The Student Room Group

Good enough for Stanford/Ivies? + other queries

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Imperion
More like 2100... Idek if you'll get looked at with 1500.

He's talking about the new SAT which is out of 1600
I'll post later

Original post by Student403
Where did you get the stats for these?

The new SAT is reverting to the old system, where 1600 was the top score... Test is also harder, so a 1500 now would be similar to a 2300 or more in the old scoring
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd be more worried about the cost , pretty sure those merican unis cost a lot.
He's talking about the new SAT which is out of 1600

:getmecoat: Whoa ._. That looks... worse
Original post by CrimsonDucati

The new SAT is reverting to the old system, where 1600 was the top score... Test is also harder, so a 1500 now would be similar to a 2300 or more in the old scoring

Shaz...
I'll post later

Don't think so. From a concordance table from the Collegeboard website 1500 is about 2160/2170

SAT changed from the 2400 scale from March.

I will be giving SAT in October.

Collegeboard ****ed me over so badly (long story)
Where did you get the stats for these?

From his bum

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSR Mustafa
I'd be more worried about the cost , pretty sure those merican unis cost a lot.

Not if you're poor or middle class.

The top schools have policies where if your household income falls below a certain threshold (most common is $65k (£45k)) the university covers your full cost of attendance with a financial aid package. The threshold for getting tuition waived is usually higher ($100-150k (£70-105k)), so all the parents are paying for at that range is the living expenses.

All of the above applies to both domestic and international students alike. It's only when your parents earn a crapload that the price of education at a top private US uni becomes obscene.
Original post by Princepieman
Not if you're poor or middle class.

The top schools have policies where if your household income falls below a certain threshold (most common is $65k (£45k)) the university covers your full cost of attendance with a financial aid package. The threshold for getting tuition waived is usually higher ($100-150k (£70-105k)), so all the parents are paying for at that range is the living expenses.

All of the above applies to both domestic and international students alike. It's only when your parents earn a crapload that the price of education at a top private US uni becomes obscene.

Thanks for the enlightenment :smile:
can't go by this...

The math questions are more difficult. The number of people getting in the 700's in math will be considerably lower.

A person that scored 1500 on the SAT in the 70's would put you in a very elite category, while averaging a minimum of 700 on 3 sections today would put you in the 97th%... Still very high, but tens of thousands do it each year.

Hundreds of students get a perfect score each year.... It used to be around 3-4

The new test might not be quite as difficult, but it's up a few notches.

1500 in the new sat is a 750 average in math and reading.

that ill put you in the 99th% in the new test.... 2170 was only 98th% in the old test, and the test was easier

You can't use these new College Board score conversions, because they are bogus

College Board now has 2 percentiles

it used to only have one percentile, which was how your score measured up against other test takers.. Most people when they see a % score assume this is what it means

But in order to gain ground on the ACT, the new SAT has another % score

It compares you against the "national average" This a measure of how you fare against students that took the test, and includes a hypothetical average of students that never took the test.

The % will be higher in this ranking, as it assumes that the students that actually take the test are the ones that score better; a reasonable assumption, but also irrelevant and misleading.

Don't think so. From a concordance table from the Collegeboard website 1500 is about 2160/2170
Reply 31
Regardless, you're only compared to students applying from your country not across the entire applicant pool.

Really? Interesting... so they have a quota per country? Is that a Stanford-only thing or common to the top schools?

Then we can't really guess what a 1500 would be equivalent to until the end of this year when we have the national percentiles from test takers.
Let's see if you can follow this. If not, I will write a simplified version

1- The acceptance rate for international students for these universities is lower than the overall admit rate; 4-6% lower. Here's statistics for MIT

8% overall admit rate

International admit rate- 3.3%

4.7% lower than it's overall admit rate

http://mitadmissions.org/apply/process/stats

2- Stanford receives many international applicants

3- Stanford's overall admit rate this year was 4.69%, lower than even Harvard and MIT

hence we can conclude that the international acceptance rate was around, say, .5% to 1%

Not an exact science, but a pretty reasonable conclusion

Original post by jneill
Really? Interesting... so they have a quota per country? Is that a Stanford-only thing or common to the top schools?

Not only a country quota, but also a state quota, and a US school district quota.

These selective universities will normally bucket US applications by state and (where there are sufficient numbers) by school district area to make accurate comparisons. It's well known that some state school systems differ in rigour, availability of 'top' school courses (like APs) and of course socioeconomic situations (and thus one's ability to get involved with extra curricular activities).

Country-wise, it's easier to compare students with similar educational backgrounds than it is to compare qualifications internationally, for example comparing the board exams in India to A-levels in the UK would be too difficult.

These unis try to get as 'diverse' a class as possible - so if that means there's a lack of applicants from Wyoming, applicants from there would have a distinct advantage vs say a kid applying from New York.

How it works is each state/district/country is separated and assessed independently by a group (or sometimes just an individual) of adcoms. Applications are rated using a set rubric and those who fall below the rubric may be compared to others in the pile or they would get outright rejected. If there's controversy over whether an applicant has a good case (i.e. some adcoms rate them highly and some poorly), they would then take it to 'committee' where a board of adcoms would then decide (via voting and comparing the application to benchmark 'must admits' from that region) whether to take them or not.

This process is standard at most selective universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Let's see if you can follow this. If not, I will write a simplified version

1- The acceptance rate for international students for these universities is lower than the overall admit rate; 4-6% lower. Here's statistics for MIT

8% overall admit rate

International admit rate- 3.3%

4.7% lower than it's overall admit rate

http://mitadmissions.org/apply/process/stats

2- Stanford receives many international applicants

3- Stanford's overall admit rate this year was 4.69%, lower than even Harvard and MIT

hence we can conclude that the international acceptance rate was around, say, .5% to 1%

Not an exact science, but a pretty reasonable conclusion

You've just proven you pulled it out of your bum. Your 'reasoning' is pretty off as you have no idea how many international students apply, you only know how many are admitted. So to come up with a number and be so certain of said number, from a dubious at best method of deduction, is grossly misleading.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Not only a country quota, but also a state quota, and a US school district quota.

Thanks! Makes a lot of sense.

Is there published data on the country quotas at the different top universities?
Original post by jneill
Thanks! Makes a lot of sense.

Is there published data on the country quotas at the different top universities?

Nope, it's private information. And most institutions would face severe backlash if they admitted to having quotas.

It's akin to why investment banks will say they 'recruit from all universities' when 6 of them make up 70%+ of front office intakes.
???

for MIT, we do know how many

it gives the number.. You obviously did not look

so how does my reasoning not work?

heres the actual numbers

"131 admitted out of 3,971"

hence the rate of 3.3%

overall admit rate is 8%... This includes international applicants

from there, we do simple math

8-3.33= 4.7

so 4.7% lower than the overall admit rate, which includes internationals

To be more accurate, the admit rate between domestic and international students is even GREATER, but I made it simple for you

You've just proven you pulled it out of your bum. Your 'reasoning' is pretty off as you have no idea how many international students apply, you only know how many are admitted. So to come up with a number and be so certain of said number, from a dubious at best method of deduction, is grossly misleading.

Posted from TSR Mobile
???

for MIT, we do know how many

it gives the number.. You obviously did not look

so how does my reasoning not work?

heres the actual numbers

"131 admitted out of 3,971"

hence the rate of 3.3%

overall admit rate is 8%... This includes international applicants

from there, we do simple math

8-3.33= 4.7

so 4.7% lower than the overall admit rate, which includes internationals

To be more accurate, the admit rate between domestic and international students is even GREATER, but I made it simple for you

I'm talking about Stanford.. It's quite clear what the admit stats are for MIT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending