The Student Room Group

How to cut immigration at a stroke, legally.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maker
I think he is angling for joining UKIP but even they have their standards.

:nah:
Original post by Maker
Let get rid of obesity by banning food.

No need. If we follow OP's plan and close the airports, we won't be able to import any food by air. Kill two birds with one stone
Original post by TheTechN1304
No need. If we follow OP's plan and close the airports, we won't be able to import any food by air. Kill two birds with one stone

I suppose we will still have sailing boats to reach America and so on?
Close a small airport and all that happens is the traffic goes to another

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by Jammy Duel
Close a small airport and all that happens is the traffic goes to another

Posted from TSR Mobile

The reason why they want to build a third runway at Heathrow is because they are expecting a million more people to come here. If you did not open the runway they could not come here.

People here have called me "thick" but they have not in the slightest way managed to come up with coherent counter arguments.

Some "idiot" even suggested that Gordon Brown did not cause the global recession. I think most people know that over 50% of the entire problem was the trillion dollar trades in CDOs and CDO squareds that took place in the Mayfair based finance companies - shady and only lightly regulated by the old FSA .

It was sub prime property in the USA but the underlying trades in these properties (CDOs) took place mainly here. It was also UK companies that provided the risk level data that was clearly proved wrong.

So yes Brown was to blame in the sense his bum was on the seat while this took place in the UK.
Reply 25
Original post by FredOrJohn
The reason why they want to build a third runway at Heathrow is because they are expecting a million more people to come here. If you did not open the runway they could not come here.

People here have called me "thick" but they have not in the slightest way managed to come up with coherent counter arguments.

Some "idiot" even suggested that Gordon Brown did not cause the global recession. I think most people know that over 50% of the entire problem was the trillion dollar trades in CDOs and CDO squareds that took place in the Mayfair based finance companies - shady and only lightly regulated by the old FSA .

It was sub prime property in the USA but the underlying trades in these properties (CDOs) took place mainly here. It was also UK companies that provided the risk level data that was clearly proved wrong.

So yes Brown was to blame in the sense his bum was on the seat while this took place in the UK.

I think I have a way of stopping these threads from starting.
When the OP said Labour caused the 2008 recession I thought to myself this guy doesn't know what hes talking about.
Original post by Quantex
This doesn't go far enough. We need radical change to halt immigration.

I propose halting all air flights and placing thousands of naval mines in The English Channel. Sure, some will miss out on their week in Brittany and Fido the dog may blow up while taking a paddle, but we need to be wiling to make sacrifices.

Hear, hear.
Common sense is still alive & kicking in good old Great Britain.
:smile:
:wink2:
:cheers:
Reply 28
Original post by 76584
no coherent counter-argument? neither have you, you completely ignored the question about what would you do with the millions of people who are now not going on holiday and all the holiday/travel agent businesses that lose money?

I have. There is nothing that can be done.

You are making a false assumption that you can cut immigration and remain rich at the same time.

Its not possible.

All my argument is that, within the EU framework we currently are in, we can cut immigration to more or less nothing but closing down Heathrow. If that is too much to handle, cut it a little bit by closing down Stansted or Gatwick or not building any new runways or airports.

I did not say this would be pleasant.

Clearly closing the UK border would also cause huge economic disruption.

There is no way to cut immigration without causing massive economic problems - so we might as well do it by closing heathrow as any other way.

(I am strongly in favour of free movement of people - I 'm just making a helpful suggestion to those who want to cut immigration - help stop Heathrow building a new runway)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by 76584
no coherent counter-argument? neither have you, you completely ignored the question about what would you do with the millions of people who are now not going on holiday and all the holiday/travel agent businesses that lose money?

Thomas Cook will send a hitman after the OP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending