The Student Room Group

AQA As level philosophy help!?

Hey, so the aqa Philosophy as level exam is a week tomorrow and I am really concerned about it. There is just so much to learn and none of its going in.

I think my main problem is actually articulating what I want to say on paper, and I always just brain dump everything I know about what the questions is asking, which often ends in redundancy so then I lose marks.

Based on my mock exams I have done, I need to get an extra 5 marks on each section (10 marks overall) to achieve a B grade.

Any tips on how to pick up more points easily? Or just how to revise so I can maximise my time over the next week to get the best grade possible?

Any help would be really appreciated, thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Hey, okay these are the tips I follow by for each question:

2 marks: legit one sentence that just states the definition.
5 marks: explain the process of an argument e.g. Descartes' cosmological. So basically just explain one argument, no comparing or evaluating.
9 marks: Dont repeat the same thing twice. Start off by a simple small paragraph that explains the key points that youre comparing and then evaluate them in another paragraph.
15 marks: LINE of argument--> what do you personally think? With this, include what the MAIN argument is (which argument persuades you the most/is the strongest). Then include 2-3 arguments which includes a statement of why or why not theyre strong or weak( WEIGHT to the arguments). Then include their criticisms and if you remember their come backs or replies then add them. LINK your arguments to the question and dont forget to end with your CONCLUSION which links to the line of argument and question.

Hope this helps, if you need any help with a certain topic in the units then you can ask :smile: I need to go over them all anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe the current method of revision isn't working for you. You're right, it really does feel like a lot, but breaking down the core bits you need to learn then checking off each bit you feel comfortable with can be really helpful. Are you doing AQA? If so, here's a list of the bits you need to know :smile: hope this helps
Reply 3
Original post by Samiixoxo
Hey, okay these are the tips I follow by for each question:

2 marks: legit one sentence that just states the definition.
5 marks: explain the process of an argument e.g. Descartes' cosmological. So basically just explain one argument, no comparing or evaluating.
9 marks: Dont repeat the same thing twice. Start off by a simple small paragraph that explains the key points that youre comparing and then evaluate them in another paragraph.
15 marks: LINE of argument--> what do you personally think? With this, include what the MAIN argument is (which argument persuades you the most/is the strongest). Then include 2-3 arguments which includes a statement of why or why not theyre strong or weak( WEIGHT to the arguments). Then include their criticisms and if you remember their come backs or replies then add them. LINK your arguments to the question and dont forget to end with your CONCLUSION which links to the line of argument and question.

Hope this helps, if you need any help with a certain topic in the units then you can ask :smile: I need to go over them all anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you this is so useful! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by GeorgiaStardust!
Maybe the current method of revision isn't working for you. You're right, it really does feel like a lot, but breaking down the core bits you need to learn then checking off each bit you feel comfortable with can be really helpful. Are you doing AQA? If so, here's a list of the bits you need to know :smile: hope this helps

Thank you, I'll definitely use that document as I think my main problem revision wise is that I'm not being structured enough so this will be really useful :smile:
Original post by Georgie99
Thank you, I'll definitely use that document as I think my main problem revision wise is that I'm not being structured enough so this will be really useful :smile:

I'm glad you find it helpful :smile: A good way to use it is to highlight the areas you're more confident on in green, the ones you're not 100% on in orange, and the ones you're stumped from in red. This way, you can really identify areas of weakness and work out where to best focus your energy. Best of luck! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest