The Student Room Group

Anyone else sick of all the petitions?

People complaining that the changes to the Higher English exam made it too hard, yeah like you knew what they changed anyway.

"Nat 5 Maths paper one was too hard and now I won't be able to get into uni" Calm down, knowing the SQA maths team it probably was but grade boundaries are always adjusted accordingly you don't need a petition about it

"Nat 5 bio had too much problem solving in it" Biology always has too much problem solving in it.

Just stfu and get on with it, it's getting embarrassing
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes it's all a bit silly. I sat the N5 maths exam and everything in it was of a N5 standard, there were a couple of questions which stood out to me as slightly tricky but apart from that it was actually pretty easy. I don't understand how people found it very difficult. It was a bit different from the past papers but you shouldn't study just by using past papers.
Original post by Zain-A
People complaining that the changes to the Higher English exam made it too hard, yeah like you knew what they changed anyway.

"Nat 5 Maths paper one was too hard and now I won't be able to get into uni" Calm down, knowing the SQA maths team it probably was but grade boundaries are always adjusted accordingly you don't need a petition about it

"Nat 5 bio had too much problem solving in it" Biology always has too much problem solving in it.

Just stfu and get on with it...

I completely agree with you...To be honest, I was close to making a thread just like this myself!
I found the higher English exam paper 2 quite hard (It's my weakest subject but I'm expected an A), but I am NOT signing a petition- IT IS POINTLESS! And I don't understand why some people will not accept that after being told repeatedly that petitions do not change grade boundaries! For all anyone knows, these petitions have been signed by 10000 people(for example) from all over the world who have nothing to do with Scottish exams! What gets grade boundaries moved is people performing poorly and a bit of teachers complaining that the exam was not of the correct standard!
It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who thinks this:smile:
Reply 3
I'm sorry, the nat 5's are just idiots.

Too much problem solving? THAT'S WHAT BIOLOGY IS!

Maths paper too hard? I looked at it and recognised some questions just at a glance which were in our nat 5 paper. People saying all their hard work wasted... No, you just didn't work. Why is it that some people did find it good then?

Regretfully, I admit that Higher English petition is pointless but it was noticeably more difficult and the actual leak did genuinely change a lot of people mindset before we even had the paper in front of us. But a lot people did agree I guess.

What does nat 5 mean? Nat 5 means the square root of jack s***. I had people in my classes with university conditions so if they found the English exam harder, I would understand their frustration at least if I wasn't going to agree. But nat 5 means jack. Bunch of lazy ******. Worst thing is, they even admit that paper 2 was fine. ARE YOU F*****G SERIOUS!?!? You mean 20k people are complaining that the second paper (WHICH IS WORTH MORE MARKS) was harder...? Wow. Just wow.

Maths was an exception. Tbh, I thought Maths was mostly a fair paper too.

Everyone is getting too lazy. An A shouldn't be something you want a cry over because you found an exam hard since you didn't revise as much as you should. An A is supposed to sho your hardwork. Your determination. Your perseverance. Your consistency throughout the year.

Big up the SQA for telling the nat 5's to basically piss off and look at the specimen papers. GOOD JOB FOR ONCE SQA.

#itcanbedone
Reply 4
Original post by Jeff548.

Maths paper too hard? I looked at it and recognised some questions just at a glance which were in our nat 5 paper. People saying all their hard work wasted... No, you just didn't work. Why is it that some people did find it good then?

Regretfully, I admit that Higher English petition is pointless but it was noticeably more difficult and the actual leak did genuinely change a lot of people mindset before we even had the paper in front of us. But a lot people did agree I guess.

What does nat 5 mean? Nat 5 means the square root of jack s***. I had people in my classes with university conditions so if they found the English exam harder, I would understand their frustration at least if I wasn't going to agree. But nat 5 means jack. Bunch of lazy ******. Worst thing is, they even admit that paper 2 was fine. ARE YOU F*****G SERIOUS!?!? You mean 20k people are complaining that the second paper (WHICH IS WORTH MORE MARKS) was harder...? Wow. Just wow.

Everyone is getting too lazy. An A shouldn't be something you want a cry over because you found an exam hard since you didn't revise as much as you should. An A is supposed to sho your hardwork. Your determination. Your perseverance. Your consistency throughout the year.

Big up the SQA for telling the nat 5's to basically piss off and look at the specimen papers. GOOD JOB FOR ONCE SQA.

#itcanbedone

Woooah, cool the jets man.

Personally I agree with petitions if they have some point to them, e.g last years higher maths exam. It also lets the SQA know what they are doing wrong, these qualifications are very new and they need to be perfected as soon as possible to prevent any exam mess ups like the one I mentioned earlier.
Reply 5
Original post by SSJBlue
Woooah, cool the jets man.

Personally I agree with petitions if they have some point to them, e.g last years higher maths exam. It also lets the SQA know what they are doing wrong, these qualifications are very new and they need to be perfected as soon as possible to prevent any exam mess ups like the one I mentioned earlier.

No.

The SQA go through extreme measures to check their papers but they don't factor into account 20 000 lazy nat 5 students.

Last years higher maths was absolutely fine if you revised. Some questions like the shaded area said that many people didn't know to integrate. Like seriously... that is the main thing you're taught in that topic and it couldn't have been much simpler unless they told you the answer.

Less petitions, more past papers
Reply 6

#itcanbedone

Very powerful

#itcanbedone

Jeff like I said on a previous thread, those who do not continue in school may need a strong National 5 Pass in Maths for a certain college course or job. PTS even told you the same, I may not agree with petitions but you are very foul when expressing your opinions. Really just shows your immaturity and you are supposed to be a S5/6 right ? Oh and I find it funny how you feel more sympathy towards Higher English an exam you sat than other exams that people had which caused controversy

Anyway Zain, I agree with you, I think the petitions have gotten a little out of hand. The SQA may see that people had difficulties with the exam and change grade boundaries if necessary, there is no need for petitions,
(edited 7 years ago)
No.

The SQA go through extreme measures to check their papers but they don't factor into account 20 000 lazy nat 5 students.

Last years higher maths was absolutely fine if you revised. Some questions like the shaded area said that many people didn't know to integrate. Like seriously... that is the main thing you're taught in that topic and it couldn't have been much simpler unless they told you the answer.

Need to agree with Ethan here Jeff, you're being a bit unreasonable and immature. The maths paper last year was not a fair paper, the SQA even admitted this.

My problem with the petitions is they all demand grade boundaries to be lowered but don't understand that they will be lowered based on performance not on a petition. The petition makes no difference and is just stupid tbh.

Original post by Ethan100
Jeff like I said on a previous thread, those who do not continue in school may need a strong National 5 Pass in Maths for a certain college course or job. PTS even told you the same, I may not agree with petitions but you are very foul when expressing your opinions. Really just shows your immaturity and you are supposed to be a S5/6 right ? Oh and I find it funny how you feel more sympathy towards Higher English an exam you sat than other exams that people had which caused controversy

Anyway Zain, I agree with you, I think the petitions have gotten a little out of hand. The SQA may see that people had difficulties with the exam and change grade boundaries if necessary, there is no need for petitions,

Agree, the SQA need to be held accountable if these exams were in fact unfair in anyway and petition after petition is undermining our ability to do so.
No.

Right you, needing to calm down a bit pal...

"The SQA go through extreme measures to check their papers" - think you're overdoing that really. Last year's Higher Maths paper actually had '10.30 pm till noon' on the front - obviously went through extreme measures to check that eh? Yes they'll carry out procedures to try and ensure quality control but they do make quite a few mistakes (which is bound to happen tbh). Also, did you even sit last year's Higher Maths exam? It certainly wasn't "absolutely fine" :rolleyes:. The wording of some questions was atrocious, which the SQA admitted, and it really put people off. I've just sat Advanced Higher Maths and it was much easier than last year's Higher Maths exam...

With regard to the petitions, I agree that it's getting ridiculous but telling people who obviously had a hard time sitting the paper that they're "lazy" and "stupid" just makes you seem like a dick. Why not point out that grade boundaries will be adjusted accordingly instead of insulting peoples' intelligence?
Original post by chopinfan

"The SQA go through extreme measures to check their papers" - think you're overdoing that really. Last year's Higher Maths paper actually had '10.30 pm till noon' on the front - obviously went through extreme measures to check that eh? Yes they'll carry out procedures to try and ensure quality control but they do make quite a few mistakes (which is bound to happen tbh). Also, did you even sit last year's Higher Maths exam? It certainly wasn't "absolutely fine" :rolleyes:. The wording of some questions was atrocious, which the SQA admitted, and it really put people off. I've just sat Advanced Higher Maths and it was much easier than last year's Higher Maths exam...

With regard to the petitions, I agree that it's getting ridiculous but telling people who obviously had a hard time sitting the paper that they're "lazy" and "stupid" just makes you seem like a dick. Why not point out that grade boundaries will be adjusted accordingly instead of insulting peoples' intelligence?

To Jeff anything he wasn't apart of is "absolutely fine" . I mean '10.30 pm till noon' hahaha even a Lazy, stupid and idiotic Nat 5 student like myself would be able to realise that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Petitions aren't that bad, if they help us pass, then that's good :smile:

But if this gets into a habit, people will doubt the quality of SQA qualifications
Original post by Ethan100
To Jeff anything he wasn't apart of is "absolutely fine" .

Loool exactly. I saw him complaining about the Higher English exam because of the paper being changed but that literally makes no difference... His first account has been banned - only a matter of time till this one is too!
Loool exactly. I saw him complaining about the Higher English exam because of the paper being changed but that literally makes no difference... His first account has been banned - only a matter of time till this one is too!

Fair do's the maths exam was hard. For the time limit. The pass mark was lowered to like 34%. Everyone cries about how hard it was and how their A is going to be worth much more than an A in this years higher. You's might not say it but you'll probably think it. I'm sorry we didn't cry along side everyone who sat 2015 new higher, but the pass mark was lowered, for all boundaries.
Original post by qasim-98
Fair do's the maths exam was hard. For the time limit. The pass mark was lowered to like 34%. Everyone cries about how hard it was and how their A is going to be worth much more than an A in this years higher. You's might not say it but you'll probably think it. I'm sorry we didn't cry along side everyone who sat 2015 new higher, but the pass mark was lowered, for all boundaries.

Aye the pass mark was lowered but it was still a bit of a mess. Some people would have just moved on from questions that were too poorly worded to understand but other people spent ages trying to decipher what the **** was going on haha. Not really right that people should be penalised for that and it should never have happened in the first place.

Honestly I would not think at all that people who get an A this year are less deserving :confused: That just wouldn't make sense at all; the SQA move the grade boundaries so that is pretty much the same level of difficulty to get an A each year.
Maths paper last year was easy tried it for practice before yesterday's exam and got 82% but I may understand why a petition was created for that. However, a petition for the nat 5 maths exam this year is ridiculous especially because it's so easy (yes I'm a higher pupil but the problem solving skills involved in solving questions in paper 1 is even lower than nat 5 level - come on 3.14 * 50 what's so hard about that, grow up ffs you're expecting 3 * 2 in a non calculator paper?)
I agree that the petitioning is a tad of an overreaction but if it helps them sleep at night then hey-ho.
SQA don't really care and if the paper is actually harder than expected/ not what you had actually been taught then they'll lower the grade boundaries because the difficulty/improper choice of questions will be reflected in the general trend of marks; not because of a petition on change.org and a BBC News article.
Again, however democratic society free-speech etc etc people will do as they please irrespective of the reality of the situation.

I sat Higher maths last year and thought I had royally fudged it up - and the plentiful news articles and petitions reinforced this fear - but somehow sailed through in August w/ an A. I think this whole petition culture seems to only further the concerns it's trying to quash.

SQA are gonna continue putting out exam papers that don't directly reflect the course, pupils are going to continue getting mad, and August will roll around each year to separate the over concerned pupils who did study from the mob mentality individuals who simply wanted to mask the fact they largely neglected revising.

People always complain that what we learn in school is never going to be used in the "real world" yet when an exam mirrors the unpredictability and lateral thinking the real world requires, they suddenly begin to incite a revolutionary uprising against the SQA. Life doesn't come with a how to pass book folks, and neither did AH Biology this year but let's forget about the early implementation of courses with little study materials available that teachers are unsure how to teach and complain that I had to do some Maths in my Biology exam, despite that being a clear and obvious requirement of the course. (Not a direct attack on this years adv. Bio, the paper was pretty awesome imo but the SQA teaching guidelines left my teacher puzzled for most of the year.)
Original post by Yammy
Petitions aren't that bad, if they help us pass, then that's good :smile:

But if this gets into a habit, people will doubt the quality of SQA qualifications

No, people will doubt the credibility of the scottish students voice
Original post by JM_1998
Life doesn't come with a how to pass book folks, and neither did AH Biology this year but let's forget about the early implementation of courses with little study materials available that teachers are unsure how to teach and complain that I had to do some Maths in my Biology exam, despite that being a clear and obvious requirement of the course. (Not a direct attack on this years adv. Bio, the paper was pretty awesome imo but the SQA teaching guidelines left my teacher puzzled for most of the year.)

Bit in bold is quality haha, yeah we should be focusing on the REAL problems of CfE. The countless internal assessments that eat up teachers time, the lack of clarity on assignments and constantly changing rules once teacher come back from SQA markers meetings, the complete lack of resources and the low quality of the ones published. Where is the petition for all that...

I revised so hard for National 5 even paid 100's and 100's of pounds on tuition to just about raise my prelim grade to a B yet I still found the National 5 paper 1 difficult, not all of it, but some of the questions WERE difficult. You're a higher student Jeff, you're obviously going to find the National 5 paper easy?!?!? I get that you've done the course and all but still?! I'm not lazy, i worked exceptionally hard to only have to *probably/maybe* resit Nat 5 again. :frown:
And also Jeff I really do like you because you've been a great help to me in revising for Higher Biology however I would like to strongly disagree that "Nat 5 means jack****" because you wouldn't be here doing your highers getting your uni requirements had you not done Nat ?!?!?! Also, you were extremely *for* the Higher English petition yet here you are slandering the Nat 5 Maths petition, thats a LOT of hypocrisy! A lot of candidates found paper 1 difficult which has severely decreased their chances of doNng Higher Maths which is PROBABLY their uni requirement so National 5's in this case mean EVERYTHING! And please cut out the bad language for the love of GOD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending