The Student Room Group

National 5 maths was brutal

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by PTS_99
After all the papers have been marked and feedback has been gained from markers regarding candidate responses, the SQA then set the boundaries according to the marks gotten, so for example the top 20% marks get an A, the next 10% a B, and so on (my numbers could be wrong here so feel free to correct me). They will also look at predicted grades to help identify where pupils did unusually badly or unusually well and set boundaries from there. Grades are then awarded as per the boundaries set. They look at results nationally, not by authority or school. The grade boundaries for every subject are published every year - I think somebody's already posted a link on here - so you might want to check that out.

Ultimately the SQA also publish a report each year for each paper detailing how candidates nationally found each question and the exams overall. Makes interesting reading for anyone curious about how it works :smile:
Reply 81
Original post by Ethan100
Thank you PTS, Much appreciated.

No bother.

Original post by offhegoes
Ultimately the SQA also publish a report each year for each paper detailing how candidates nationally found each question and the exams overall. Makes interesting reading for anyone curious about how it works :smile:

Yep there's that too if you want to know your way around the system, thanks for reminding me offhegoes.
Reply 82
What are the chances the grade boundaries will drop to 31-32%? Lol

I'm always terrible at paper 2 so I was relying on a really good paper 1 to pull me up. Oh well!
Seriously? Nothing in that paper was too hard... Its simple maths!! All questions were similar to the difficulty of previous papers. If you struggled then obviously you didn't study enough and need to try harder. Its not the SQA's fault, its yours.
Reply 84
Why are people that are currently sitting higher/advanced higher/beyond complaining that this years N5 maths exam is easy? Of course it will be easy for you, you're studying maths at a much higher level!

Aside from that, IMO Paper 1 was brutal, think I messed up at least 3 questions, paper 2 was easy I think I got near full marks for that one.
Original post by SSJBlue
Why are people that are currently sitting higher/advanced higher/beyond complaining that this years N5 maths exam is easy? Of course it will be easy for you, you're studying maths at a much higher level!

Aside from that, IMO Paper 1 was brutal, think I messed up at least 3 questions, paper 2 was easy I think I got near full marks for that one.

Same, I just had little mistakes on Paper 2.

What questions did you get wrong on Paper 1 ?
Reply 86
Same, I just had little mistakes on Paper 2.

What questions did you get wrong on Paper 1 ?

The 3D Vector triangle thing (I was never really good with 3D vectors in the first place) and the triangle, square quadratic equation.
Original post by SSJBlue
The 3D Vector triangle thing (I was never really good with 3D vectors in the first place) and the triangle, square quadratic equation.

You would still get an A grade don't you thinK ?
Reply 88
Original post by SSJBlue

We're providing our input because we know what the N5 standards are. We've done the course too and we know what was expected of us at that level, something which some of you clearly didn't know from some of the stuff I'm seeing here.
Reply 89
You would still get an A grade don't you thinK ?

Hmm, high B probably, low A if I'm lucky. I just hope my paper 2 mark brings my final grade up.
Original post by SSJBlue
Hmm, high B probably, low A if I'm lucky. I just hope my paper 2 mark brings my final grade up.

I'm in the exact same position as you
Reply 91
Original post by PTS_99
We're providing our input because we know what the N5 standards are. We've done the course too and we know what was expected of us at that level, something which some of you clearly didn't know from some of the stuff I'm seeing here.

Fair point, I feel the main problem with paper one was that some units were combined hence why people said it was "unfamiliar" e.g the surd function question, 3D vector pythagoras question and the quadratic area one. I think the problem is that most people have had a lack of problem solving practice, last years paper was easier as it relied less on this.
Reply 92
I'm in the exact same position as you

Best of luck pal, hope you get that A :smile:
Original post by SSJBlue
Best of luck pal, hope you get that A :smile:

You too man, I agree with what you said above about the problem solving.
I think I might get a B if they lower the boundaries, here's me praying!
Reply 95
Original post by SSJBlue

This^^^^^
I'm glad it wasn't just me who found Paper 1 hard! No-one was crying in the exam but I sure felt like it..ugh..I'd never realised how bad at multiplication I was until that moment. I'm really hoping that i won't fail, though, I've made a lot of stupid mistakes in both papers and I'm more than a bit worried about it.. :/
Reply 97
Original post by Aidan.15
I agree people are exaggerating a bit. However, when you have studied and revised for months using past/specimen papers as instructed by teachers, only to see a paper with a completely differant layout and question style it knocks your confidence the minute you open the paper. Students who had achieved A's or B's in their prelim and hoped to do the same in the final exam might now even have to sit N5 again next year..

Our teacher made us revise via past papers in class. However she never made it a statement to "use these as your basis" Instead she gave a list of topics that are covered in Nat 5, and asked us to study the things we struggled with - she also made it clear that our revision was up to ourselves.

Past papers are there to help you get a flow of the exam overall. It tests your analytical skills and enables you to experience the standard of questions and pressure that are in the final exam. BUT you don't gain full understanding with past papers alone. The paper was a completely different layout? That is true, but when you leave school do you really expect the workplace to be predictable and as expected? no. You work hard to meet those expectations you created.

^ sooooo anyways, im just saying that life is unpredictable and these are exams that test how well you understood the topic. Also I'm bitter with all these petitions:colonhash:
it made its way onto the news so they might take notice and lower the bands. Hopefully an A is 65% because I made so many stupid errors in both papers plus there were really hard questions I couldn't do. I wanted all A's but I'll settle for a B in maths
Reply 99
Original post by Poppy_master
it made its way onto the news so they might take notice and lower the bands. Hopefully an A is 65% because I made so many stupid errors in both papers plus there were really hard questions I couldn't do. I wanted all A's but I'll settle for a B in maths

How many times do I have to repeat myself? Grades do not change because of petitions or the exam making it onto the news, they change with every exam according to candidate marks.

Quick Reply

Latest