The Student Room Group

Wolsey Hall Oxford??

Hi! I'm giving homestudy courses in Wolsey Hall Oxford some consideration, and would like to know more about it before enrolling. Are there anyone here withe experience from them? Are the effective in producing results? Are there adequate time spent with real-life tutors or are they mainly orientated in virtual resources?
Original post by StuckInOblivion
Hi! I'm giving homestudy courses in Wolsey Hall Oxford some consideration, and would like to know more about it before enrolling. Are there anyone here withe experience from them? Are the effective in producing results? Are there adequate time spent with real-life tutors or are they mainly orientated in virtual resources?

I do both wolsey and oxford open learning, i regret not being with ool fully because teachers are better and more organize. So I recommend ool all the way.
Reply 2
Original post by ckfeister
I do both wolsey and oxford open learning, i regret not being with ool fully because teachers are better and more organize. So I recommend ool all the way.

What is Oxford Open Learning?
Original post by Thomb
What is Oxford Open Learning?

http://www.ool.co.uk/
Reply 4

Oh right I'm doing GCSE with the NEC. :tongue:
Original post by Thomb
Oh right I'm doing GCSE with the NEC. :tongue:

governments recommendation ones not always best
Reply 6
Original post by ckfeister
governments recommendation ones not always best

I went with NEC because of their long established reputation, they have good well qualified teachers.
Reply 7
NEVER TAKE WOLSEY HALL.

Seriously, the teachers: all they care about is your Assignments. That is all they will grade.

Questions? Sure, they answer questions... but what if you had problems with a question in the textbook. They don't help. Seriously. They are teachers. That's their job! Not only do they not help, but they also complain that you are asking for help!

Okay... quality of the resources. Not bad. But, I'll give you a comment on the quality of the other papers they have. They are crap. The Program of Study is the EASIEST thing for anyone to do. Literally, you are telling students what pages to do. That paper is inaccurate and they don't match the page number properly, even though they send through the books; never mind other types of typos they have. It is the easiest thing to do... but they can't do it well.

Quality of the grading. Ehh. It's fine; but it feels like they are grading an exam. They don't recommend anything that you COULD be doing. They just outline your mistakes and go like... go figure.

So, overall, don't do it. You'll find yourself stuck and you will be opting to more and more outside support. Waste of money. Waste of time. Try something else.
Original post by hyaj7
NEVER TAKE WOLSEY HALL.

Seriously, the teachers: all they care about is your Assignments. That is all they will grade.

Questions? Sure, they answer questions... but what if you had problems with a question in the textbook. They don't help. Seriously. They are teachers. That's their job! Not only do they not help, but they also complain that you are asking for help!

Okay... quality of the resources. Not bad. But, I'll give you a comment on the quality of the other papers they have. They are crap. The Program of Study is the EASIEST thing for anyone to do. Literally, you are telling students what pages to do. That paper is inaccurate and they don't match the page number properly, even though they send through the books; never mind other types of typos they have. It is the easiest thing to do... but they can't do it well.

Quality of the grading. Ehh. It's fine; but it feels like they are grading an exam. They don't recommend anything that you COULD be doing. They just outline your mistakes and go like... go figure.

So, overall, don't do it. You'll find yourself stuck and you will be opting to more and more outside support. Waste of money. Waste of time. Try something else.

Wow, are they really that bad?
They had emailed me stating how their duty is not to give tuition or teach but to simply give "distant guidance", but I was thinking people are paying £600+ sometimes just for an a level course. I think it's crazy how they are charging so much yet offer little guidance. Maybe it is best sometimes just to self teach. Hope you don't mind me asking what course did you take or are currently taking with Wolsey hall?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Cherry82
They had emailed me stating how their duty is not to give tuition or teach but to simply give "distant guidance", but I was thinking people are paying £600+ sometimes just for an a level course. I think it's crazy how they are charging so much yet offer little guidance. Maybe it is best sometimes just to self teach. Hope you don't mind me asking what course did you take or are currently taking with Wolsey hall?

Hey,

Yes! They are that bad. What I think you should do is take their course - they still do grade the assignments alright. They just don't "teach". They just grade your assignments. Not much of a teacher, I'd say. Anyways, I did IGCSE English Literature, English Language, History, Geography, Mathematics and Double Award Sciences.

I am mainly predicted A's, A*'s and B's. But that is only because I'm a good student :biggrin: not because of Wolsey Hall. To be honest, I taught myself everything, did their stupid assignments and didn't even bother about the grade.

So, ya, take the course if you want like "exam-style" assignments graded for you.
Original post by hyaj7
Hey,

Yes! They are that bad. What I think you should do is take their course - they still do grade the assignments alright. They just don't "teach". They just grade your assignments. Not much of a teacher, I'd say. Anyways, I did IGCSE English Literature, English Language, History, Geography, Mathematics and Double Award Sciences.

I am mainly predicted A's, A*'s and B's. But that is only because I'm a good student :biggrin: not because of Wolsey Hall. To be honest, I taught myself everything, did their stupid assignments and didn't even bother about the grade.

So, ya, take the course if you want like "exam-style" assignments graded for you.

Thank you <3
I'm planning on taking English Language A level. The thing is, I only wanted someone who could mark my work and explain the specification to me. In terms of self teaching, I've been doing that already. At the same time, just for marking I don't think it's worth £765 as this is how much they are charging customers for this course. It's just way too much. If you have questions regarding the syllabus do they answer these or do they not even answer questions on the syllabus also?
Reply 11
Thank you <3
I'm planning on taking English Language A level. The thing is, I only wanted someone who could mark my work and explain the specification to me. In terms of self teaching, I've been doing that already. At the same time, just for marking I don't think it's worth £765 as this is how much they are charging customers for this course. It's just way too much. If you have questions regarding the syllabus do they answer these or do they not even answer questions on the syllabus also?

In that case, if I was you, I'd get a tutor. I did IGCSE Literature so I paid the 500 UK pounds for Wolsey Hall and some 100 pounds per session with a tutor. It ended up something like 40,000 pounds in total at the end of the course, but ya. Quite expensive.

By the way, why are you self-teaching; why not do it at a six form college or a school?
Hi :smile:

I don't know if you have made a decision, but I am currently studying A Levels with Wolsey Hall. I chose homestudy A Levels as they fitted in with being a working Mum. It has been a challenge, but I have really enjoyed the courses so far. No,they don't teach online, but I have always found the tutors incredibly helpful whenever I have needed to ask questions.

Good luck with whatever you decide! :smile:
Omg! Finally I find someone who understands how crappy Wolsey Hall is! Everything you said is absolutely true! I recently had to do an Assignment on algebra that was ridiculously hard, since my grades had gone down quite a lot I decided to start studying absolutely everything they gave me and on that assignment I got a 54! Guess why? BECAUSE LIKE 70% OF THE ASSIGNMENT INCLUDED QUESTIONS ON TOPICS THAT I HADEN'T SUTIED BECAUSE IN ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE IT SAID I HAD TO STUDY THAT FOR THE ASSIGNMENT! Seriously it's ridiculous and the tutor only corrected it and told me to revise
Original post by hyaj7
In that case, if I was you, I'd get a tutor. I did IGCSE Literature so I paid the 500 UK pounds for Wolsey Hall and some 100 pounds per session with a tutor. It ended up something like 40,000 pounds in total at the end of the course, but ya. Quite expensive.
By the way, why are you self-teaching; why not do it at a six form college or a school?

Hi, i'm new to TSR and am also considering WolseyHallOxford(WHO) for IGCSE English. Is your private tutor also from WHO? Mind sharing the info/website of your tutor. Thanks.
Original post by Hamiltrash101
Omg! Finally I find someone who understands how crappy Wolsey Hall is! Everything you said is absolutely true! I recently had to do an Assignment on algebra that was ridiculously hard, since my grades had gone down quite a lot I decided to start studying absolutely everything they gave me and on that assignment I got a 54! Guess why? BECAUSE LIKE 70% OF THE ASSIGNMENT INCLUDED QUESTIONS ON TOPICS THAT I HADEN'T SUTIED BECAUSE IN ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE IT SAID I HAD TO STUDY THAT FOR THE ASSIGNMENT! Seriously it's ridiculous and the tutor only corrected it and told me to revise

which tutor did you have? Mine was Heidi for Maths.
NGL I found Wolsey really useful. I got an A in Maths and my predicted grades for bio and chem are A* and A
Original post by StuckInOblivion

I This if you are motivated they are Great I've really enjoyed them so far.
Original post by mynameisnotvalid
which tutor did you have? Mine was Heidi for Maths.
NGL I found Wolsey really useful. I got an A in Maths and my predicted grades for bio and chem are A* and A

Please let me know how to ask for predicted grades. I wrote to the progress manager and she has no clue. How do i get the references and Predicted grades form Wolsey hall. Do I directly contact the teachers? Pleas help

yeah, @hyaj7 is absolutely correct. I did physics, computer, maths and English first language from them and they really don't give much guidance. For example; English is not my first language but I still take it because I want to study abroad; there is only one assignment for descriptive writing which is not enough to get practice and if I send her another prompt from the descriptive writing question she will not mark it. the only good teacher in my opinion is Faith Thompson for physics she really helps me, even with physics-related things outside the curriculum. Since I have a passion for physics she even helps me research the topic for competitions and gives me suggestions for physics-related programs. Apart from that, the maths teacher was also rude I asked her a question and she told me that I should already know this type of question and didn't answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending