The Student Room Group

Leaving the EU will make the EU defenceless? (!NO THE EU MAKES US DEFENCELESS!)

Well that could be true, But if we stay in and there was a war we could be cut off from supply's & with a growing population on a island nation like the UK it will make it hard to keep supplying food to the UK in a war with there been so many people and a island country that can't supply ALL it's own food is bad as an enemy could starve us out.

So we should get out, and focus on reducing immigration before it is too late and just sign some military agreements to help in a EU war with the east.

This is the way to a better UK.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
O.K. Then.
Do you have any other insights on how to solve other major issues?
Reply 2
Original post by BaronK
O.K. Then.
Do you have any other insights on how to solve other major issues?

Yes! We take big American loans from Donald Trump & Build up large military claiming it is to assist against ISIL then we launch back at the USA claiming that the USA is our's and the Independence bill is all wrong!

The debt then does not need to be paid to the USA as it no longer exists.
Reply 3
OP is obsessed with food and war. I think if there is a war, people should eat him to save him from more worry about lack of food.
Reply 4
Original post by Maker
OP is obsessed with food and war. I think if there is a war, people should eat him to save him from more worry about lack of food.

But then you would face lock up.
Reply 5
Original post by 2016_GCSE
Well that could be true, But if we stay in and there was a war we could be cut off from supply's & with a growing population on a island nation like the UK it will make it hard to keep supplying food to the UK in a war with there been so many people and a island country that can't supply ALL it's own food is bad as an enemy could starve us out.

So we should get out, and focus on reducing immigration before it is too late and just sign some military agreements to help in a EU war with the east.

This is the way to a better UK.

Unlikely scenario
If you're worried about us being cut off from supplies in the event of a war, your concern should be more about funding the Royal Navy rather than the result of the EU referendum.
UK got most of its food in the last war from redirecting the manpower of the colonies (esp India) which is why there was famine in that region.

Today we'd be pretty screwed if someone sanctioned us. I don't think we produce anywhere near enough food without imports.
Reply 8
Original post by M14B
Unlikely scenario

Unlikely, We don't see war everyday, but with the trigger of nuclear warfare especially with the current heat between Russia and the west from thing like this, Showing a spike in relations tearing away on both sides, War is closer than ever! (Both in the last day alone):

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-missile-defense-romania-russia-nato-defenses/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/raf-typhoon-jets-scramble-to-intercept-russian-aircraft-approaching-baltic-airspace-a7026876.html

War is more likely than ever and the most likely cause is probably Russia's responses at the moment.

It won't be long till someone shoots down Russian military aircraft that comes across some country's airspace causing some large NATO response leading to WW3.
Reply 9
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
UK got most of its food in the last war from redirecting the manpower of the colonies (esp India) which is why there was famine in that region.

Today we'd be pretty screwed if someone sanctioned us. I don't think we produce anywhere near enough food without imports.

You are very true and this is the point i am really pushing towards.

We have to cap our population sometime soon or things would get real out of hand in a war.

(Which is not far from possible)
Reply 10
Original post by MagicNMedicine
If you're worried about us being cut off from supplies in the event of a war, your concern should be more about funding the Royal Navy rather than the result of the EU referendum.

The Royal Navy can't do much, It's more about Air Superiority these day's.

Image: Exocet missile (Falklands war reconstruction)
You are very true and this is the point i am really pushing towards.

We have to cap our population sometime soon or things would get real out of hand in a war.

(Which is not far from possible)

I don't think we will ever be independent enough to produce all of our food, the key is to continue trading with those other countries and ensure anyone we go to war with can't starve us off. With rationing it helps, generally there's a few good people who will be willing to supply food and organize relief for free if trade dies, but it's not a great solution.
Reply 12
If leaving the EU destroys the EU and leaves it defenceless, more reason to vote OUT for me. I want to see the EU fail
I am very glad that OP cannot yet vote, not because I disagree with him on his conclusions (although I do), but rather because his rhetoric is simply nonsense.
Reply 14
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
I don't think we will ever be independent enough to produce all of our food, the key is to continue trading with those other countries and ensure anyone we go to war with can't starve us off. With rationing it helps, generally there's a few good people who will be willing to supply food and organize relief for free if trade dies, but it's not a great solution.

I think our Military Budget needs to be upped.

If Russia came stomping across the North Sea tomorrow with a large fleet of aircraft or even worse sends a NUKE would we be safe?

Probably not and certainly not with a NUKE.

We should really consider constructing 3 Anti-Ballistic Defence launch centres one up top of Scotland, One very south and one in North of England. With having Nuclear weapons ourselves it draws attention to us in the event of a war so we need some kind of defence from nukes in place!

If Russia came stomping across the North Sea tomorrow with a large fleet of aircraft or even worse sends a NUKE would we be safe?

We should really consider constructing 3 Anti-Ballistic Defence launch centres one up top of Scotland, One very south and one in North of England. With having Nuclear weapons ourselves it draws attention to us in the event of a war so we need some kind of defence from nukes in place!

You're right http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/raf-typhoon-jets-scramble-to-intercept-russian-aircraft-approaching-baltic-airspace-a7026876.html
Reply 16
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
I am very glad that OP cannot yet vote, not because I disagree with him on his conclusions (although I do), but rather because his rhetoric is simply nonsense.

I find my views supportable, I don't think I have made them 100% clear but I know WW3 is coming for sure.

And we certainly are not prepared as a nation for such an event!

We would be a high priority target in WW3 having nukes and having a population crisis on an island nation is very bad, If there was a war we would be drained of supply's starving our nation causing an easy win for the enemy.

Now I know what your thinking, "WW3 isn't going to happen" Well can we be sure? Russia is becoming real tense at the moment it is becoming a ticking time bomb, Russia has shown 2 act's of aggression towards NATO just today alone! So if you ask me WW3 is on it's way and we need to change this country around and be prepared.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
To anyone who thinks "If the USA and Russia go to war why would it involve the UK?" Well it's in plain sight the USA operates numerous military bases in the UK aimed at intercepting communications and missile monitoring systems. These would be key targets in a Russia - USA war. Strikes against these bases would bring the UK in to the war.

I think you are right. Russia wouldn't dare to attack us like that, and has no real motive since it would simply mean war; but IF it DID happen, they could overload our air defences without much difficulty.
Reply 19
But then you would face lock up.

The OP is that whinny guy in films that gets on everyones' nerves and eventually gets blown away by the villain to everyones' relief including the audience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending