The Student Room Group

Deciding on a career pathway?

Hello guys, although the title suggests that I am trying to make a discrete decision about my future career, I actually just want to know how to cope with opportunities which are thrown at us - A levels, University etc. - but i was unable to give this type of topic a title. I have come to a realisation that the only way to get a hang of your career path is to go with the flow and experience things; unfortunately as a 16 year old i cant say i have gotten many chances to partake in these enlightening experiences - so my question for now is: how do you decide on what to pick when options are thrown at you? Many people ive asked have usually given me answers like: 'do what you love' or 'do what your good at' ; but the thing is, i seem to like most my subjects equally and i am able to do very well at most my subjects - im good at maths, english,history, art, the sciences; my grades are a/a* for these subjects( im sorry if i sound cocky)... Therefore i am unable to make decisions which allow me to pass these opportunities and have no clue on what to do - I need advice! Haha i dont know how else to put it, can someone please maybe give ways to cope with these situations? As right now the only thing im sure of is that i want to study abroad in korea and maybe live there.. The only problem is i dont know what to study when I'm not even sure of what to do in a levels..
Original post by Emrek
Hello guys, although the title suggests that I am trying to make a discrete decision about my future career, I actually just want to know how to cope with opportunities which are thrown at us - A levels, University etc. - but i was unable to give this type of topic a title. I have come to a realisation that the only way to get a hang of your career path is to go with the flow and experience things; unfortunately as a 16 year old i cant say i have gotten many chances to partake in these enlightening experiences - so my question for now is: how do you decide on what to pick when options are thrown at you? Many people ive asked have usually given me answers like: 'do what you love' or 'do what your good at' ; but the thing is, i seem to like most my subjects equally and i am able to do very well at most my subjects - im good at maths, english,history, art, the sciences; my grades are a/a* for these subjects( im sorry if i sound cocky)... Therefore i am unable to make decisions which allow me to pass these opportunities and have no clue on what to do - I need advice! Haha i dont know how else to put it, can someone please maybe give ways to cope with these situations? As right now the only thing im sure of is that i want to study abroad in korea and maybe live there.. The only problem is i dont know what to study when I'm not even sure of what to do in a levels..

Well I am not a careers advisor, far from it but I can help you if you are interested in anything related to what I do.

I teach English as a foreign language. I personally teach in Lisbon, Portugal and it is seriously the best thing I have ever done. If you want to study and work in South Korea this is probably the easiest option there are literally thouands of teaching jobs available in the country every year (as well around the rest of the world).
Reply 2
Pick A-levels that will keep doors open. I dare say nobody would regret studying 3 decent core subjects - maybe maths, a science and history - when it comes to ucas time later. That'll put off any serious decision making for at least a year. If you still have no idea then, do a TEFL course and go Korea for a year. Better than rushing anything into anything, especially with the ****-ton of debt now involved with uni - especially if uncertain.

Amen to going with the flow and seeing what happens. That does not mean picking unwisely, ending up with a degree and job you hate and then 'going with the flow'. It means creating inspiration and new opportunities before making any serious commitment. That's hard to do at 16. Just keep doors open for now.
Reply 3
Thank you for your answer, i think that teaching might be a good path for me
Reply 4
Original post by brabzzz
Pick A-levels that will keep doors open. I dare say nobody would regret studying 3 decent core subjects - maybe maths, a science and history - when it comes to ucas time later. That'll put off any serious decision making for at least a year. If you still have no idea then, do a TEFL course and go Korea for a year. Better than rushing anything into anything, especially with the ****-ton of debt now involved with uni - especially if uncertain.

Amen to going with the flow and seeing what happens. That does not mean picking unwisely, ending up with a degree and job you hate and then 'going with the flow'. It means creating inspiration and new opportunities before making any serious commitment. That's hard to do at 16. Just keep doors open for now.

Thank you for your answer and advice,i think i might realy be rushing everything because i fear i might regret my life
Reply 5
Original post by Emrek
Thank you for your answer and advice,i think i might realy be rushing everything because i fear i might regret my life

Sounds like it - with the benefit of hindsight you'll realize that at 16 you have practically zero responsibilities and pressure. Enjoy it.

The best use you can make of your time is have some fun, nail the exams, maybe learn another language and put yourself into situations outside of your comfort zone - volunteer, sport, hobbies, travel - whatever. Not for the sake of the CV, but for the sake of meeting someone or experiencing something that will show you there are paths outside of the **** we are brainwashed into by school, parents, careers advisors and society.

Looking back in 15 years, you'll wonder how the hell you possibly got where you at that point - for better or worse - from where you are now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending