The Student Room Group

Is this a real/legit excuse to cancel a date?

So, I was meant to be seeing a girl tomorrow for a second date. I texted her this evening, something along the lines of ''I'm looking forward to tomorrow''. Suddenly she replies ''oh about that, I have to cancel, I have to go to court because my auntie's going and I'm a witness''. I asked can she do the evening, or Monday. She said she'll be tired tomorrow and shes busy Monday but suggested Tuesday. I've had to rearrange some plans but I'm seeing her Tuesday now.
I just find it to be a very odd excuse. Also, when was she planning to tell me? I wasn't going to text her at all this evening and only tomorrow morning. Surely she wasn't going to just tell me then? It just doesn't feel like a real excuse, she hasn't mentioned it at all. I thought she'd have the decency to tell me a bit sooner as well. Truth is, I'm not suree that I can be bothered with her now. I feel pretty deflated
Reply 1
I think she probably just forgot, court sounds like something that would take up your attention. It's not uncommon to forget things in the wake of something like that. Or she could have been nervous about mentioning it thinking she might get questioned about it. The fact that she was fine with rearranging the date makes me feel like she isn't trying to get out of seeing you. If you can't be bothered with her anymore that's your call but I don't think it's a big loss for you to try a second date and see if 1. you still like her and 2. if she seems genuinely interested in you still.
Wait until Tuesday, the fact she has given you a date shows some attention. If she cancels again she's either not interested or simply too busy to be reliable in a relationship.
Reply 3
I would try not to make much contact before the date but you shouldn't have rearranged your plans to suit Tuesday if shes already cancelled once
Reply 4
Flippant date rearrangement is not a good sign. If you're keen why not give Tuesday a chance, but otherwise you could knock it on the head.
Reply 5
Original post by Zarek
Flippant date rearrangement is not a good sign. If you're keen why not give Tuesday a chance, but otherwise you could knock it on the head.

Flippant date arrangement? How do you mean?
Reply 6
Original post by EfuaEsaba
I think she probably just forgot, court sounds like something that would take up your attention. It's not uncommon to forget things in the wake of something like that. Or she could have been nervous about mentioning it thinking she might get questioned about it. The fact that she was fine with rearranging the date makes me feel like she isn't trying to get out of seeing you. If you can't be bothered with her anymore that's your call but I don't think it's a big loss for you to try a second date and see if 1. you still like her and 2. if she seems genuinely interested in you still.

I just find that bizarre to be honest. Why would she be nervous about mentioning it? I wouldn't mind. I'm more annoyed because she only told me the night before, and even then that's because I texted her and started the conversation. She never mentioned it at all last week either. Just seems like a wacky excuse
Reply 7
I think she is making excuses. You will eventually know when someone is really making an excuse or not.
Reply 8
If she cancelled in advance it isn't too bad. It only counts as a strike if she does it on the day I would say. But if she cancels more than once in a row then I'd consider it a strike. So give her tuesday but nothing more.
Reply 9
Original post by Jebedee
If she cancelled in advance it isn't too bad. It only counts as a strike if she does it on the day I would say. But if she cancels more than once in a row then I'd consider it a strike. So give her tuesday but nothing more.

I don't really see it as cancelling in advance personally. She could have cancelled pro-actively, if you know what I mean? I don't think she would have told me laast night unless had text her to say I'm looking forward to it.

I don't wanna text her now until Monday. is that a good idea? I don't really feel the need to now that we've set the date up. Plus i'm doing 2 12hour shifts this weekend. I wanna see if she initiates first because so far it's only me
Reply 10
[QUOTE=Zarek;64762079]Flippant date rearrangement is not a good sign. If you're keen why not give Tuesday a chance, but otherwise you could knock it on the head.
I think as you say a date not being top of mind, being cancelled, being too tired for etc is bad news early doors.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't really see it as cancelling in advance personally. She could have cancelled pro-actively, if you know what I mean? I don't think she would have told me laast night unless had text her to say I'm looking forward to it.

I don't wanna text her now until Monday. is that a good idea? I don't really feel the need to now that we've set the date up. Plus i'm doing 2 12hour shifts this weekend. I wanna see if she initiates first because so far it's only me

Depends how hot she is really. If she only cancelled when you mentioned then if she is anything under an 8 I would just wait for her to confirm. 8 or above I would say to text her the day before to pre-confirm.

I prefer to avoid the scatterbrained types as they are so disorganised and oblivious that they think you are uptight for being punctual and respectful of other people's time.
Original post by Anonymous
So, I was meant to be seeing a girl tomorrow for a second date. I texted her this evening, something along the lines of ''I'm looking forward to tomorrow''. Suddenly she replies ''oh about that, I have to cancel, I have to go to court because my auntie's going and I'm a witness''. I asked can she do the evening, or Monday. She said she'll be tired tomorrow and shes busy Monday but suggested Tuesday. I've had to rearrange some plans but I'm seeing her Tuesday now.
I just find it to be a very odd excuse. Also, when was she planning to tell me? I wasn't going to text her at all this evening and only tomorrow morning. Surely she wasn't going to just tell me then? It just doesn't feel like a real excuse, she hasn't mentioned it at all. I thought she'd have the decency to tell me a bit sooner as well. Truth is, I'm not suree that I can be bothered with her now. I feel pretty deflated

Nah mate don't be too down girls do this all the time.

All you need to figure out is why. If she goes for the date on Tuesday, it may have been legitimate and she's just a busy person.

But it is 100% true that when someone wants to be with you they cancel everything they can to see you. If you've ever truly loved someone you'd know this
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Nah mate don't be too down girls do this all the time.

All you need to figure out is why. If she goes for the date on Tuesday, it may have been legitimate and she's just a busy person.

But it is 100% true that when someone wants to be with you they cancel everything they can to see you. If you've ever truly loved someone you'd know this

But you can't really cancel something like court.

And we don't all do this.
Original post by Tiger Rag
But you can't really cancel something like court.

And we don't all do this.

Which is why I said 1) If she goes to the date on Tuesday it's legimate.
and 2) They cancel everything they can

Read my post before jumping at me :lol:

I didn't say you all did that. I just said girls do it all the time. That is not the same thing.
the best you can do is ask if she wants to actually date or not, dont beat around the bush and waste days/weeks waiting for the date only for the same to potentially happen imo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending