The Student Room Group

Medical schools- a pass needed in the practical assessments of a levels?

I was looking at the keele entry requirements for 2017 and it seems the minimum a level requirements are A*aa instead of the usual AAA/a*ab? Also, they said you have to pass the practical assessments of the a levels- my ocr isa assessments went so badly this tear, so does this mean that even if I get an A overall (in bio and chem) if I get under a c grade in the isa, I can't apply to study medicine?

*coursework is currently ruining my life and all of my aspirations :frown:
Original post by Lularose83
I was looking at the keele entry requirements for 2017 and it seems the minimum a level requirements are A*aa instead of the usual AAA/a*ab? Also, they said you have to pass the practical assessments of the a levels- my ocr isa assessments went so badly this tear, so does this mean that even if I get an A overall (in bio and chem) if I get under a c grade in the isa, I can't apply to study medicine?

*coursework is currently ruining my life and all of my aspirations :frown:

The general entry requirement does indeed seem to be A*AA for all new applicants without A2s and you do need a pass in the practical component. However, I thought a pass grade was an E, not a C?
Reply 2
Original post by Plagioclase
The general entry requirement does indeed seem to be A*AA for all new applicants without A2s and you do need a pass in the practical component. However, I thought a pass grade was an E, not a C?

I'm taking a gap year so I'd apply with achieved grades (my oreodcted grades are a*aa) however I am absolutely awful at coursework (which makes up 20%) and I assumed they meant at least c grade? Ahhhh I'm so confused :frown:
Original post by Lularose83
I'm taking a gap year so I'd apply with achieved grades (my oreodcted grades are a*aa) however I am absolutely awful at coursework (which makes up 20%) and I assumed they meant at least c grade? Ahhhh I'm so confused :frown:

You could always email Keele to check, but it was my understanding that a "pass" is an E and a "good pass" is a C.
Reply 4
[QUOTE=Lularose83;64763389so does this mean that even if I get an A overall (in bio and chem) if I get under a c grade in the isa, I can't apply to study medicine?

It may mean you can't apply to study medicine at Keele

I agree that if you're concerned you should go ahead and email them. But there are loads of other unis that don't have this requirement. This is where the whole 'apply to your strengths' thing comes in
Reply 5
Original post by Ghotay
It may mean you can't apply to study medicine at Keele

I agree that if you're concerned you should go ahead and email them. But there are loads of other unis that don't have this requirement. This is where the whole 'apply to your strengths' thing comes in

I think the new requirements apply to the students who are in AS level now, I.e the a level reforms which have made the practical assessments separate to the actual a-level, and you get a pass or fail in them. I'm in a2 now so I don't think the reforms will affect me. I could be wrong though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending