The Student Room Group

Artificial light makes me feel ill

If I'm in a room with that vile off-white light you usually get especially from low energy light bulbs I feel really uncomfortable. Like I'd rather sit in a dark room and use my computer for brightness instead. I would use candlelight but I don't want to risk setting my room on fire.

Does anyone else get this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Alternatively you can use torch....

Ehe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Impressive
Alternatively you can use torch....

Ehe

am i missing the joke? lol
Is your light source flickering at a visible frequency? I think they actually do make people feel uncomfortable and trigger headaches
Reply 4
I just realised it's in the health section.

Yep.use torch and tell me if you feel any better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
:lol:

that happens to me. I put the light on my phone and then put it face down so I have a bit of light but not too much light. Omg I'm so weird :redface:

I never put the light on in my room.
Reply 6
Original post by BlueIsTheNewRed
Is your light source flickering at a visible frequency? I think they actually do make people feel uncomfortable and trigger headaches

No flickering, just the colour makes me feel uncomfortable. Almost all artificial lights apart from the pure white LED or halogen types do this. It's not like a physical sickness, it just makes me feel uneasy(?)
It's a really difficult sensation to describe, everything just feels bad. I think it may be related to Season Affective Disorder to do with light levels or something, but that's just a guess.
we evolved to use sunlight... artificial light operates on a very reduced spectrum of wavelengths instead of the broad spread of natural light.
Reply 8
Original post by Impressive
I just realised it's in the health section.

Yep.use torch and tell me if you feel any better.

lol i don't even think i have a torch :lol:

Original post by ZuluK
:lol:

that happens to me. I put the light on my phone and then put it face down so I have a bit of light but not too much light. Omg I'm so weird :redface:

I never put the light on in my room.

I get so vexed when people come into my room and turn on my light, like can u pls not?
Reply 9
Original post by the bear
we evolved to use sunlight... artificial light operates on a very reduced spectrum of wavelengths instead of the broad spread of natural light.

i can see this possibly being linked to it, but why would that cause it?
Reply 10
Original post by Zargabaath
lol i don't even think i have a torch :lol:

I get so vexed when people come into my room and turn on my light, like can u pls not?

Vexed huh? Roadman! :lol: But yep... I hate it when they open the door and the light from the corridor shines in! It's blinding... But I don't get uncomfortable just annoyed cuz it hurts my eyes :redface:
i can see this possibly being linked to it, but why would that cause it?

there is so much that medical science does not know... we have barely scratched the surface.
I'm the opposite. Natural sunlight gives me headaches, pain and nausea.
Original post by SophieSmall
I'm the opposite. Natural sunlight gives me headaches, pain and nausea.

You a vampire fam?
What's your take on garlic?
You a vampire fam?
What's your take on garlic?

Garlic yummy yum yum.

Nahh I have an eye condition that makes sunlight painful, though some artificial lights can do it...but not usually I don't find them intense enough.
Garlic yummy yum yum.

Nahh I have an eye condition that makes sunlight painful, though some artificial lights can do it...but not usually I don't find them intense enough.

Sounds grim, I have a friend who sneezes uncontrollably in bright light including sunlight
Sounds grim, I have a friend who sneezes uncontrollably in bright light including sunlight

yeah, it does suck. Because I can barely see a thing on really sunny days. But since I don't like the heat anyway and so on't go out when it's that bright it doesn't affect me too much.
Summer must be fun for them :tongue:
yeah, it does suck. Because I can barely see a thing on really sunny days. But since I don't like the heat anyway and so on't go out when it's that bright it doesn't affect me too much.
Summer must be fun for them :tongue:

Vampires also suck... :holmes:
That's lucky then, although couldn't you just wear sunglasses when it's bright?
Sneezing all summer is not enjoyable, I get hay-fever so I know how irritating it is to not be able to leave the house during summer
Vampires also suck... :holmes:
That's lucky then, although couldn't you just wear sunglasses when it's bright?
Sneezing all summer is not enjoyable, I get hay-fever so I know how irritating it is to not be able to leave the house during summer

I look absolutely ridiculous in sun glasses :tongue:

yeah, I used to get hay fever really bad as a kid, my eyes would close over it was horrible
I was going to suggest photophobia. But with that, it seems (with me) to be all light, rather than just some.

@SophieSmall - I'm the same. I hate summer for that reason. Even in winter, I have to wear sunglasses and a hat with UV protection just to go outside. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest