The Student Room Group

How can women feel more safe?

Scroll to see replies

Hide the women and call it modesty. Im thinking something black and shapeless like a bin bag that covers a woman from top to toe. We could call it the Bin-Bagha. This is how a true progressive and caring society deals with rapey predators

Afterall, flies will land on uncovered meat
Reply 21
Original post by Impressive
Let them carry weapons. Ehe

Some men are overly protective over women.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I imagine every woman will have slightly different opinions. But I've seen videos on youtube where young women are asking for men to protect them. It's clearly a failure on the part of the state that's responsible, but if the state don't act, then many citizens will feel morally obliged to do so.
Original post by Omen96
If we are to follow modern feminism, it should only be the men who are punished

Feminism is a range of political movements, ideologies, and social movements that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve equal political, economic, personal, and social rights for women.

As quoted from wikipedia as the definition of feminism

This "modern" "feminism" is in reality all men are wrong and they're trying to reverse what happened to them in the past, so instead of men being in charge they should be in charge etc and women rule the world etc.

That is not equality we call these species "Feminazi's"
Reply 23
Original post by Big Moisty
Feminism is a range of political movements, ideologies, and social movements that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve equal political, economic, personal, and social rights for women.

As quoted from wikipedia as the definition of feminism

This "modern" "feminism" is in reality all men are wrong and they're trying to reverse what happened to them in the past, so instead of men being in charge they should be in charge etc and women rule the world etc.

That is not equality we call these species "Feminazi's"

I understand your point but my point is- that is feminism. I don't see these blurred lines of different factions, it's a single movement
Original post by Omen96
I understand your point but my point is- that is feminism. I don't see these blurred lines of different factions, it's a single movement

However not everyone thinks the same thing, some take it far(feminazi's) some take it to what it should be(normal feminists)
By not constantly buying in to ridiculous assertions and convincing themselves they are in danger. According to government statistics women from 2010 - 2016 are the safest they have ever been with 2015's figures being markedly lower according to the ONS using goverment statistics; (http://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/bulletins/crimeinenglandandwales/2015-07-16).

The current manner of teaching about such things is incoherent, inaccurate and inconclusive. A lecture of mine stated simultaneously it is a myth that men do not get raped (despite the law specifying penetration by penis) and that it is not the responsibility of victims (no arguments there) and thus asking 'what were you wearing (a question used by police to ascertain your position on CCTV), or the 'was she asking for it?', a line of argument which is a misrepresentation of a courts legal duty to infer evident facts ie a woman kissing a man and dragging him in to the toilets on balance of probability was not raped. Similarly they argue against suggesting self defence as 'victim blaming' and disproportionately talk about domestic violence as if it is much more common than other forms of assault, ABH and OAPA offences (which it is not, being in fact one of the least common with the split at about 40/60 in favour of women rather than the near 100% as its portrayed). This is the functional answer to the feel more safe question, gain some perspective about the reality rather than buying in to the line of reasoning that perpetuates victimhood.

As for how can we make women more safe, the same way we can make the whole rest of society safe. Increase the number of police, better train them to ensure a more professional and just standard, try to chip away at the general resentment by community outreach and bringing back the individual rather than a faceless service of identikit black clad officious busybodies ad hold them responsible rather than allowing the erosion of public trust as with Hillsborough. No system will be perfect but we can try to do the best with what we have (disclaimer this isnt a all police are bad argument, rather its a some police are ineffective, wrong or bad and they bring down the profession as a whole)
Original post by Tyreke
I imagine every woman will have slightly different opinions. But I've seen videos on youtube where young women are asking for men to protect them. It's clearly a failure on the part of the state that's responsible, but if the state don't act, then many citizens will feel morally obliged to do so.

You can't be serious, why don't you disagree!?!?

Carrying weapons publicly is not something you experience every day, neither something you will be comfortable with. If we think about it in depth then it will certainly cause more harm than good.

Just like you said, different group of women will have their own opinion and some prefer not to engage in any form of violence at all. This type of behaviour is rather recommended but in the same time passive towards the aggressor who is most likely use it to one's advantage.

Most people probably wouldn't like to stay inside their houses just because of the fear, and I understand that. (unless, you have other things to do if you know what I mean... *wink*)

At certain times you cannot just hide inside the closet for obvious reasons. You know you have to attend your school, college, university, workplace or whatever you're doing and it is mandatory. You can of course decide not to but you will only get in trouble, to think of trying to avoid a disastrous event only affects you negatively.

But needless to say, the situation had to be really under control for anyone to take any appropriate action and I'm 85% sure it won't happen.

* 85% is a blind guess. Caution is still recommended.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tyreke
There appears to have been a decrease in women's safety across Western and Nothern Europe in the last number of years. Many women are feeling more susceptible to being sexually assaulted.

What can we do to help women feel (and be) more safe?

I'd be especially interested to hear suggestions from women themselves seeing as they are the victims of this.

source?
Educate men. :smile:
Download safety apps - my friend has safe trek & women safety and it makes her feel a lot safer
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by pinkrox22310
Educate men. :smile:

Erm...is that all men or just the sexual assaulters?
If we banned cars in cities an awful lot more people will be walking and thus women will feel less alone at night. It would also get rid of 90% of prostitution and sex pests and be good for the environment.

the only people who should be allowed (special licence) should be disabled or people who live more than 1 miles away from a bus stop (also a special licence).

The car helps criminals more than anyone else
Original post by Tyreke
There appears to have been a decrease in women's safety across Western and Nothern Europe in the last number of years. Many women are feeling more susceptible to being sexually assaulted.

What can we do to help women feel (and be) more safe?

I'd be especially interested to hear suggestions from women themselves seeing as they are the victims of this.

Give out fines to white knights / beta orbiters like you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AlphaSteel
Give out fines to white knights / beta orbiters like you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

and what should we do with people who use stupid phrases like 'white knight' and 'beta'?
Take karate, kungfu, or some type of arts that teach you how to defend yourself

Pouring your own alcohol/drink

Traveling in packs or another person

Keeping your cellphone on you

Have a swiss army knife on you at all times or some type of weapon that isn't illegal

Never walk in dark areas by yourself
Reply 35
Original post by Big Moisty
Nothing, it's ingrained into their mind that almost all men are rapist so maybe they get scared when they see one.
Whereas reality is quite different their view is what distorst what reality is and what they think is happening.

Of course punishing the men by castration or assaulting the paenus when they sexually assault someone is quite fine,
so what sort of punishment when women rape men? maybe ripping out the ovaries??? you can't have things one way and not the other.

Equality is what feminism strives for so everyone here must be on equal terms.

sure it does that's what they want when they say #killallmen and #ibatheinmaletears
Reply 36
What can we do to keep men safe? after all the are most likely to be victims of violent crime
Learn martial arts ! Watch this. Who wants to attack this kid?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aEjGQB9BKWA

Posted from TSR Mobile
most abuse happens in the home

Thus, as part of the marriage process, churches, mosques, synagoges, temples and registry offices should be forced by law to teach women what to do if their spouse becomes abusive (either mental or physical). Everything from calling police, social services, changing locks - how to watch out for "controlling" behaviour (this should be hi-lighted to women so that they all know that this is now a crime that carries a prison sentence).
Original post by FredOrJohn
most abuse happens in the home

Thus, as part of the marriage process, churches, mosques, synagoges, temples and registry offices should be forced by law to teach women what to do if their spouse becomes abusive (either mental or physical). Everything from calling police, social services, changing locks - how to watch out for "controlling" behaviour (this should be hi-lighted to women so that they all know that this is now a crime that carries a prison sentence).

perhaps this should go without saying, but men should be taught what to do as well! certainly intimate partner violence seems to affect women more, but (a) it still affects a huge number of men, and (b) it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of men were on the receiving end of 'controlling behaviour' too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending