The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Ou access and OU in general

Hi, pretty new here. Who does open uni?? I've just got a place on the ou acsess course starting in october. People work and society, is the one i have chosen. Im a single mum with a job and work at least 24hr a week.
Any one else done it, or thinking of starting it.
Any info about OU much appreciated.
What do you want to know? I did an Access module in 2013 and I thought it was rubbish, and ultimately a complete waste of time. What is your ultimate goal? Do you want to do a degree with the OU?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Which one did you do, i possibly want to go to brick uni and want to know if that's possible with the access course and maybe one year at ou... . Do they support u. Did u go to any of the face to face stuff?? How difficult was it and how many hours a week did u need to put in. Just any general info really. Thanks :smile: x
Original post by Zanna1990
Which one did you do, i possibly want to go to brick uni and want to know if that's possible with the access course and maybe one year at ou... . Do they support u. Did u go to any of the face to face stuff?? How difficult was it and how many hours a week did u need to put in. Just any general info really. Thanks :smile: x

I did the Humanities one. You can use Open University qualifications to gain entry to brick universities (sort of like an A level substitute), you will need to do between 60 and 120 credits at level 1. Contact universities you're interested in and ask them how many credits they require. OU access modules are level 0, they literally have no value. Due to complicated student finance rules, you must only study with the OU for one year (even if you pay for the modules yourself). Any longer and you won't get a full student loan for a degree at a brick university.

I don't remember getting any tutor support other than the occasional phone call for the access module, not that I needed any - it was very easy. There is quite a lot of support once you start 'proper' OU modules. You can contact your tutor by phone or email, an OU student forum, face-to-face tutor group meetings every month and informal student facebook groups.

Level 1 modules are themselves introductory, they are designed for beginners and start of at a fairly low level. That's why I don't see the point of access modules.
Reply 4
I was under the impression that acess course was worth 30credits and that u had to do that before the level one modules.
Also what did u do after if u dont mind me asking.
Im having second thoughts now as i dont want to waste my time.
What would u reccomend i do?? :smile:
I was under the impression that acess course was worth 30credits and that u had to do that before the level one modules.
Also what did u do after if u dont mind me asking.
Im having second thoughts now as i dont want to waste my time.
What would u reccomend i do?? :smile:

You don't need to do an access module before you can do a level 1 module. Access modules are worth 30 credits, but it's the level that counts. Click the link and look on the right hand of the screen under 'study level'. http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules/y032

OU degrees are made up of 360 credits, 120 at level 1; 120 at level 2 and 120 at level 3. You can't use the access module credits towards an OU qualification because they're level 0, and brick universities won't accept them for entry either - which is why I don't think they're worth doing, certainly not worth paying for.

To be honest I hardly remember my access module, I didn't bother reading the book and only did one of the essays - and I still passed. :lol: I think anyone who knows how to read and write could pass without much trouble. After the access module I did 120 credits at level 1 (modules AA100, L120 and A150), applied to various brick universities and got in. What subject do you want to study at the OU/a brick university?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm not sure yet probably a combined honours of sociology and psychology or i'v seen a really good one at Leeds but can't remember what it is called.Access is free so might aswell give it a go. Do u know if u can study the access and a mod one at same time??? :smile: x
I'm not sure yet probably a combined honours of sociology and psychology or i'v seen a really good one at Leeds but can't remember what it is called.Access is free so might aswell give it a go. Do u know if u can study the access and a mod one at same time??? :smile: x

Pretty sure you can't do them at the same time, no.

Quick Reply

Latest