The Student Room Group

Unicorn's Kingdom MKII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SassKing13
That looks so cool! :biggrin:

yeah, it is :biggrin: i've been reading it all afternoon/evening and it is actually quite amazing....

i bet you or @Amellia123 can't guess what is at #1? :tongue:

it also has a list of the top 50 artists of all-time and some of them are actually quite surprising :redface:

oh and, it has a list of the top worst albums ever made :rofl:

and there was actually something that was weird... apparently more people listen to music from the 70s and 90s, and not many listen to the 80s :redface:
Original post by bookworm246love
yeah, it is :biggrin: i've been reading it all afternoon/evening and it is actually quite amazing....

i bet you or @Amellia123 can't guess what is at #1? :tongue:

it also has a list of the top 50 artists of all-time and some of them are actually quite surprising :redface:

oh and, it has a list of the top worst albums ever made :rofl:

and there was actually something that was weird... apparently more people listen to music from the 70s and 90s, and not many listen to the 80s :redface:

No idea, I'm not good at estimating :tongue:

Ah I see :smile: What are some of the top ones?

Hmmm...maybe people get put off because they think of the 80s as cheesy with big hair and one-hit wonders :rofl: but the 80s had a lot of talented bands :tongue: I'd say I like the more...'underground' side of the 80s, so like Echo and the Bunnymen, The Smiths, The Chameleons, The Cure etc.

See what you make of this - yes the lyrics are somewhat obscure, but Ian's lyrics were more poetic and ambiguous. Obscure and unique was The Bunnymen's thing :tongue:
[video="youtube;Nt9EADASRL8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt9EADASRL8[/video]
Ah right I see :smile:

Ah, that's cool :biggrin: I remember my dad playing The Beatles when I was younger. I particularly remember this :tongue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGHQFjlsvCk

Same here :rofl:

I see :tongue: Yeah that is, but ah well, we get to enjoy the greatness :wink: :tongue:

Ah sorry, The Bunnymen :tongue:

These are from the first album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0adDW3_siQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAd2wv_SzUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4nAi3GM1DA

I won't accept if you don't like these because I like almost all of their songs :rofl: but no, fair enough if you don't :tongue:

I haven't listened to them loads but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc7exoQ1jkQ (vinyl crackle! :tongue:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDpOMTjE-bg

:smile:

oh okay :biggrin: i think my dad didn't really listen to the beatles that much, i used to listen to them a lot more :redface:
:rofl: that song was great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DGUWDj6mdw
^^ that was the album that i used to always listen to when i was about 14, still love it to this day :biggrin: i do think that it's their best album by far
(it brings back too many memories :h: just listening to it now after so many years... seriously it's probably about 4 years since i heard it last :tongue:)

:rofl:

yeah haha :tongue:

oh okay :smile: what was the question in the first place? completely forgotten :rolleyes:

the first one is perfect... it has a great intro, great guitar at the start, lyrics come in at the perfect time, perfect mix of vocals and guitar, amazing crescendo, the instrumental kicks in at the right moment, vocals fit in with the music and the fading out with the whistle is more then perfect :redface:
stars are stars... the best lyrics of any song i've heard no joke, instrumental is great.. think this might be better then the first one :lol: (maybe a little predictable but perfect :biggrin:)
pride.... the mix of the different instruments is put together almost magically i swear and the lyrics are just the cherry on top :love:

seriously sassking, these songs are so perfect i honestly need to listen to the rest of the album... what is it called? crocodiles? (i think this might become my favourite album of all time :love:)

railway children yay :biggrin:
darkness and colour - a really good song, but prefer the one you linked yesterday tbh :redface: (yeah haha :tongue:)
every beat of the heart - lovely song, but still prefer yesterday's :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
So apparently these were going to get thrown out in my College! I took them home :tongue: Should be interesting :smile:

(Sorry that it's upside down, you'll need to tilt your phone/laptop and zoom in :tongue:)

WP_20160512_19_43_39_Pro.jpg

brain damage and the who? :K:

can't see/read it that well, sorry :tongue:

but who the hell would throw out cds? :redface:

and yes, very interesting haha :biggrin:

let me know if they are any worth listening to :smile:

oh okay :biggrin: i think my dad didn't really listen to the beatles that much, i used to listen to them a lot more :redface:
:rofl: that song was great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DGUWDj6mdw
^^ that was the album that i used to always listen to when i was about 14, still love it to this day :biggrin: i do think that it's their best album by far
(it brings back too many memories :h: just listening to it now after so many years... seriously it's probably about 4 years since i heard it last :tongue:)

yeah haha :tongue:

oh okay :smile: what was the question in the first place? completely forgotten :rolleyes:

the first one is perfect... it has a great intro, great guitar at the start, lyrics come in at the perfect time, perfect mix of vocals and guitar, amazing crescendo, the instrumental kicks in at the right moment, vocals fit in with the music and the fading out with the whistle is more then perfect :redface:
stars are stars... the best lyrics of any song i've heard no joke, instrumental is great.. think this might be better then the first one :lol: (maybe a little predictable but perfect :biggrin:)
pride.... the mix of the different instruments is put together almost magically i swear and the lyrics are just the cherry on top :love:

seriously sassking, these songs are so perfect i honestly need to listen to the rest of the album... what is it called? crocodiles? (i think this might become my favourite album of all time :love:)

railway children yay :biggrin:
darkness and colour - a really good song, but prefer the one you linked yesterday tbh :redface: (yeah haha :tongue:)
every beat of the heart - lovely song, but still prefer yesterday's :frown:

Not listening :rofl: Yes, Crocodiles is the album. It's fantastic :smile: Amellia had never heard of The Bunnymen until I'd told her about them and now she really likes them too :tongue: I love that band :rofl: I'd just recommend you check out their first 4 albums, which are their best. I think you'll particularly like the fourth album; 'Ocean Rain'.
(I have watched this quite a few times before, such a perfect performance)
[video="youtube;mGAVz_DYpXU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGAVz_DYpXU[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Amellia123
Yep still at school :tongue: I'm in Y13, what do you do? :smile:
Hha ahh okay fair enough then :P Have you ever heard of Yazoo? Its basically the guy from Depeche Mode who wrote all the songs went on to form another band with a woman - they were rather good! The song 'Don't Go' is their best (I think!)
Awesome!! :awesome: and yep! I'm not as good as I probably should be :giggle: though I can play a fair amount of songs :lol: I bet you actually really good! What is your favourite song to play? :smile:
Sorry, that was bad wording on my part. The song 'Love is the Drug' used to be on the Debenhams advert a long time ago (its some pop song now :lol:) And (about The Clash) I don't know what that was even meant to say - I'm sorry (I cant even understand myself most days :lol:)
Hahaha fear not - you have found another fan! :woo: Omg yes we totally should :lol:
Ahhh right, The Hollies were a 60s band (kind of like The Beatles)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWNeUTFSmnc

It was called The Rum Runner - had a funny triangular shaped bar :lol:
Hahaha Ikr!! They had quite a few very good songs!

Haha a link to The Hives live? Sure! They did 3 songs on that program....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQioCjYnbxw

unfortunately, the other two are no longer available on youtube (as it would seem) but they also did Tick Tick Boom and Go Right Ahead :smile:

Look who else was on the same Hootenanny!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck9sl_yM9_U&list=PLP6rQTUN2hhSdllS6sQ7u6lsKJJhyMbmH&index=14

Yeah Planet Earth was their first single! Though the first song they wrote together was Sound Of Thunder :smile: And yep Dexy's Midnight Runners :biggrin: Where do you think the 'Runner' part came from? :wink:

I totally agree, though I have been unofficially banned from requesting any 80s music (huge emphasis on Duran Duran) at the y13 leavers prom :rofl: Ikr! Its such a feel good song, I have been singing it all day in fact :lol:

oh okay :smile: at university, but currently taking a break.. going back in september :tongue:

:tongue: nope, well not yet at least :lol: oh okay, sounds interesting… must give it a listen then :smile:

now now amella, i bet you’re amazing and could easily win britain's got talent :teehee: you could even knock off simon cowell’s hat, dear… which songs can you play? :smile: no, i wish lol… some of us, don’t have the talent you have amellia :tongue: and my favourite is possibly yellow by coldplay, i don’t know what it is about but when i play it, it feels like my life is complete :h:

no, it’s okay :smile: i get it now haha :tongue: that’s okay and not to worry, most days i can’t either :lol:

woo :biggrin: yes, would be perfect haha… we could make our own band :teehee: what do you think we should name it? :wink:

i swear i’ve seen that video before :moon: but they remind me of the beach boys for some reason idk haha :lol: great nonetheless :biggrin:

omg really? :lol: yeah, they do :biggrin:

great outfits :lol:amazing performance though…they remind of some other modern day band, but i can’t seem to remember who now :redface: unless i’ve heard them before and i can’t remember?

oh no, really? :redface: would have loved to watch it...

oh my god amellia, that just was out of this world… oh my god oh my god :eek: seriously i had to shut my mouth after, i was gobsmacked... this just be my favourite live version of any song ever… i literally cried at the end... oh my god, i want my mummy :cry:this song always makes me wanna get in my party dress and dance the night away… :tongue: (or just lead a bunch of people right over the hills, right into the sunset :lol: no idea why)

oh okay, yet another splendid song i need to listen to :h:

that’s really interesting actually and yeah, i get it now :biggrin:

what? :redface: they can’t do that, it’s bloody outrageous… and you have a prom? :eek: so good, too good and i’ve been singing rio all day :lol:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Amellia123
Yeah they do! Early evening on BBC4 on Thursdays/Fridays (its 1981 at the moment, we're at about August/September time). I think about 7.30/8 ish?
And yep!!!! Same :lol: I like how he can still sing too :biggrin: I like that they show quite a few music videos also, as some of the ones on youtube can be a bit iffy quality wise :lol:

Oooh looks awesome!!!! That should be brilliant to listen to!! :biggrin:

omg, i might just die here :eek: okay, bookworm you need to remind yourself of this great show, and maybe argue with your sister on who get's to pick the channel but i'll win because 1) she had it yesterday 2) i certainly get priority because i'm older and 3) 80's music is better than any of the modern day crap she listens to too :tongue:
omg, how strange is that? :lol: me too :biggrin: yeah, i totally get you

listen to? you mean read :tongue:
omg, i might just die here :eek: okay, bookworm you need to remind yourself of this great show, and maybe argue with your sister on who get's to pick the channel but i'll win because 1) she had it yesterday 2) i certainly get priority because i'm older and 3) 80's music is better than any of the modern day crap she listens to too :tongue:
omg, how strange is that? :lol: me too :biggrin: yeah, i totally get you

listen to? you mean read :tongue:

Thanks for ganging up on me :colonhash: :rofl: Still though, it is an awesome song that SassKing would find it a pleasure to sing :rofl: I have their album; 'Agents of Fortune' to listen to at some point actually :smile:

@Amellia123 The only Hollies song I actually know is;
[video="youtube;YzbAcTVP6SY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzbAcTVP6SY[/video]

I should look into them more :tongue: I mean to sometime... You should definitely check out The Byrds if you like 60s Beatles-esque bands :smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J74ttSR8lEg

no problem :h: and yeah, knew you would love to take part in it :rofl:

let me know how you get on please :smile:

it's actually great but prefer the other one, amellia linked earlier... 'one look' or something i think it was :tongue:

same here :tongue: will definitely as according to my book, the byrds happen to be one of the top 50 artists/bands of all time :biggrin:

listening to 'eight miles high' now, and they completely and utterly remind me of the beatles :lol: it's good though, what other songs do you recommend?
No idea, I'm not good at estimating :tongue:

Ah I see :smile: What are some of the top ones?

Hmmm...maybe people get put off because they think of the 80s as cheesy with big hair and one-hit wonders :rofl: but the 80s had a lot of talented bands :tongue: I'd say I like the more...'underground' side of the 80s, so like Echo and the Bunnymen, The Smiths, The Chameleons, The Cure etc.

See what you make of this - yes the lyrics are somewhat obscure, but Ian's lyrics were more poetic and ambiguous. Obscure and unique was The Bunnymen's thing :tongue:
[video="youtube;Nt9EADASRL8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt9EADASRL8[/video]

that's a shame haha :tongue:

the beatles :eek: yeah, not even the poor bookworm didn't think they were going to be first (no offence though haha :tongue:)

the beatles (of course :tongue:), the doors, bob dylan, micheal jackson, r.e.m ( i know :eek: and you'll never guess where they came on the list?), bob marley, paul simon, metallica and pink floyd :biggrin: (those are the only ones i can remember at the moment... can tell/show you the exact list, if you want me too :smile:)

maybe :lol: but i thought big hairstyles was more of an sixty thing? :confused: yeah, 'underground' or maybe 'indie'? :smile:

i love it chrissy :biggrin: i seriously love the echo and the bunnymen, i do, i really do... one of the best bands :love:

the more poetical and obscure, the better :tongue:
Not listening :rofl: Yes, Crocodiles is the album. It's fantastic :smile: Amellia had never heard of The Bunnymen until I'd told her about them and now she really likes them too :tongue: I love that band :rofl: I'd just recommend you check out their first 4 albums, which are their best. I think you'll particularly like the fourth album; 'Ocean Rain'.
(I have watched this quite a few times before, such a perfect performance)
[video="youtube;mGAVz_DYpXU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGAVz_DYpXU[/video]

what? :eek: no chrissy, you need to listen to it... i have listened to so much for you, even nearly got though that whole echo and the bunnymen concert... you make me cry sassking :cry2:

yes, truly fantastic :smile: haha, i don't doubt it.. they are really good :tongue:

i'm starting to really like them :lol:

will do, and i'll get back to you :smile: we'll see :tongue:

perfect it is (even though it's making me sleepy, but we'll just blame the time for that, eh? :tongue:)

what's so funny about that now, eh? :colonhash:
no problem :h: and yeah, knew you would love to take part in it :rofl:

let me know how you get on please :smile:

it's actually great but prefer the other one, amellia linked earlier... 'one look' or something i think it was :tongue:

same here :tongue: will definitely as according to my book, the byrds happen to be one of the top 50 artists/bands of all time :biggrin:

listening to 'eight miles high' now, and they completely and utterly remind me of the beatles :lol: it's good though, what other songs do you recommend?

Will do... :smile:

Mr. Tambourine Man, Turn! Turn! Turn!, I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better. I haven't listened to a huge amount of their songs yet, so can't recommend any more :tongue: I have their first three albums to listen to.
that's a shame haha :tongue:

the beatles :eek: yeah, not even the poor bookworm didn't think they were going to be first (no offence though haha :tongue:)

the beatles (of course :tongue:), the doors, bob dylan, micheal jackson, r.e.m ( i know :eek: and you'll never guess where they came on the list?), bob marley, paul simon, metallica and pink floyd :biggrin: (those are the only ones i can remember at the moment... can tell/show you the exact list, if you want me too :smile:)

maybe :lol: but i thought big hairstyles was more of an sixty thing? :confused: yeah, 'underground' or maybe 'indie'? :smile:

i love it chrissy :biggrin: i seriously love the echo and the bunnymen, i do, i really do... one of the best bands :love:

the more poetical and obscure, the better :tongue:

I'm not surprised they're first :tongue: Ooh, love The Doors. R.E.M. are awesome.

Yeah, they both seem to fit :tongue:

Where did this come from? :rofl: I mean you're not the first person to call me that, but... :tongue: Yay :tongue: I know, they are one of the best.

I agree :smile:

Came across this band. Never heard of them until now. This song is awesome;
(Obviously you'll have to listen tomorrow :tongue:)
[video="youtube;gGtzWdMdMxE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGtzWdMdMxE[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)
what? :eek: no chrissy, you need to listen to it... i have listened to so much for you, even nearly got though that whole echo and the bunnymen concert... you make me cry sassking :cry2:

yes, truly fantastic :smile: haha, i don't doubt it.. they are really good :tongue:

i'm starting to really like them :lol:

will do, and i'll get back to you :smile: we'll see :tongue:

perfect it is (even though it's making me sleepy, but we'll just blame the time for that, eh? :tongue:)

I meant I wasn't listening to the criticism :rofl:

Yes :tongue:

Okay :smile:
Will do... :smile:

Mr. Tambourine Man, Turn! Turn! Turn!, I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better. I haven't listened to a huge amount of their songs yet, so can't recommend any more :tongue: I have their first three albums to listen to.

great :smile:

that's goof and okay haha, need to listen to them to haha :tongue:

I'm not surprised they're first :tongue: Ooh, love The Doors. R.E.M. are awesome.

Yeah, they both seem to fit :tongue:

Where did this come from? :rofl: I mean you're not the first person to call me that, but... :tongue: Yay :tongue: I know, they are one of the best.

I agree :smile:

Came across this band. Never heard of them until now. This song is awesome;
(Obviously you'll have to listen tomorrow :tongue:)
[video="youtube;gGtzWdMdMxE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGtzWdMdMxE[/video]

i was a little surprised tbh :lol: yeah, all awesome :tongue:

of course haha :tongue:

no idea, was really tired... must of slipped out :teehee:

they really are... think they are up there with the smiths tbh :biggrin: definatley one of my favourites and i wanna go sing it from the rooftops and let the whole of the city know how great they really are :tongue:

oh my, that album cover :rofl: the song is great though, the lyrics are catchy and the instruments sound really awesome :h: (definitely haha :tongue:)

I meant I wasn't listening to the criticism :rofl:

Yes :tongue:

Okay :smile:

what criticism? :redface:

no, i seriously love them :biggrin:

they really are... think they are up there with the smiths tbh :biggrin: definatley one of my favourites and i wanna go sing it from the rooftops and let the whole of the city know how great they really are :tongue:

oh my, that album cover :rofl: the song is great though, the lyrics are catchy and the instruments sound really awesome :h: (definitely haha :tongue:)

When you said the lyrics to Stars Are Stars were a bit predictable :tongue:

Mr. Tambourine Man is actually originally a Bob Dylan song :smile:

What was the book called again? I'm more surprised that Paul Simon is up there :tongue:

I see... :lol:

Yeah :smile: I think The Smiths, Echo and the Bunnymen, Joy Division and The Cure all fall into a similar sort of bracket sort of thing. They're all alternative and chances are that if someone likes one of those bands, they'll like the others too.

:rofl: Go and shout it right now, give them more recognition :lol:
When you said the lyrics to Stars Are Stars were a bit predictable :tongue:

yeah...? what about it? :tongue:
Mr. Tambourine Man is actually originally a Bob Dylan song :smile:

What was the book called again? I'm more surprised that Paul Simon is up there :tongue:

I see... :lol:

Yeah :smile: I think The Smiths, Echo and the Bunnymen, Joy Division and The Cure all fall into a similar sort of bracket sort of thing. They're all alternative and chances are that if someone likes one of those bands, they'll like the others too.

:rofl: Go and shout it right now, give them more recognition :lol:

oh yeah, of course :smile: i remember now haha (just btw do you like bob dylan? :smile:)

all-time top 1000 albums :tongue:

really? :redface: even though i don't listen to his stuff much he was still pretty influential and so was art garfunkel :biggrin: i was surprised simon and garfunkel weren't up there though :tongue: (please tell me that you've listened to their stuff :colonhash:)

i'm sure you don't mind it, right? :tongue:

yeah, they all do :smile: they are all pretty similar

:rofl: half of the uk have probably heard me now

they truly deserve it though :h:
(and all the others you mentioned)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest