The Student Room Group

HELP!!! Would LLB courses accept a U in GCSE maths?

Hi everyone,
so i am doing 3 years in college ( this is my second year but first) as i did level 2 and moved onto level 3 business. However, i did retake my GCSE maths in my first year because i got a U in maths. Came to the exam and i got the same grade... So this year i am not doing GCSE maths at College but just focusing on my first year of level 3. I am stressing out because, i want to study LLB in uni and i will be doing my personal statement this September.
I wanted to ask, do Universities for Law look at maths? I mean i have been getting D's in my units and my predicted grade is D's too. And i have got my GCSE English C grade... I am really bad at maths and i know if i re-take it i will not pass.....
Depends on which universities you apply for. Usually they'll tell you under 'entry requirements'. Let me now the unis you're applying to and I can check for you :smile:
Original post by meeemzi
Hi everyone,
so i am doing 3 years in college ( this is my second year but first) as i did level 2 and moved onto level 3 business. However, i did retake my GCSE maths in my first year because i got a U in maths. Came to the exam and i got the same grade... So this year i am not doing GCSE maths at College but just focusing on my first year of level 3. I am stressing out because, i want to study LLB in uni and i will be doing my personal statement this September.
I wanted to ask, do Universities for Law look at maths? I mean i have been getting D's in my units and my predicted grade is D's too. And i have got my GCSE English C grade... I am really bad at maths and i know if i re-take it i will not pass.....

This sounds bad but they will probably refuse you on the grounds that a C in both English and Maths is a requirement for most university applications. I would say look into a foundation year with a LLB in Law as the grade requirements are lower.
Most entry requirements for any course is a grade C at GCSE in maths and English.

It also doesn't sound like you're doing a-levels which could also be a problem. Some universities only specify UCAS points but some specify A-level grades.

You need to check whether you need the GCSE and if the course you're on now meets the entry requirements but you can only do this by deciding on what universities you are applying to.

Honestly, I think your chances are slim.
Reply 4
Original post by orphan_black
Depends on which universities you apply for. Usually they'll tell you under 'entry requirements'. Let me now the unis you're applying to and I can check for you :smile:

manchester metropolitan university
Liverpool john moors
university of Lancashire
university of Bolton
Original post by meeemzi
Liverpool john moors
university of Lancashire
university of Bolton

You will be an extremely weak candidate for these universities.

I would recommend getting some work experience and applying for a foundation/access course.
i mean, regardless don't you have to pass Maths and English gcse to even apply to university.
You should retake and possibly look into some foundation courses that some universities offer as an extra year on top of your actual law degree
Original post by meeemzi
Liverpool john moors
university of Lancashire
university of Bolton

MMU have this on their site:

"GCSE grade C in English Language"

LJM:

"Five GCSEs (Grade C or above) required, including English and Mathematics"

Central Lancashire:
" Grade C including Maths & English or equivalent"

Bolton:

"You should also have five GCSEs at grade C or above (or equivalent) including English."

So your best bet is to either a) retake maths, b) only apply to Bolton and MMU or c) apply to a foundation year
Reply 8
Original post by orphan_black
MMU have this on their site:

"GCSE grade C in English Language"

LJM:

"Five GCSEs (Grade C or above) required, including English and Mathematics"

Central Lancashire:
" Grade C including Maths & English or equivalent"

Bolton:

"You should also have five GCSEs at grade C or above (or equivalent) including English."

So your best bet is to either a) retake maths, b) only apply to Bolton and MMU or c) apply to a foundation year

Lancashire would take level 2 in maths right? because it is equivalent
Original post by meeemzi
Lancashire would take level 2 in maths right? because it is equivalent

Not sure - you can always call up the Law admissions team.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending