The Student Room Group

Degree Calculation?

Hey everybody, I'm new here so not sure If I'm posting to the correct Forum/Sub Forum but I couldn't find any of the information I'm trying to work out from searching the Forums.

I'm a final year student, about to graduate after my two final exams in the coming weeks but am concerned with how I go about pre calculating what grades I could maybe squeeze to work out my final overall grade whether it be 2;2 a 2;1 or a first.. (Latter nearly impossible)

My University marks only on Second and Third Year of study and they advised us it wasn't an average or percentage of the years but a formula of how to work out how much each module is worth.

The formula they gave was the following:

Second Year: 4 x Modules are Single Weighted
2 x Modules are Double Weighted (Best 2 Marks from that year)

Third Year: 4 x Modules are Double Weighted
2 x Modules are Triple Weighted (Again Best 2 Marks)

Anybody can figure out how I can actually work out my marks?? :frown: It's totally confusing to me and I just don't understand it.
Reply 1
Original post by MMLewis93
Hey everybody, I'm new here so not sure If I'm posting to the correct Forum/Sub Forum but I couldn't find any of the information I'm trying to work out from searching the Forums.

I'm a final year student, about to graduate after my two final exams in the coming weeks but am concerned with how I go about pre calculating what grades I could maybe squeeze to work out my final overall grade whether it be 2;2 a 2;1 or a first.. (Latter nearly impossible)

My University marks only on Second and Third Year of study and they advised us it wasn't an average or percentage of the years but a formula of how to work out how much each module is worth.

Anybody can figure out how I can actually work out my marks?? :frown: It's totally confusing to me and I just don't understand it.

What course are you doing? I'm guessing it's not Maths... :wink:

It doesn't seem *that* tricky. Can't you do a spreadsheet with all your module marks?

A x 2
B x 2
C
D
E
F
Year 2 = sum(A:F)

G x 3
H x 3
I x 2
J x 2
K x 2
L x 2
Year 3 = sum(G:L)

Total = Year 2 + Year 3

Then you need to know the boundaries for 1st, 2:1, 2:2 etc.

Bottomline, Year 3 is worth a lot more than year 2. And the top 2 modules in Year 3 are worth nearly 14% each of your total mark.
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
What course are you doing? I'm guessing it's not Maths... :wink:

It doesn't seem *that* tricky. Can't you do a spreadsheet with all your module marks?

A x 2
B x 2
C
D
E
F
Year 2 = sum(A:F)

G x 3
H x 3
I x 2
J x 2
K x 2
L x 2
Year 3 = sum(G:L)

Total = Year 2 + Year 3

Then you need to know the boundaries for 1st, 2:1, 2:2 etc.

Bottomline, Year 3 is worth a lot more than year 2. And the top 2 modules in Year 3 are worth nearly 14% each of your total mark.

I'm doing a History course but I didn't understand the formula at all! But I think I get it now with the example you have given!
Reply 3
I'm doing a History course but I didn't understand the formula at all! But I think I get it now with the example you have given!

Here's what a possible spreadsheet could look like (you would need to complete the bits highlighted in yellow, and adjust the max credits per module etc):

Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 20.14.20.jpg

Or send me the marks and I'll input it for you :smile: (hopefully I haven't made any mistales with this - but no guarantees etc etc... !!)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
Here's what a possible spreadsheet could look like (you would need to complete the bits highlighted in yellow, and adjust the max credits per module etc):

Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 20.14.20.jpg

Or send me the marks and I'll input it for you :smile: (hopefully I haven't made any mistales with this - but no guarantees etc etc... !!)

I tried to replicate this and failed miserably!

2nd Year Marks to fill the gaps are:

13.2 Credits
12.8 Credits
12 Credits
11.6 Credits
11.4 Credits
10.2 Credits

3rd Year Marks:

13.4 Credits
13 Credits
13 Credits
12.6 Credits
12 Credits
11.6 Credits

I think thats the data you need?
Reply 5
I tried to replicate this and failed miserably!

2nd Year Marks to fill the gaps are:

13.2 Credits
12.8 Credits
12 Credits
11.6 Credits
11.4 Credits
10.2 Credits

3rd Year Marks:

13.4 Credits
13 Credits
13 Credits
12.6 Credits
12 Credits
11.6 Credits

I think thats the data you need?

Yep, and it's max 20 credits per module?
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
Yep, and it's max 20 credits per module?

Yeah max 20 credits per module :-)
Reply 7

Send me a private message with your grades from 2nd year and (predicted grades) 3rd year; also tell me the exact percentage that each module and/or module component is worth.

I will work it out for you and send you a reply.

Best regards!
Reply 8
Yeah max 20 credits per module :-)

By my calcs you get 62.5%

Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 20.41.18.jpg
Reply 9
Original post by jneill
By my calcs you get 62.5%

Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 20.41.18.jpg

That would mean a 2;1 which is what I was hoping for!

Thank you so so much for your help!
Reply 10
That would mean a 2;1 which is what I was hoping for!

Thank you so so much for your help!

Coolio. I hope it's right! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by jneill
Coolio. I hope it's right! :smile:

Hey sorry for a weird response particularly seeing as we'd worked this out before but could I have the formula which you used to create this?

Only because I've got a few of the marks wrong after final predictions etc. Thank you in advance!!
Reply 12
Hey sorry for a weird response particularly seeing as we'd worked this out before but could I have the formula which you used to create this?

Only because I've got a few of the marks wrong after final predictions etc. Thank you in advance!!

Try this
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By6S22A22Dv8WVdYY0IzUmF5S3M/view?usp=sharing

It's Excel so you will have to download and edit it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Try this
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By6S22A22Dv8WVdYY0IzUmF5S3M/view?usp=sharing

It's Excel so you will have to download and edit it.

No need to download and edit in excel if you don't have excel - can just open it Google sheets :h:
Reply 14
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
No need to download and edit in excel if you don't have excel - can just open it Google sheets :h:

Smarty pants. :smile:
Original post by jneill
Smarty pants. :smile:

Google docs is awesome and a lifesaver if you don't have a word license :cool:

Actually it's better than word IMHO :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending