The Student Room Group

Do expensive clothes help depression

Scroll to see replies

Ain't they expensive
Will they hug you, tell you they love you and that everything will be okay?
Speaking from experience, it does to some extent. Salary as a geologist in hydrocarbon exploration is pretty good so I could afford to do it, if I wasn't earning the salary I was then it definitely would have backfired. You have to have a lot of disposable income.

That being said, it got me out of the house, wearing proper clothes, and made me interact with people outside the house. Wanting to go shopping to buy things
helped me tackle insomnia because I finally had a purpose for leaving the house (I had a lot of time off in between rotations). Wearing the nice things made me feel more attractive which is the biggest player in self-confidence for someone who used to be a little self-involved. Retail therapy can help alleviate symptoms, but as a guy above said it doesn't help with the underlying causes. If it is a chemical deficiency then anti-depressants like SSRIs can be lifesavers (as they were in my case), or it could be psychological only in which case therapy is usually very effective. Don't rely on symptom relieving methods, speak to your doctor asap, don't let it build up and control you. Good luck and if you need any extra help pm me.
Original post by Serine Soul
Will they hug you, tell you they love you and that everything will be okay?

Whilst that makes people feel better in the immediate short term, it usually does nothing for the long term and doesn't address the underlying issues. Whilst your comment was well intended no doubt, it's always good to take a holistic approach to things like this and understand that different people respond in different ways to things. It helped me get out of the house which was a major step in approaching a doctor - now I'm fine and much better for it.
I think taking care of yourself, washing, dressing nicely, doing make up etc helps you feel better about yourself if you're depressed but that doesn't have to necessarily be expensive clothes. There are plenty of nice clothes on the high street that probably have the same effect
I buy clothes because I like them bought a jumper for £125 don't regret the purchase it's good quality and stylish, I get what your saying it depends on the brand and how long it would last for
Lol
Lol of course not :lol:

Material possessions can't make you happy :no:
Reply 28
Yes, doctor's first port of call when it comes to prescriptions
image.jpgYou get what you payed for look how nice it looks quality is superb
That's true I like buying something unique like dkny it's big in the states but not in the UK
I rarely go functions wouldn't spend a lot on suits I'm will to splash out on jeans I can wear it all seasons and the fit makes you look better etc
Nooooo only you can
That's a really good job your earning big money, you see me I'm only 19 and I buy expensive clothes example £150 for just a hoodie, when I'm wearing it I feel so good, I've never had a job in my life I'm looking to work in tesco for little, what designer brands do you usually shop for, I've been depressed for over 4 years it's way too late now and thank you I'll pm you if I need any advise
image.jpgLol your saying you wouldn't be happy if someone got you this moncler jacket for over a grand
Can help you in the short term, unfortunately people that wear designer clothes tend to get more attention and respect from many especially if you are young (secondary school).
Your right the problem is still there when I get something new if it's really nice people will compliment me
That's true your health is more important than clothes but it's good to look nice when your out and about
Lool what
Designer clothes make you look nicer fits your body better quality, my mums on benefits she thinks they ain't worth it she shops in primark, I shop in shops like gstar house of Fraser etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending