The Student Room Group

Transferring uni, what do I do about booked accommodation at current uni?

So it was only during the Easter break I finally decided to do something about the fact I'm not happy at my current uni and started searching for unis. I've got an offer now but I already had sorted on campus accommodation at my current uni for next year.

I haven't paid anything yet and don't have to until August but do I tell them now and cancel it? The only problem I have with that is the circumstance of where I don't meet the entry grade of the unis I applied to and remain here with no accommodation.
Original post by J'zargo
So it was only during the Easter break I finally decided to do something about the fact I'm not happy at my current uni and started searching for unis. I've got an offer now but I already had sorted on campus accommodation at my current uni for next year.

I haven't paid anything yet and don't have to until August but do I tell them now and cancel it? The only problem I have with that is the circumstance of where I don't meet the entry grade of the unis I applied to and remain here with no accommodation.

What does your accommodation contract say about a break clause?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
What does your accommodation contract say about a break clause?

I'm not sure tbh. In the first paragraph they say:
"Students will not usually be released from contractual agreements unless they are taking a period of Leave of Absence or deferring for a period of time. If you choose to leave your accommodation for any other reason, you will remain liable for the fees until the end of the occupancy period."

But in the next they say "If you are withdrawing, deferring or taking a Leave of Absence from the University..."

So in the first they don't mention it then in the next they do along with the two scenarios they said were fine for cancelling. So I've just emailed them to ask about that and explain my situation.
Original post by J'zargo
I'm not sure tbh. In the first paragraph they say:
"Students will not usually be released from contractual agreements unless they are taking a period of Leave of Absence or deferring for a period of time. If you choose to leave your accommodation for any other reason, you will remain liable for the fees until the end of the occupancy period."

But in the next they say "If you are withdrawing, deferring or taking a Leave of Absence from the University..."

So in the first they don't mention it then in the next they do along with the two scenarios they said were fine for cancelling. So I've just emailed them to ask about that and explain my situation.

That's not very well worded but I recon you re right :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest