The Student Room Group

Adult nursing year 2....

I'm getting ahead of myself (only 6 weeks in of year 1) but I find I'm being told "oooo wait till year 2) a lot. I'm at uclan so not sure if it's different for all other unis? But we already have a lot to think about and a lot to do. I feel I'm finally getting my head around things but I can't imagine having loads more than we already have if that makes sense? I know it's a level higher. Just wanted a proper insight on what I actually have to be afraid of lol x

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was told this.
I think it depends in your field of nursing and your uni.
Mine we have a lot of exams as well as assignments and presentations.
Adult in second year do a lot of pathology etc. Whereas my field has been a lot more theory about syndromes, genetics, behavior, manifestations of syndromes etc and then the nursing care and assessment of such.
A lot of people will say this to either scare or prepare you but don't worry until you're there as everyone deals with it differently.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wbnurse
I'm getting ahead of myself (only 6 weeks in of year 1) but I find I'm being told "oooo wait till year 2) a lot. I'm at uclan so not sure if it's different for all other unis? But we already have a lot to think about and a lot to do. I feel I'm finally getting my head around things but I can't imagine having loads more than we already have if that makes sense? I know it's a level higher. Just wanted a proper insight on what I actually have to be afraid of lol x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Each year is a bit different, you will have more responsibility and will be able to do more. It definitely shouldn't feel like a huge leap from year 1 though, as you'll have progressed gradually and learnt more, and become more confident in your abilities. You can expect less supervision and more of a role in clinical tasks, as an example. It will seem a bit scary just now, but will be more of a natural progression when the time comes.
Reply 3
Original post by wbnurse

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, im thinking of applying to uclan to studying nursing next march. Will it not be too late if i apply for it when ucas application opens again for 2017 entries? So before jan 15th of 2017

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Zainab96
Hi, im thinking of applying to uclan to studying nursing next march. Will it not be too late if i apply for it when ucas application opens again for 2017 entries? So before jan 15th of 2017

Posted from TSR Mobile

UCAS should be open approx 15th September time for 2017

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thankyou guys! I think I'm just getting myself worried about nothing really. I know my skills will improve so il be a lot more prepared for it....hopefully!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wbnurse
Thankyou guys! I think I'm just getting myself worried about nothing really. I know my skills will improve so il be a lot more prepared for it....hopefully!

Posted from TSR Mobile

In 2nd year there is a little more to do for your assignments and you may have your placement at the same time but they give your deadlines soon enough for you to get organised. Plan your semester and you will be fine.
Original post by Charlotte49
Each year is a bit different, you will have more responsibility and will be able to do more. It definitely shouldn't feel like a huge leap from year 1 though, as you'll have progressed gradually and learnt more, and become more confident in your abilities. You can expect less supervision and more of a role in clinical tasks, as an example. It will seem a bit scary just now, but will be more of a natural progression when the time comes.

This is exactly how I found it - a gradual progression. But trust me OP, when you get to 3rd year and look back at yourself as a 1st year, you will be amazed at how much you have learnt and developed in a relatively short space of time. Yet it doesn't really feel like you have learnt fast. It's weird.
Original post by PaediatricStN
This is exactly how I found it - a gradual progression. But trust me OP, when you get to 3rd year and look back at yourself as a 1st year, you will be amazed at how much you have learnt and developed in a relatively short space of time. Yet it doesn't really feel like you have learnt fast. It's weird.

I agree completely, you don't realise how much you're learning most of the time, probably because most of your actual nursing knowledge and learning how to care for your patients is from placement rather than lectures. Once you learn to communicate well with your patients it makes everything 10 times easier too. Don't get me wrong, I definitely have had moments (and days) where I've felt like I know nothing and I'm not ready to be a nurse, but there are also so many days where I've surprised myself by knowing something I didn't think I knew.
Original post by Charlotte49
I agree completely, you don't realise how much you're learning most of the time, probably because most of your actual nursing knowledge and learning how to care for your patients is from placement rather than lectures. Once you learn to communicate well with your patients it makes everything 10 times easier too. Don't get me wrong, I definitely have had moments (and days) where I've felt like I know nothing and I'm not ready to be a nurse, but there are also so many days where I've surprised myself by knowing something I didn't think I knew.

I kinda did this the other day... I admitted a patient with a Hickman line and suddenly found myself asking when the dressing was last changed etc... Then I thought "When did I ever learn to ask that!?"
Original post by PaediatricStN
I kinda did this the other day... I admitted a patient with a Hickman line and suddenly found myself asking when the dressing was last changed etc... Then I thought "When did I ever learn to ask that!?"

I still find this 4 years later. Yesterday I was assisting one of the junior nurses care for a very acutely unwell lady who eventually went to ICU. I was explaining things to her and helping her with all the pumps and I thought to myself, "Jesus, when the hell did I learn this??" Haha.
Reply 11
The thing I'm finding hard is all the jargon. Today they was on about certain operations for certain parts and I was like OMG WHAT! It had immediately gone out of my head. I get scared il be faced with a patient with tons of history and very unwell and il have no idea where to start or to even explain to this person that I fully understand what has its happened. I want to be the nurse than sit with you and tell you what operation you've just had, explain to them in easy terms to put them at ease. At the moment I'm leaning towards surgery because that's all I know so I can't help but reflect to my old job and think my god how do they remember all this?! How has that sister just literally diagnosed that patient before the doctor. Like I sai I know I'm going way to far ahead of myself but I can't help it I want to be the best I can be. Thankyou all for your replies xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wbnurse
The thing I'm finding hard is all the jargon. Today they was on about certain operations for certain parts and I was like OMG WHAT! It had immediately gone out of my head. I get scared il be faced with a patient with tons of history and very unwell and il have no idea where to start or to even explain to this person that I fully understand what has its happened. I want to be the nurse than sit with you and tell you what operation you've just had, explain to them in easy terms to put them at ease. At the moment I'm leaning towards surgery because that's all I know so I can't help but reflect to my old job and think my god how do they remember all this?! How has that sister just literally diagnosed that patient before the doctor. Like I sai I know I'm going way to far ahead of myself but I can't help it I want to be the best I can be. Thankyou all for your replies xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will get there. You are not expected to know everything on placement and most patients will know that you won't know everything and that you are there to observe, learn and practice. Every time you hear a type of surgery, body part, investigation that you don't know about go and observe, ask questions and research it. I've been qualified for 4 years and I still don't know everything. I come across new medical things every day and if you throw me into a different speciality I would probably feel uncomfortable. I am a medical nurse so I know a little bit about everything, but throw me into somewhere like ICU with all those machines and I wouldn't have a clue. It all comes with experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending