The Student Room Group

Best Revison Guides/Textbooks for Higher?

Hey, I'm moving into S5 soon and want to be prepared and ready for the start of the new course. Which textbooks/study guides do you recommend for the sciences?

Cheers.
Reply 1
For Physics the Hodder Gibson How to Pass book is pretty good.
I only did Physics so that's as much as I can give you I'm afraid, unless Maths and Computing Science count.
Original post by PTS_99
For Physics the Hodder Gibson How to Pass book is pretty good.
I only did Physics so that's as much as I can give you I'm afraid, unless Maths and Computing Science count.

Thank you! For maths do you recommend the Hodder Gibson Textbook?
Reply 3
Original post by scottishguyy
Thank you! For maths do you recommend the Hodder Gibson Textbook?

We got textbooks from our school which were ok, can't remember what it was called now though but it was purple & orange and quite old.

The How To Pass book is very good for maths as well though.
The How to Pass guides by Hodder Gibson are definitely the best having tested a range in English, Maths, Chemsitry, Physics and Biology. They are structured, to the point and offer number of diffeent uses/stratgies for revision as well as having useful question sections (that often include past paper questions!), key points and aids to assignments. If you're looking for something more indepth then Higher...for CfE books might be fore you. As I say they go into the key areas a little more indepth and offer more extensive questions but are not idea for revision. Some versions may not include anwsers to questions. If you are taking Higher Chemistry then it may also be worth investing in Hodder Gibson 'Test your higher chemistry calculations' book. Also, ChemCord do a number of good question books. The old Higher Heinemann maths text books are still very relevant to the course and very useful, espcially the revision guide as it includes both specimen unit assessments and course assessments that are very similar to the current maths papers.

Hope this helps, good luck for your Nat 5 results and next year!
the bright red textbooks are the best
concise, colourful, (perfect for) cramming
Reply 6
I would recommend how to pass higher biology textbook.
Reply 7
Original post by Junioh
the bright red textbooks are the best
concise, colourful, (perfect for) cramming

Not so good for Computing Science I should add.
Original post by PTS_99
Not so good for Computing Science I should add.

*not for all subjects* :tongue:
sciences ones are really good(except compsci!
Reply 9
Well I'm just saying, people need to know these things. :biggrin:
I personally like the Hodder Gibson How to Pass books. I would suggest that you go to your local bookshop and look at the different books for each subject to see which ones you prefer(you may prefer different ones for different subjects) as your preferences may not be the same as everyone else's preferences. Also, you can get discounts if you buy direct from publishers and have a Young Scot card. Hope this helps:smile:
Original post by Junioh
*not for all subjects* :tongue:
sciences ones are really good(except compsci!

I hate the bright red books with a passion!!!!!

I like the How to Pass book because it's basically science for dum dums which means it is simply worded.
Original post by .Jeff548
I hate the bright red books with a passion!!!!!

I like the How to Pass book because it's basically science for dum dums which means it is simply worded.

why don't op go to the local bookstore to have a look?
i think there is a divided opinion here
i personally wouldn't have passed crashed higher physics without it
so its just from my personal experience :smile:
Original post by Labrador99
I personally like the Hodder Gibson How to Pass books. I would suggest that you go to your local bookshop and look at the different books for each subject to see which ones you prefer(you may prefer different ones for different subjects) as your preferences may not be the same as everyone else's preferences. Also, you can get discounts if you buy direct from publishers and have a Young Scot card. Hope this helps:smile:

spot on :smile: defo go to the bookshop and have a look yourself
if you go to waterstone, they usually have textbook discount(3 for 2)
if you wanna buy your textbook online(slightly cheaper), then I'd advise you to make sure you know you're buying the right book!! I remember I bought a chemistry textbook online(usually 20 quid, it was only a tenner), then I realized that there was no answer at the back of the book😅
Original post by scottishguyy
Hey, I'm moving into S5 soon and want to be prepared and ready for the start of the new course. Which textbooks/study guides do you recommend for the sciences?Cheers.
Also, I should have said that you should check with your teachers to see if the school intend to supply you with textbooks, and if so which ones. Not every school does this and even then, not every subject within a particular school will do this. If they are going to buy/have bought books, check if you will be given them home to use (and you return them at the end of the year) or if you will only get to use them in class. You probably won't want to buy the same book that your school are giving you home(unless you like to write on your textbooks, or particularly like to have your own copy). Or you may decide you don't like the one they give you and want to buy one that suits you more. Hope this helps:smile:
Original post by Junioh
why don't op go to the local bookstore to have a look?
i think there is a divided opinion here
i personally wouldn't have passed crashed higher physics without it
so its just from my personal experience :smile:

Yeah op take a look but I must say, imo, higher physics makes sense because of how to pass for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending