The Student Room Group

struggling with A-levels choices again :(

post removed

Scroll to see replies

You should ideally be studying 4 AS subjects, especially if only 2 are facilitating.
In my opinion, it is generally better to do subjects that you know/think you will enjoy (and subsequently do better in), than to do subjects that are 'respected', especially if you aren't sure what you want to do afterwards. Try not to worry about what your friends are doing, just focus on doing your best! :smile:
Just be prepared to maybe not be competitive for the most popular courses. 'None of the other ones interest me' probably won't mitigate your decision now when applying to universities.
Reply 4
Government and Politics is absolutely fine. Yes it's not well respected but it's not 'soft' either. What matters more is the grade rather than the actual qualification itself.
One thing I noticed about facilitating subjects is that it's only mandatory to have them if you intend to do a degree in that subject, i.e. if you want to do a Maths degree, Maths is a must-have, if you want to do Geography, then the A Level in that is must-have, but if you want to do Politics or Psychology at uni, you won't necessarily need the A Level in that subject. That's really what facilitating subjects are good for.
There are subjects like RS/Philosophy, Economics and Computing that are considered on par with the facilitating subjects, but because you don't actually need the A level in that subject to do it at uni, it's not facilitating.

So no, your friend is wrong, I reckon you could still get into a good uni without ANY facilitating subjects except for maybe Oxbridge. While it's true that the facilitating subjects are well respected, a D in Physics is still worse than an A in Sociology for example, even if it required more work to get that grade in Physics.
Original post by Kyle1198

One thing I noticed about facilitating subjects is that it's only mandatory to have them if you intend to do a degree in that subject,

Counter example: Maths is required for more than just maths degrees. Chemistry, physics, engineering, and economics, to name just a few examples.

Politics indeed doesn't require any specific subject combination but in studying politics at AS the OP must understand he limits his options. He'd be equally eligible to study politics with history which would also open up other degree options, for instance.
Reply 6
I did Politics, History, Religious Studies and English Lit at AS and dropped English Lit during A2 after I'd gotten my offers and firmed. I got offers from three RG unis and one non RG but decent uni. Your choices are fine.
Original post by Airmed
@ihatePE I did Politics, History, Religious Studies and English Lit at AS and dropped English Lit during A2 after I'd gotten my offers and firmed. I got offers from three RG unis and one non RG but decent uni. Your choices are fine.

Note this user had 4ASs and the OP has 3. The situations are not identical.
Reply 8
Original post by BizzStrut
Counter example: Maths is required for more than just maths degrees. Chemistry, physics, engineering, and economics, to name just a few examples.

Politics indeed doesn't require any specific subject combination but in studying politics at AS the OP must understand he limits his options. He'd be equally eligible to study politics with history which would also open up other degree options, for instance.

Yeah what I mean is facilitating subjects are needed for certain uni courses.
There are still plenty of degree subjects which do not require specific A Levels, so it's not a big deal at all.
Original post by Kyle1198
Yeah what I mean is facilitating subjects are needed for certain uni courses.
There are still plenty of degree subjects which do not require specific A Levels, so it's not a big deal at all.

Maybe not. I just wanna make sure he's entirely informed. Since everybody is arguing one way, I'm trying to act as the balance.
Also I would pick 4 AS' in case it turns out you absolutely hate one of your A Levels, that way you won't be stuck with it and it will give you the option of dropping it.
Reply 11
Original post by BizzStrut
Note this user had 4ASs and the OP has 3. The situations are not identical.

I dropped English due to mental health issues. I was the only person in my Politics class doing 4 AS Levels (as I did Politics at a different school) and they got offers from RG unis.

Dundee university even allowed me to skip first year.
Reply 12
If you can do a fourth one though, do. Even for AS, just in case stuff goes wrong.
^ the 4th AS isn't necessary due to the A level reforms.
They are fine but maybe do a fourth subject. The three subjects you've chosen are too similar imo so they might limit your options for university courses. Maybe do maths- that would open up more choices in the future.
Original post by Airmed
@ihatePE I did Politics, History, Religious Studies and English Lit at AS and dropped English Lit during A2 after I'd gotten my offers and firmed. I got offers from three RG unis and one non RG but decent uni. Your choices are fine.

So you did 4 AS, all of which are generally seen as accepted by almost every university, if not every. This user is doing 3, one of which (Government and Politics) is in a murky area.

Your choices are fine, but are you sure your Sixth Form doesn't offer straight Politics? It is slightly more well-accepted by universities.
Original post by Airmed
I dropped English due to mental health issues. I was the only person in my Politics class doing 4 AS Levels (as I did Politics at a different school) and they got offers from RG unis.

Dundee university even allowed me to skip first year.

I'm not sure why your mental health issues are relevant here. I'll skip past that for now.

If politics + 2 other subjects got offers into the Russell group then fantastic for OP. I'm still sceptical of it's sensibility, given he may be limiting his options to the likes of Dundee which while a fine institution may be fishing in shallow water depending on his aspirations. Probably should shop around and email different universities he likes the look of-- see if they're all happy with the combo for courses he's interested in.

Re: skipping the first year, is this not the case with all A Level students studying in 4 year BAs in Scotland? I ask because it's not exceptional insomuch that it need be mentioned, it seems.
(edited 7 years ago)
Stop worrying and overthinking A level choices...join the army.

*In all seriousness speak to someone at your school or something
thats fine...your doing 2 facilitating subjects geography and history maybe pick up a 4th AS like economics as it goes well with geography ?
they're turning linear? (minus maths and a few others here and there)
Didn't your school inform you of this?

My school is telling us to only study 3 A levels next year (unless we get 7A*s at GCSE to show that we can put up with the immense workload of 4 or something)

Quick Reply

Latest