The Student Room Group

Is it unusual to begin a degree at 23?

I'm 22 now, and I've almost completed a 60 credit module with the Open University - and doing so will get me a place at Exeter University, which I will start in September. By the time I graduate, I will be 25/26.
Will I be out of place at all? Will it affect my life chances in the long run? I want to become an academic or a journalist (I've been writing since I was 20, and have been published on numerous political outlets). I know I'm most likely overthinking things, but it has been playing on my mind a bit lately. Any reassurance would be great.
Reply 1
Original post by jonfh1993
I'm 22 now, and I've almost completed a 60 credit module with the Open University - and doing so will get me a place at Exeter University, which I will start in September. By the time I graduate, I will be 25/26.
Will I be out of place at all? Will it affect my life chances in the long run? I want to become an academic or a journalist (I've been writing since I was 20, and have been published on numerous political outlets). I know I'm most likely overthinking things, but it has been playing on my mind a bit lately. Any reassurance would be great.

You probably won't have as much in common with freshers but age isn't an issue at uni at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by justag
You probably won't have as much in common with freshers but age isn't an issue at uni at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well an obvious difference I can think of is drinking/partying. I would have done this at age 18, but it's not something I'm interested in now. This will probably be beneficial for me in terms of my studies however.
Reply 3
Original post by jonfh1993
Well an obvious difference I can think of is drinking/partying. I would have done this at age 18, but it's not something I'm interested in now. This will probably be beneficial for me in terms of my studies however.

Exactly, you won't have as much in common. But regardless people of all ages over 18 go to uni so it won't negatively impact you

Posted from TSR Mobile
my sis went at 26, youll be fine :yep:
Starting Uni next year at 24 (almost 25). I had the same anxieties but I'm over them now. We all have our journeys in life, no point getting hung up over something you can't control.

Just do what you can, there's no guarantee 18 year old you would've fit in much better. If anything at 23 you'll have the little bit extra experience to help you shine, both socially and academically.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending