening. 23 Whether it is the bed or anything on which she sits, when he touches it he shall be unclean until the evening. 24 And if any man lies with her and her menstrual impurity comes upon him, he shall be unclean seven days, and every bed on which he lies shall be unclean."

Lol can you imagine that? Your partner is on her period, she sits on the couch, bam it's unclean, as are you when you sit on it. She's in bed with you? Bed is now unclean, you are unclean, touched her shoulder? Oops...you are now tainted. Thankfully we tend to wash ourselves every day anyway, and we're unclean until the evening...so I guess at night it's okay to be in contact? Or does that make you unclean again until the next evening? I don't wash my trousers/hoodies etc daily, so they're tainted for sure. Then if you get any menstrual blood on you, you pass on the curse of making beds unclean! All this laundry ffs!

But seriously it seems rather idiotic, someone menstruating does not effect the cleanness of their hands. It is also not "dirty", it is a biological process which forms part of the monthly reproductive cycle, something I'd have thought a damn God would understand considering it decided against making humans induced ovulators, which would at least solve this problem if we use the religious idea of sex only being for reproduction.

It is almost as if these ancient religious texts where actually written by mortal men who are totally oblivious to the workings of the female body and went along the mindset of "eww bloody stuff is coming out...eww get it away!".
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by joey11223
Wow is this legit? So women can't touch the Qu'ran while on their period? Tbf I think in ye olde times the Bible said equally amusing things, here it is....

"When a woman has a discharge, and the discharge in her body is blood, she shall be in her menstrual impurity for seven days, and whoever touches her shall be unclean until the evening. 20 And everything on which she lies during her menstrual impurity shall be unclean. Everything also on which she sits shall be unclean. 21 And whoever touches her bed shall wash his clothes and bathe himself in water and be unclean until the evening. 22 And whoever touches anything on which she sits shall wash his clothes and bathe himself in water and be unclean until the evening. 23 Whether it is the bed or anything on which she sits, when he touches it he shall be unclean until the evening. 24 And if any man lies with her and her menstrual impurity comes upon him, he shall be unclean seven days, and every bed on which he lies shall be unclean."

Lol can you imagine that? Your partner is on her period, she sits on the couch, bam it's unclean, as are you when you sit on it. She's in bed with you? Bed is now unclean, you are unclean, touched her shoulder? Oops...you are now tainted.

that's not the same in islam looool.
you can touch things etc
and you can still do sexual things except intercouse itself when she's menstruating.
that's not the same in islam looool.
you can touch things etc
and you can still do sexual things except intercouse itself when she's menstruating.

can't touch the holy book though yeah?

Surely you can't do other sexual things if the recommendation is to keep your distance from woman while they're menstruating?

"They question thee (O Muhammad) concerning menstruation. Say: It is an illness, so let women alone at such times and go not in unto them till they are cleansed. And when they have purified themselves, then go in unto them as Allah hath enjoined upon you."

It appears to both recommend keeping your distance and not attempting sexual intercourse.
Original post by joey11223

Lol can you imagine that? Your partner is on her period, she sits on the couch, bam it's unclean, as are you when you sit on it. She's in bed with you? Bed is now unclean, you are unclean, touched her shoulder? Oops...you are now tainted. Thankfully we tend to wash ourselves every day anyway, and we're unclean until the evening...so I guess at night it's okay to be in contact? Or does that make you unclean again until the next evening? I don't wash my trousers/hoodies etc daily, so they're tainted for sure. Then if you get any menstrual blood on you, you pass on the curse of making beds unclean! All this laundry ffs!

But seriously it seems rather idiotic, someone menstruating does not effect the cleanness of their hands. It is also not "dirty", it is a biological process which forms part of the monthly reproductive cycle, something I'd have thought a damn God would understand considering it decided against making humans induced ovulators, which would at least solve this problem if we use the religious idea of sex only being for reproduction.

It is almost as if these ancient religious texts where actually written by mortal men who are totally oblivious to the workings of the female body and went along the mindset of "eww bloody stuff is coming out...eww get it away!".

HAHA!!! Can you imagine if they had sex while the woman was on? All hell would break lose!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending