The Student Room Group

Atheism or Apatheism?

I'd class myself as an atheist, however I recetntly stumbled across this definition of a concept called apatheism, which I think actually describes my belief (or lack thereof) a lot better than atheism.

To me, atheism suggests that I actively believe that there isn't a higher being.. Whereas, using the idea of apatheism, I just really don't care - it doesn't make a difference to me whether there is or isn't, and it doesn't really affect my outlook, beliefs or opinions.

What do you think and where do you stand?
why does it matter
I actually never heard of this until now, and after reading about it, I think I agree too. I dont actively mean to say there is no God. I am not interested accepting or denying the existence of God, and this term describes it perfectly.
I always said I was an apatheist because I think God might possibly exist, even though the chances are small but I don't care if he exists or not.
I find myself caring because of the world of mind**** religion has induced on society.
With religion being a result of the belief in god I think it's important to be able to show just how unlikely the existance of a god is.
If you take religion out of the equation then yea sure, I'd care as much as I care about Bigfoot.
Reply 5
Omg

Yes.

Thank you, you have defined my viewpoint finally. This pretty much matches my beliefs.
Original post by ABeingOnEarth
why does it matter

Precisely the point I'm trying to make.

Unless you're referring to the point of this thread, in which case I'm just interested in other people's views.
Original post by pizzanomics
Precisely the point I'm trying to make.

Unless you're referring to the point of this thread, in which case I'm just interested in other people's views.

No I'm just saying your either believe in god (which I do), or don't. End of.
Like you con't "might" believe in god. Because then your not believing are you.
No I'm just saying your either believe in god (which I do), or don't. End of.
Like you con't "might" believe in god. Because then your not believing are you.

Well I just don't care if there is or isn't. Regardless of the answer to the question "Is there a god?", it doesn't bother/impact me in the slightest. There is a god? Oh, cool. There isn't a god? Oh, cool.
Original post by pizzanomics
Well I just don't care if there is or isn't. Regardless of the answer to the question "Is there a god?", it doesn't bother/impact me in the slightest. There is a god? Oh, cool. There isn't a god? Oh, cool.

Surely you care whether there's a God or not. I mean if god does exist he created you and everything around you so you should care. But if that's your opinion then I respect that.
Surely you care whether there's a God or not. I mean if god does exist he created you and everything around you so you should care. But if that's your opinion then I respect that.

But why should I care? I'm here now for ~70 more years if I'm lucky and there have been far more advances in technology that man has created and have had nothing to do with a god. I'm living for myself, the existence of a god isn't going to change that, and definite proof that there is no such thing as 'God' isn't going to change that either.
Not to sound judgemental or offensive but I could never understand people who state they really just don't care about whether or not a higher being i.e God exists. Caring and believing are two different things; I'm not speaking about people's lack of belief. But only the caring aspect. I'm assuming atheists do care as they care enough to acknowledge their lack of belief. But when someone says they just don't care, I'm here like wow. It's just I would think someone would care since the question 'does God exist?', concepts of God and religion, historically has immensely impacted on society and currently still are enormous sectors within our society to where this even affects some of our laws i.e abortion being illegal in Ireland then overseas women not being able to drive in Saudia Arabia or show certain parts of their skin because of modesty all because of people's beliefs and religions which then affects the majority of the world, citizens- everyone (both religious, non religious etc).

I'm not saying this to put you down or change your mind but I'm simply saying I'm shocked. Caring to know whether a God exits or not is all that seems familiar to me because thoughts on God, religion etc are constantly in my head- to know if 'it' does exist, what is it and if it's anything like most religions who have billions of followers described it to be. Whether hell, hades, sheol, etc exists though people believe it does not and others believe it does- neither have died and resurrected to tell us their experience. Life after death is still a mystery. Knowing whether or not all the long years of middle eastern conflict concerning religion i.e religious wars, massacres over the centuries, up to now- all in the name of religion were all worth it or not. Probably not. Maybe I'm obsessed. I believe in God and going by labels I'm a 'Christian' but where I am in the moment concerning my faith I care way too much but about this notion- 'imagine if God exists and all religions are completely wrong about it's nature and doings'.
(edited 7 years ago)

I suppose I'm also an apatheist but it seems like a stupid label to assign oneself.
Original post by Cherry82
Not to sound judgemental or offensive but I could never understand people who state they really just don't care about whether or not a higher being i.e God exists. Caring and believing are two different things; I'm not speaking about people's lack of belief. But only the caring aspect. I'm assuming atheists do care as they care enough to acknowledge their lack of belief. But when someone says they just don't care, I'm here like wow. It's just I would think someone would care since the question 'does God exist?', concepts of God and religion, historically has immensely impacted on society and currently still are enormous sectors within our society to where this even affects some of our laws i.e abortion being illegal in Ireland then overseas women not being able to drive in Saudia Arabia or show certain parts of their skin because of modesty all because of people's beliefs and religions which then affects the majority of the world, citizens- everyone (both religious, non religious etc).

I'm not saying this to put you down or change your mind but I'm simply saying I'm shocked. Caring to know whether a God exits or not is all that seems familiar to me because thoughts on God, religion etc are constantly in my head- to know if 'it' does exist, what is it and if it's anything like most religions who have billions of followers described it to be. Whether hell, hades, sheol, etc exists though people believe it does not and others believe it does- neither have died and resurrected to tell us their experience. Life after death is still a mystery. Knowing whether or not all the long years of middle eastern conflict concerning religion i.e religious wars, massacres over the centuries, up to now- all in the name of religion were all worth it or not. Probably not. Maybe I'm obsessed. I believe in God and going by labels I'm a 'Christian' but where I am in the moment concerning my faith I care way too much but about this notion- 'imagine if God exists and all religions are completely wrong about it's nature and doings'.

I guess saying I don't care is a bit of a harsh way of putting it. It's more that it doesn't bother me and whatever the true outcome is, it's irrelevent to the way I live my life and see the world. It sounds morbid, but (other than saying I don't know what truly happens, because nobody does) I really believe we're just worm food when we die.. but I've come to accept that and it's okay.

I think that is why I associate more with this 'label' than atheism.. because to me whenever I think of atheism/atheists, I tend to imagine people who are so adamant that there is no possiblity at all of the existance of a god, but that's not how I feel. I don't know, and I'm not bothered. It's not that I couldn't care less, because I suppose everyone kind of cares a little bit and it's something that almost everyone has an opinion on, but it's more that to me, it doesn't matter.
Original post by VoteLeave

LOL. Although if atheism is true then that is true for all people. Of atheism is false then they may not disappear after death.

But I still get the point :smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending