The Student Room Group

National 5 maths was brutal

Scroll to see replies

Original post by offhegoes
Why not do something crazy, like googling "SQA N5 grade boundaries Maths 2015"?

Okay sorry :/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by Ethan100
Okay sorry :/

:tongue:
Reply 62
Original post by Jeff458.
I'm gonna get raped for this but you nat 5 kids are so stupid.

Higher matters not nat 5. Universities actually prefer if you make up in higher because they see your progress.

You're lazy. I saw the exam and it was similar to our paper last year. I thought it was very easy let alone fair. The SQA are fair to say that it was in line with specimen papers etc because IT WAS.

You're stupid petition is worthless. Higher English exam was altered. We got told less than 48 hours away from the paper. This exam can determine your next 5 years of a course. Nat 5 simply tells you to work harder. We had stress therefore going into the exam as our predictions were out the window only hours before the exam. Not only that but a paper which people at my school scored 97% in 2015 higher English was completely different to ours. Even the bloody first question!!! Even the last question!!!! We have a reason. Our paper was noticably harder, it was very different to specimen and exemplar papers which we noticed. Your stupid exam was very similar. Open your textbook and revise. Try revising for English when many have university conditions and we are told 48 hours before that the sqa changed the exam and then on the day see how different it was.

Nat 5 pieces of ****

Complaining that your exam was changed at the last minute and that it was differant from any past papers or specimen papers. You realise that contradicts what you said about n5 students using specimen and past papers as revision materials? Our 'stupid' exam definitely was not very similar to previous papers..
Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think there was any area of a sector or 3D Pythagoras questions in last years Non-calculator exam..
Original post by Aidan.15
Complaining that your exam was changed at the last minute and that it was differant from any past papers or specimen papers. You realise that contradicts what you said about n5 students using specimen and past papers as revision materials? Our 'stupid' exam definitely was not very similar to previous papers..
Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think there was any area of a sector or 3D Pythagoras questions in last years Non-calculator exam..

Pure shite that innit. Why don't they just make exams the same every year so we can end all this petition madness

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Original post by Pennyarcade
Pure shite that innit. Why don't they just make exams the same every year so we can end all this petition madness

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not saying they should make them the same, but when it's your first year of exams and teachers tell you that past papers and specimen papers should form the most part of your revision then also choose to leave out parts of the course for them to then show up in the exam, you can surely see why students are getting upset. To be fair though some of the comments from parents on that petition are ridiculous.

Not going to lie, during the prelims my class as a whole did worse on paper 1. The teacher started revision and we did many paper 1s - Int 2 from even 2003 and above. Even from those years they had the same structure, but different question types. We did this to get a better feel of the paper, but I just feel that all was a waste of time now...

Isn't that why people do past papers ? To know what may come up and how it is presented.
Not saying they should make them the same, but when it's your first year of exams and teachers tell you that past papers and specimen papers should form the most part of your revision then also choose to leave out parts of the course for them to then show up in the exam, you can surely see why students are getting upset. To be fair though some of the comments from parents on that petition are ridiculous.

If this was advanced higher or something I'd think it's fair enough to get annoyed by big topics not showing up. Starting a petition is just laughable.

You could learn the national 5 course from scratch in a few days, any semi intelligent person shouldn't need to rely on easy papers to get an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67

Higher matters not nat 5. Universities actually prefer if you make up in higher because they see your progress.

You're lazy. I saw the exam and it was similar to our paper last year. I thought it was very easy let alone fair. The SQA are fair to say that it was in line with specimen papers etc because IT WAS.

You're stupid petition is worthless. Higher English exam was altered. We got told less than 48 hours away from the paper. This exam can determine your next 5 years of a course. Nat 5 simply tells you to work harder. We had stress therefore going into the exam as our predictions were out the window only hours before the exam. Not only that but a paper which people at my school scored 97% in 2015 higher English was completely different to ours. Even the bloody first question!!! Even the last question!!!! We have a reason. Our paper was noticably harder, it was very different to specimen and exemplar papers which we noticed. Your stupid exam was very similar. Open your textbook and revise. Try revising for English when many have university conditions and we are told 48 hours before that the sqa changed the exam and then on the day see how different it was.

Nat 5 pieces of ****

Woah, calm down mate. You'll remember me from the Higher English thread - and I'm not bringing that argument here. Our paper was noticeably harder because it was Higher English, not N5 Maths. I believe I've already covered my arguments that contrast to yours on that thread. I did Higher Maths yesterday, and you don't see me telling these people that they should shut up because you think that N5 is worthless, you see me trying to help these guys understand - like I did on the H English thread - 2 things: First grade boundaries change according to results, not according to petitions. Second, their paper - like ours - contained no questions that were at all outside the Course Specification.
In terms of universities and further education, you should note that there are a number of courses which require at least N5 Maths.
Finally, I don't think anything can justify that last line of your post. Studying Higher means you are in S5/6? And people expect these students to be more mature than what you've displayed here.
Reply 68
I'm not sure why anyone is leaping to proclaim that an area of sector question in P1 is so crazy. Do you know BIDMAS? Can you multiply by 400? Can you simplify a fraction?

Great! So do it.

Nat 5 pieces of ****

If you struggled with the work because it was "very different to specimen and exemplar papers" then you probably should have opened your textbook and revised. You may not understand this but some people are not staying on in school and may have a college course or even a job which requires a Nat 5 Qualification with a strong pass. Stop being such a hypocrite. If you have nothing positive to say that could help any of us then leave the thread.
Reply 70
I'm not sure why anyone is leaping to proclaim that an area of sector question in P1 is so crazy. Do you know BIDMAS? Can you multiply by 400? Can you simplify a fraction?

Great! So do it.

I think it's more the fact that this type of question is usually to be expected in a calculator paper rather than the fact that people found it difficult to do without a calculator which as you said, it isn't.
Reply 71
I think it's more the fact that this type of question is usually to be expected in a calculator paper rather than the fact that people found it difficult to do without a calculator which as you said, it isn't.

But why? Have these people not looked at old Credit and Int2 papers? The specimen papers are clearly designed to be a rough indication, not a comprehensive guide to what could come up where.
Reply 72
But why? Have these people not looked at old Credit and Int2 papers? The specimen papers are clearly designed to be a rough indication, not a comprehensive guide to what could come up where.

That's the thing though. Old credit and int2 papers would only be useful if that style question was to be expected in a non-calculator paper. But when it appears in the calculator paper for 2 years it's expected that it wouldn't come up as a non calculator question. Still, as you said, certainly not difficult to do without a calculator.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 73
That's the thing though. Old credit and int2 papers would only be useful if that style question was to be expected in a non-calculator paper. But when it appears in the calculator paper for 2 years it's expected that it wouldn't come up as a non calculator question.

SQA were pretty clear that old Credit/Int2 papers were a great resources for exploring the wider breadth of the full N5 course that clearly can't be fully communicated through a few past papers and specimen papers.
So am I right in thinking that the SQA look at the whole of Scotland's result for an exam and determine if they need to Increase/Decrease grade boundaries ?
Come on guys, are you that stupid? You can't multiply 3.14 by 50 to get 157. Even though I just sat the higher exam, if I was given this paper last year I would get a minimum of 90% with 1 day of revision. I think the sqa should raise the A mark to at least 75%.
Reply 76
So am I right in thinking that the SQA look at the whole of Scotland's result for an exam and determine if they need to Increase/Decrease grade boundaries ?

They use statistical analysis to come up with the boundaries each year.

Then every now again again they say "hey, let's have an extra 1% get an A grade so we can show how well the [current party] government is doing with education!"
Reply 77

After all the papers have been marked and feedback has been gained from markers regarding candidate responses, the SQA then set the boundaries according to the marks gotten, so for example the top 20% marks get an A, the next 10% a B, and so on (my numbers could be wrong here so feel free to correct me). They will also look at predicted grades to help identify where pupils did unusually badly or unusually well and set boundaries from there. Grades are then awarded as per the boundaries set. They look at results nationally, not by authority or school. The grade boundaries for every subject are published every year - I think somebody's already posted a link on here - so you might want to check that out.

Nat 5 pieces of ****

Lol, calm down give me your higher paper it will take me less than an hour
Original post by PTS_99
After all the papers have been marked and feedback has been gained from markers regarding candidate responses, the SQA then set the boundaries according to the marks gotten, so for example the top 20% marks get an A, the next 10% a B, and so on (my numbers could be wrong here so feel free to correct me). They will also look at predicted grades to help identify where pupils did unusually badly or unusually well and set boundaries from there. Grades are then awarded as per the boundaries set. They look at results nationally, not by authority or school. The grade boundaries for every subject are published every year - I think somebody's already posted a link on here - so you might want to check that out.

Thank you PTS, Much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending