The Student Room Group

Edexcel Biology Unit 6 IAL (WBIO6)/ May 13th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AKucukuncular
Did you use one subject for the experiment? You should have used multiple subjects at differing yoga course frequencies.
And the dependent variable you used (maximum volume of air exhaled after deep inhalation) is vital capacity. I don't think vital capacity would count as the dependent variable. Also, at the beginning of the question it said plan an experiment to show the effect of differing yoga frequencies on vital capacity. So it is clear that the vital capacity changes, be it a normal increase or percentage increase.

you could have either chosen different levels of yoga or you could have done one with yoga, and without.
If you did with different levels, your test had to be spearman rank, otherwise it had to be a t-test.
Dependent variable was yoga whilst vital capacity was independent
Reply 61
Original post by Quirky01
I also drew the same thing

I just wrote for modern and traditional without giving for each type of apple!!!! Is that wrong?
Reply 62
Original post by ssshah2
you could have either chosen different levels of yoga or you could have done one with yoga, and without.
If you did with different levels, your test had to be spearman rank, otherwise it had to be a t-test.
Dependent variable was yoga whilst vital capacity was independent

I wrote the the frequency of classes as number of classes per week. like 1 class a week, 2 classes a week, 3 classes.. etc. And I drew a bar graph and applied t-test to it.
IV was frequency of classes and DV was percentage increase in vital capacity..
Original post by AvWOW
I wrote the the frequency of classes as number of classes per week. like 1 class a week, 2 classes a week, 3 classes.. etc. And I drew a bar graph and applied t-test to it.
IV was frequency of classes and DV was percentage increase in vital capacity..

If you used a variety of classes, it would imply you are trying to find a correlation. The only way that what you have done could work is if you did a control with no yoga, then the way you worded it could work for you.
Original post by Adorable98
Mine looked like this :redface:

OMG!!! Amen! Praise the lord! That's what I did!! I am in a pool of happy tears now. :banana::cheers::clap2:
Reply 65
Original post by ssshah2
If you used a variety of classes, it would imply you are trying to find a correlation. The only way that what you have done could work is if you did a control with no yoga, then the way you worded it could work for you.

It can't be a correlation.. frequency of classes won't be a continuous variable right?
yup I did a control of zero classes a week
Original post by AvWOW
It can't be a correlation.. frequency of classes won't be a continuous variable right?

Yes! That's what I did too. :redface:
Original post by AvWOW
I just wrote for modern and traditional without giving for each type of apple!!!! Is that wrong?

Same
Original post by AvWOW

yep you seem to be right (see what do I know ;P)
Original post by AvWOW

I did the same thing! It's still correct because they specified a table showing means of traditional and modern apples.
Adding the raw data in the table would be including the sugar content of each apple but don't think we had to add specific names!
As long as all the numbers were there :smile:
What are the advantages and disadvantages in Question 1?
Original post by Sandy_Vega30

I put advantage- that more females means more eggs hatched and so increase in population
disadvantages- that any mutations in the male genes would be passed on (implying less genetic variation but i didn't say those words i forgot omg) and even though they do mate with many females, less females' eggs would get fertilised because there's less abundance of males
Original post by Annaaix_
I put advantage- that more females means more eggs hatched and so increase in population
disadvantages- that any mutations in the male genes would be passed on (implying less genetic variation but i didn't say those words i forgot omg) and even though they do mate with many females, less females' eggs would get fertilised because there's less abundance of males

That's pretty good! :smile:
I don't think I''ll get the mark for the advantages but I definitely talked about reduced male population and less genetic diversity of the offspring for the disadvantages.
Original post by Sandy_Vega30

i said that more females would be available for mating as an advantage
for disantvantage i said that the gene pool will decrease due to more females available and not many males available
also i said that there wont be enough males to mate with all the females? i dont know if this is going to give me all 3 marks
What are variables in question 1
For the third question I wrote that the independent variable is the vital capacity. And that u compare it to a control group that was set
Is that right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bdoon esm
For the third question I wrote that the independent variable is the vital capacity. And that u compare it to a control group that was set
Is that right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think that's right, the experiment was about the effect of frequency of yoga classes on vital capacity

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I wrote dependent variable is vital capacity and not increase in vital capacity! 😭😭😔
I did not mention control🙁
So this means I will lose mark for the table as well right? As in wrong heading? Oh no.. i feel miserable..totally demotivated! Broken..I never expected myself to do such mistake..
What are steps for lizard experiment
Original post by Quirky01
I wrote dependent variable is vital capacity and not increase in vital capacity! 😭😭😔
I did not mention control🙁
So this means I will lose mark for the table as well right? As in wrong heading? Oh no.. i feel miserable..totally demotivated! Broken..I never expected myself to do such mistake..

Yeah same, I forgot to include increase in VC, hopefully they won't remove us the mark from the table though :/ because they sometimes mention that if they removed the mark from the previous part, they won't remove again for the second part

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending