The Student Room Group

maths functional skills

Is there chance I could go to university without a math qualification? I have received a conditional offer from university of Sussex. They've asked me to provide a functional skills math qualification Level 2. I'm really not good at Math and the exams I've sat, I've failed. Is there any chance the university will let me on the course (Social work)?
Original post by Clairee_123
Is there chance I could go to university without a math qualification? I have received a conditional offer from university of Sussex. They've asked me to provide a functional skills math qualification Level 2. I'm really not good at Math and the exams I've sat, I've failed. Is there any chance the university will let me on the course (Social work)?

Generally universities wont budge on level 2 requirements and you'd need it for employment later one anyway so I think its incredibly unlikely.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Generally universities wont budge on level 2 requirements and you'd need it for employment later one anyway so I think its incredibly unlikely.

Thank you !! :smile:
At interview you usually sit a maths paper if you dont have the qualification so I'd say there is a chance
Reply 4
Original post by kitten999
At interview you usually sit a maths paper if you dont have the qualification so I'd say there is a chance

I didn't do a Math assessment on the interview. I only did a written essay based on social work and that was it. I can get my Math qualification later in the future but right now I cant and considering I'm not good at it.
Original post by Clairee_123
I didn't do a Math assessment on the interview. I only did a written essay based on social work and that was it. I can get my Math qualification later in the future but right now I cant and considering I'm not good at it.

I finally passed mine with city and guilds, and believe anyone can if I can. I had a look at OCR past papers, looked a lot harder than city and guilds, think sometimes it depends who you go with. AQA very easy past papers also, goodluck
Reply 6
hi,

I did the functional skills in maths at level 2 last year and it was easy enough only took a few weeks at a learn direct centre. Without it i wouldn't have gotten my place for social work. Learn direct were really helpful and you just go and sit and revise and do papers online then when your ready sit the test. If you see if you can find one in your area, u may be able to pass it in time for uni starting if your schedule allows for you to be able to do so.

Good Luck

Quick Reply