The Student Room Group

GPR Exam Tips? (Global Perspectives and research)

Hi, I have a GPR exam next week and I feel in my current state I'd simply wing it if i were to take the exam today. We haven't spent much time on exam papers ect. mostly the presentations and essays.

The way my teacher marks is very scientific, as in, he'll award marks only when you've used a point given in the mark scheme; so for a 14 mark "pro's and con's" question, he expects 7 different points for each side to be written. This seems not only counter-intuitive but unfeasible. Reading the few model answers coupled with the mark scheme they didn't write in this fashion. I pointed out to my teacher that it states that the examiner shouldn't expect a given answer and is to be flexible.

How should I approach questions? Can you revise for the exam?
While reading the mark scheme it seemed that 2 major aspects accounted for marks but the rest seems ambiguous; comprehension of the articles given and the ability to evenly compare - not writing 5 pro's for a source and then 1 con. Are there any goto's for marks? I know I'll - trying to - use the 'CRABVINE' acronym but very loosely. Are marks rewarded based on the construction of the answer, or simply the points given?
Reply 1
Original post by Tobiq

Hi there!
This is a really tricky one. Is the exam you're taking for the AS Level, A Level or Pre-U?

As general advice though, I would say trust your teacher on this. It would be difficult for your teacher to be 100% confident if this is the completely new A Level exam, although it's very likely that they've been on an exam training course about it.

I've tried having a look for other discussions about this to help you out but the only one I could find was for last year (it's this one if you're interested). Why not try and message the members on this thread and see if they have any advice for you about the exam?
Reply 3
The exam is in 1 hour 37 minutes. I'm not stressed at all, you can't really revise for GPR so yeah. Just focus on crabvining the sources about credibility and reliability etc.
Reply 4
Did the exam, don't know how I feel, wasn't immensely hard. Was yours about fracking too?
Reply 5
Original post by Tobiq
Did the exam, don't know how I feel, wasn't immensely hard. Was yours about fracking too?

Yeah, the only question I couldn't find much to write about was 3.
I did it too! It was so hard!! did any of you talk about flaws and fallacies? or where you just crabvining?
Reply 7
Original post by sarah1001
I did it too! It was so hard!! did any of you talk about flaws and fallacies? or where you just crabvining?

Don't remember much now but I remember using their origins as major flaws for both: "Employee at major energy company" "head of save the earth" or something.
Original post by Tobiq
Don't remember much now but I remember using their origins as major flaws for both: "Employee at major energy company" "head of save the earth" or something.

isnt that a good thing though?
or was it because they had vested interest and thats why you said its a flaw?
Reply 9
Original post by sarah1001
isnt that a good thing though?
or was it because they had vested interest and thats why you said its a flaw?

yeah, heavy vested interest by bother parties

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending