The Student Room Group

Primary teacher with social anxiety disorder. POSSIBLE?!?

I'm planning to apply for Primary PGCE for the 2018-2019 entry.

I heard that the course providers would ensure I do a mental health check to see if I'm fit for teaching.

My interaction in a classroom and with children doesn't get affected. However it does hinder my interaction with peers older than Primary age (including my own age).

I've been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder recently, and I will begin my therapy soon.

Would my circumstances affect whether I can get into a teacher training course?
Reply 1
I don't know, and there would be people better suited to answer this than me, but i would say go for it, especially as it doesn't effect you in the classroom.
I have anxiety, depression and some other stuff, and I've been cleared for secondary. As long as your doctor understands that it doesn't affect you in the classroom, you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's 2 years away! Have some confidence in your therapy and yourself that you will be able to manage it extensively by then.

If you enter your therapy with the wrong attitude, you'll struggle.

You're capable of doing anything you want, including teaching.
I will be applying for my PGCE entry for primary teaching then too. You will be fine, lovely. Spend these years building yourself up and work in schools and get to know the teachers xx
Original post by Ashleyclaire
I have anxiety, depression and some other stuff, and I've been cleared for secondary. As long as your doctor understands that it doesn't affect you in the classroom, you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does that mean you were deemed fit/unfit to teach?
Do you have some ideas of the criteria teacher training courses mark you against, when looking for whether you're deemed unfit to teach?

Original post by Findlay6
That's 2 years away! Have some confidence in your therapy and yourself that you will be able to manage it extensively by then.

If you enter your therapy with the wrong attitude, you'll struggle.

You're capable of doing anything you want, including teaching.

Thanks a lot for your words of encouragement, really appreciate it! :biggrin:

Say if I do recover 2-3 years down the line, would the teacher training courses discriminate against my mental health history on whether I can teach?

That's also something else I'm worried about.:s-smilie:

Original post by samina_ay
I will be applying for my PGCE entry for primary teaching then too. You will be fine, lovely. Spend these years building yourself up and work in schools and get to know the teachers xx

Thanks for your words of encouragement. Hopefully we both become primary school teachers.
Well, my doctor thinks I can do the course, and has recommended that I am declared fit to teach. I still need to have a final meeting with the uni occupational therapists, but I think that's just a formality.
They are looking for if you are a risk to yourself or others, if you can appropriately look after those in your care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They shouldn't discriminate but if they do, it's probably not a provider you want to be with.
From my understanding (didn't have to do one for the PGCE course, but have had to do one for my NQT job), it is more about knowing what support you may need to remain capable of teaching.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending