The Student Room Group

Can you retake your a2 year/exams?

I've been off most of my a2 year due to my depression, and as much as i'd like to believe in myself, i very much doubt i'm going to pass with enough UCAS points to get into university, and even with clearing i dont want to settle for something im not willing to spend 3 years on

My subjects (sociology, psychology and philosophy&ethics) have been revamped, the exam boards have changed a lot of things

So i dont know whether the papers based upon what topics i've learnt would be printed out fresh for another year, if that makes sense? Like if i couldnt redo the year due to teachers not being availible, would i still be able to take the exams if it meant independent studying and obviously paying for them?
Reply 1
It's quite common for people to do a third year at college for various reasons.

I believe the government funds higher education for 16-19 year olds so you shouldn't have to pay for tutoring or exams.

Speak to a tutor. Are you planning on trying to do these exams or just trying again next year?
yep a girl in my A2 class is resitting year 13
You can retake them in 2017, but that's the last time legacy exams will be available.
Original post by tiffanyjpg
I've been off most of my a2 year due to my depression, and as much as i'd like to believe in myself, i very much doubt i'm going to pass with enough UCAS points to get into university, and even with clearing i dont want to settle for something im not willing to spend 3 years on

My subjects (sociology, psychology and philosophy&ethics) have been revamped, the exam boards have changed a lot of things

So i dont know whether the papers based upon what topics i've learnt would be printed out fresh for another year, if that makes sense? Like if i couldnt redo the year due to teachers not being availible, would i still be able to take the exams if it meant independent studying and obviously paying for them?

As 999tigger has said, you will be able to resit either AS or A2 exams from the old specification IF you can find a centre willing to take you as a private candidate for them. Your current school might be good to ask, especially if they have been supportive during your problems this year. They won't be teaching and preparing students for the old specification so it's not likely you can attend lessons for an extra year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Hann95
It's quite common for people to do a third year at college for various reasons.

I believe the government funds higher education for 16-19 year olds so you shouldn't have to pay for tutoring or exams.

Speak to a tutor. Are you planning on trying to do these exams or just trying again next year?

I'm going to attempt them this year, cause why the heck not right?
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
You can retake them in 2017, but that's the last time legacy exams will be available.

Thank you! so what are legacy exams? is it just old exams for good ole sake haha. but thank you very much for your answer!!
Reply 8
Original post by gdunne42
As 999tigger has said, you will be able to resit either AS or A2 exams from the old specification IF you can find a centre willing to take you as a private candidate for them. Your current school might be good to ask, especially if they have been supportive during your problems this year. They won't be teaching and preparing students for the old specification so it's not likely you can attend lessons for an extra year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay, so if it all goes tits up i'll just have to find a college willing to let me retake the exams at their centre as a private candidate, if my current college doesnt?

I dont mind the non-teaching aspect, and i'd rather not retake at all but sometimes ya just gotta try again. But thank you so much for clarifying its been a big help!
Thank you! so what are legacy exams? is it just old exams for good ole sake haha. but thank you very much for your answer!!

I got that information from the .gov site and an Ofqual consultation paper. It was updated last month.

Consultation description We are proposing to introduce a new General Condition of Recognition that will require exam boards to comply with any requirements we set when an accredited qualification ends.AS and A levelsWe propose that:

Students taking AS and A levels in the last scheduled sitting should have the opportunity to re-sit these qualifications after the final scheduled award, regardless of the subject and exam board.

re-sit opportunities in AS and A levels in the subjects for which the new qualifications will be first awarded in 2017, will be available in the legacy qualifications in the summer of 2017.

Re-sits will take place in May or June.

Students will be able to re-sit any AS or A level unit (including controlled assessment units).

Similar arrangements should be put in place for the later phases of AS and A level reform.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/resits-for-legacy-gcse-as-and-a-levels
Reply 10
I'm going to attempt them this year, cause why the heck not right?

I think that's a good idea, it's not like you get capped on a second attempt. Don't put yourself under too much pressure, you can resit and getting a few bad grades is not the be all and end all. Speak to a tutor and make sure that they know how you're feeling. Good luck, I admire your resilience :smile:
Oh okay, so if it all goes tits up i'll just have to find a college willing to let me retake the exams at their centre as a private candidate, if my current college doesnt?

Yup

I dont mind the non-teaching aspect, and i'd rather not retake at all but sometimes ya just gotta try again. But thank you so much for clarifying its been a big help!

You're welcome. Good luck, hope it works out this year. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest