The Student Room Group

Edexcel Biology Unit 6 IAL (WBIO6)/ May 13th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aldamon
when i saw the first question (lizard one), i dropped all hope of getting and A*

Literally same it was utter bs
Original post by Mahdia Akter
What about the critical value related que 2d?

Oh that's where **** got real. I calculated the degree of freedom to be 4. But there was no 4 on the table so I used the value for 6 at 95% confidence level.

However, most of my friends used 16 because they did 9+9-2.

The given equation for degrees of freedom was n1+n2-2 where n1 and n2 represent the size of the group being tested. I thought that, since we have 6 apple types, 3 from each variety, 3+3-2=4.

And thing that gives me the chills is that the critical value at 6 was lower than the calculated value while the critical value at 16 was higher. So, in one case, the null hypothesis is accepted while in the other it is rejected. So the whole question goes wrong.
Reply 42
For ques 3 table, is it ok to give the dependent variable heading as maximum volume of air exhaled after deep inhalation(dm^3) instead of increase in vital capacity? Provided that for frequency of participation in yoga classes i started with 0days as negative control!
Original post by AKucukuncular
Oh that's where **** got real. I calculated the degree of freedom to be 4. But there was no 4 on the table so I used the value for 6 at 95% confidence level.

The given equation for degrees of freedom was n1+n2-2 where n1 and n2 represent the size of the group being tested. I thought that, since we have 6 apple types, 3 from each variety, 3+3-2=4.

And thing that gives me the chills is that the critical value at 6 was lower than the calculated value while the critical value at 16 was higher. So, in one case, the null hypothesis is accepted while in the other it is rejected. So the whole question goes wrong.

They might give you ECF marks if you got the wrong degree of freedom?:colondollar:
Original post by Kash97
For ques 3 table, is it ok to give the dependent variable heading as maximum volume of air exhaled after deep inhalation(dm^3) instead of increase in vital capacity? Provided that for frequency of participation in yoga classes i started with 0days as negative control!

Did you use one subject for the experiment? You should have used multiple subjects at differing yoga course frequencies.
And the dependent variable you used (maximum volume of air exhaled after deep inhalation) is vital capacity. I don't think vital capacity would count as the dependent variable. Also, at the beginning of the question it said plan an experiment to show the effect of differing yoga frequencies on vital capacity. So it is clear that the vital capacity changes, be it a normal increase or percentage increase.
Reply 45
I made the dumbest of mistakes. I got the critical value right 2.120, but I accidentally wrote it was greater than the given value then supported it in my argument . That's 4 marks gone just for one dumb error. Devastated. :argh::argh:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Annaaix_
They might give you ECF marks if you got the wrong degree of freedom?:colondollar:

Well I'm not hopeful. :dice:
were there any safety issues?

you can understand my feelings :'( i did this same shitty thing like i took 6 where the entire world took 9. It was an easy 4 mark que and since majority took 9 probaby that is the right one. There would not be a problem if null hypothesis was accepted in all cases
Original post by Mahdia Akter
you can understand my feelings :'( i did this same shitty thing like i took 6 where the entire world took 9. It was an easy 4 mark que and since majority took 9 probaby that is the right one. There would not be a problem if null hypothesis was accepted in all cases

Well, that makes two of us then. And like a million of them.
Reply 50
Did you use one subject for the experiment? You should have used multiple subjects at differing yoga course frequencies.
And the dependent variable you used (maximum volume of air exhaled after deep inhalation) is vital capacity. I don't think vital capacity would count as the dependent variable. Also, at the beginning of the question it said plan an experiment to show the effect of differing yoga frequencies on vital capacity. So it is clear that the vital capacity changes, be it a normal increase or percentage increase.

Yes i used one athlete who inhaled nd exhaled through the spirometer before going to yoga clses and the process was repeated for every 3days for 3months.
So i m not gonna receive any credit for the table and the graph?? Since my headings and y axis labelling was wrong?
Original post by Adorable98
Mine looked like this :redface:

I also drew the same thing
Original post by Kash97
Yes i used one athlete who inhaled nd exhaled through the spirometer before going to yoga clses and the process was repeated for every 3days for 3months.
So i m not gonna receive any credit for the table and the graph?? Since my headings and y axis labelling was wrong?

Maybe you will. I don't know. I would give you marks for method, if it's any consolation.
Reply 53
Maybe you will. I don't know. I would give you marks for method, if it's any consolation.

*Sigh* i knw i made a mess!! 😧 thanks though..
Original post by aldamon
thats an awesome answer, WHY DIDNT I THINK OF THAT T_T.
i was an idiot and wrote release the lizards after experiment. i was thinking on the ethical side of things

m8 thats right as well.
I was pretty happy fibres didn't come tho :tongue:
Original post by Sandy_Vega30
Welfare of lizards: I wrote about the keeping the temperatures within the given limits as too low or high temperatures kills the lizards. Ensure that the depth of the soil used to cover the eggs should be thin enough so that it is easy for them to respire after they hatch.

Source of Random error: I talked about some eggs not being viable enough to hatch.

Is that right? :redface:

I wrote the same thing for the random error thing :O
Original post by Quirky01
I also drew the same thing

It wasn't necessary to mention the sub-types of apples (since they specifically asked for us to mention only modern and traditional varieties and get their means), but 10/10 for dedication you guys, I thought of doing that but was too lazy (very stupid, i know)
Original post by aldamon
i wrote the increase in vital capacity NOT PERCENTAGE INCREASE. is this okay?

Yes
Reply 58
Original post by aldamon
thats an awesome answer, WHY DIDNT I THINK OF THAT T_T.
i was an idiot and wrote release the lizards after experiment. i was thinking on the ethical side of things

I wrote releasing them to their habitat and handling them with care. So you're saying it's wrong? :redface:
Original post by AvWOW
I wrote releasing them to their habitat and handling them with care. So you're saying it's wrong? :redface:

That's correct as well ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending