The Student Room Group

Predicted Grades & Uni

Hi!

First time posting (unless I forgot that I did a while ago)... i'll just get straight to it.
I'm doing the AS for Phys Bio and Math with the former under AQA, latter under Edexcel, and central under Eduqas (WJEC).

I'm relatively confident to some degree that I can get an A or A* in both Math and Physics, however Eduqas changed their specification and no past papers exist and we only have three specimen papers. The mark schemes are very precise, and if you go one word away from topic you wont get the mark at all, which is a little bit displeasing.

What i'm posting about anyway is whether anyone could tell me what would happen if I got an AAB in these AS exams; would I be predicted a grade of AAB or something lower/higher? I wanted to go to Bath Uni however I fear that if i'm not able to get an A in the new exam I wont be able too :frown:

On another note, any idea on an exam board that has questions including application of knowledge would be an amazing thing too if anyone has ideas :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by Callicious
Hi!

First time posting (unless I forgot that I did a while ago)... i'll just get straight to it.
I'm doing the AS for Phys Bio and Math with the former under AQA, latter under Edexcel, and central under Eduqas (WJEC).

I'm relatively confident to some degree that I can get an A or A* in both Math and Physics, however Eduqas changed their specification and no past papers exist and we only have three specimen papers. The mark schemes are very precise, and if you go one word away from topic you wont get the mark at all, which is a little bit displeasing.

What i'm posting about anyway is whether anyone could tell me what would happen if I got an AAB in these AS exams; would I be predicted a grade of AAB or something lower/higher? I wanted to go to Bath Uni however I fear that if i'm not able to get an A in the new exam I wont be able too :frown:

On another note, any idea on an exam board that has questions including application of knowledge would be an amazing thing too if anyone has ideas :biggrin:

Different schools have different policies on predicted grades, so you would need to discuss that with your so.
Reply 2

Pretty much all A-levels include aspects of "the application of knowledge".

Or do you mean something like Critical Thinking, or maybe Philosophy?
Reply 3
Original post by jneill
Pretty much all A-levels include aspects of "the application of knowledge".

Or do you mean something like Critical Thinking, or maybe Philosophy?

It's just something we're not use too in the context; most of my classmates are perfectly fine with applying the knowledge, however the mark schemes are really rough with how they award marks for wording, etcetera, with no lee way
It's just something we're not use too in the context; most of my classmates are perfectly fine with applying the knowledge, however the mark schemes are really rough with how they award marks for wording, etcetera, with no lee way

The mark schemes will apply to all candidates just the same. You are under no greater disadvantage than anyone else, and grade boundaries will be adjusted to ensure that the right proportion of each grade emerges.
Hi!

If you get AAB then you should be predicted AAB or higher (at my old school you probably would of been predicted AAB/AAA)

Everyone is in the same boat so you arent actually at any greater disadvantage and if I am honest it is probably a good thing you dont have many past papers because is can be a slight intro to uni as you normally dont get any past papers or in the rare case you do then you dont get a mark scheme.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending