Can anyone do questions 7 and 8? 7 b ii onwards
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Lucasium
A couple harder polar curves questions. I didn't make any useful progress
image.jpg
Can anyone do questions 7 and 8?

Any specific parts you're stuck on?
the first part of q7 is easier if you reflect the curve in the line y = x ... then it is just a simple integral wrt x. the limits are not hard to find.
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken
Any specific parts you're stuck on?

All apart from 7 a and 7bi
Reply 4
All apart from 7 a and 7bi

7(b) (ii) is simple a matter of recognising that r2=x2+y2r^2 = x^2 + y^2 and x=rcosθx = r\cos \theta so your equation becomes r2=(2rcosθ)2r^2 = (2 - r\cos \theta)^2 after which, some re-arranging and simplifying and solving for rr in terms of θ\theta gets you where you need to be.
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
7(b) (ii) is simple a matter of recognising that r2=x2+y2r^2 = x^2 + y^2 and x=rcosθx = r\cos \theta so your equation becomes r2=(2rcosθ)2r^2 = (2 - r\cos \theta)^2 after which, some re-arranging and simplifying and solving for rr in terms of θ\theta gets you where you need to be.

I tried but only got this farimage.jpg
Reply 6
A couple harder polar curves questions. I didn't make any useful progress
image.jpg
Can anyone do questions 7 and 8?

1=cos(0) from here you can use the (half?) angle formulas that are included in C3 but were most likely not taught in detail.
Reply 7
I tried but only got this far

Bit unwieldy?

r2=(2rcosθ)2±r=2rcosθr(cosθ±1)=2r=2cosθ±1r^2 = (2-r\cos \theta)^2 \Rightarrow \pm r = 2-r\cos \theta \Rightarrow r (\cos \theta \pm 1) = 2 \Rightarrow r = \frac{2}{\cos \theta \pm 1}

From which it suffices to see that rr must be positive so you take r=2cosθ+1r = \frac{2}{\cos \theta + 1}
Reply 8
Original post by Olipoo
1=cos(0) from here you can use the (half?) angle formulas that are included in C3 but were most likely not taught in detail.

For which question?
Reply 9
For which question?

Given that you've repped my post, I take it you've understood - in which case, can you then see how the integral is a multiple of 12r2dθ\frac{1}{2}\int r^2 \, \mathrm{d}\theta which is the area of something you've already found so adjusting for the multiple gets you the required answer.
Reply 10
For which question?

7c
Reply 11
Good work guys, I appreciate it. Let's move on to question 8
Reply 12
Good work guys, I appreciate it. Let's move on to question 8

Same thing, write x2+3y2=x2+y2+2y2=r2+2(rsinθ)2x^2 + 3y^2 = x^2 + y^2 + 2y^2 = r^2 + 2(r\sin \theta)^2 re-arrange, blah blah.
Reply 13
Original post by Zacken
Same thing, write x2+3y2=x2+y2+2y2=r2+2(rsinθ)2x^2 + 3y^2 = x^2 + y^2 + 2y^2 = r^2 + 2(r\sin \theta)^2 re-arrange, blah blah.

These questions are harder than usual aren't they? I haven't had such an issue before
Reply 14
These questions are harder than usual aren't they? I haven't had such an issue before

I wouldn't know - I'm not on your exam board, so I'll defer to your judgement.
Reply 15
Original post by Zacken
I wouldn't know - I'm not on your exam board, so I'll defer to your judgement.

I've just received news that the booklet is a mix of aqa and MEI, so concern over. It's no excuse but it makes me feel a little better
I've just received news that the booklet is a mix of aqa and MEI, so concern over. It's no excuse but it makes me feel a little better

Could you link this booklet?
Reply 17
Original post by Argylesocksrox
Could you link this booklet?

I suppose I'll take and upload pictures tomorrow, it's a big booklet
I suppose I'll take and upload pictures tomorrow, it's a big booklet

Thanks mate :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest