The Student Room Group

Blackpool IS officially the London of the North. Agree?

Blackpool is Britain's second most visited place by tourists after London. Its is one of the few places that has identity like London has Big Ben Blackpool has its famous tower. London has its red buses and Blackpool has its trams.

I saw on TV how the Japanese preferred to visit Blackpool after London. Many said that they weren't interested in Bath, Oxford or York and that. Blackpool had style and heritage. One even described it as little Paris.

Scroll to see replies

LOL, Blackpool is the second biggest dump in the UK (first place going to Clacton on sea).
I have never been to Blackpool but i have heard it is quite a scary place to visit....

I would way rather visit London :u:
tears, surely Birmingham/Manchester are London of the north
Original post by Ambitious1999
Blackpool is Britain's second most visited place by tourists after London. Its is one of the few places that has identity like London has Big Ben Blackpool has its famous tower. London has its red buses and Blackpool has its trams.

I saw on TV how the Japanese preferred to visit Blackpool after London. Many said that they weren't interested in Bath, Oxford or York and that. Blackpool had style and heritage. One even described it as little Paris.

Lol people who live there hate it so much and don't recommend it to anyone
No way. I'd prefer Manchester over Blackpool ANY day :yes:
Original post by angelfox

No.

And if it's Britain as the OP said, then it's Glasgow.

Have you been to Blackpool?

Birmingham is in the Midlands.
Original post by JamesN88
Birmingham is in the Midlands.

north of the Watford gap
north of the Watford gap

:congrats:
Have you been to Blackpool?

Yes several times its a very exciting town.
Not many towns can boast having a theme park in the town centre, a replica of the Eiffel tower, loads of huge amusement arcades, the only other London dungeon outside of London (Blackpool tower dungeon) a Madame Tussards wax works, winter gardens. Three huge piers, trams that don't look boring, illuminations and a lot of fish n chip shops.
I must admit the pleasure beach isn't as good as it was after they charged for entry. Normal towns are boring.
But despite being the 2nd most visited place in Britain I'm just surprised more people don't come.

Blackpool is my kinda town :smile:

Blackpool is ace!
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes several times its a very exciting town.
Not many towns can boast having a theme park in the town centre, a replica of the Eiffel tower, loads of huge amusement arcades, the only other London dungeon outside of London (Blackpool tower dungeon) a Madame Tussards wax works, winter gardens. Three huge piers, trams that done look boring, illuminations and a lot of fish n chip shops.
I must admit the pleasure beach isn't as good as it was after they charged for entry.
But despite being the 2nd most visited place in Britain I'm just surprised more people don't come?
Blackpool is ace!

I won't deny it's good fun, however it's also a shithole. The London of the north would be Edinburgh IMO.
What does London of the North mean? Stupid phrase/ Why cnat these places stand on their own merits and be themselves without being compared to London? Ridiculous. You are trolling again ambitious.
Original post by 999tigger
What does London of the North mean? Stupid phrase/ Why cnat these places stand on their own merits and be themselves without being compared to London? Ridiculous. You are trolling again ambitious.

I don't think he's a troll, but rather that he genuinely believes what he's saying on these various inane threads. :biggrin:
I don't think he's a troll, but rather that he genuinely believes what he's saying on these various inane threads. :biggrin:

Nope that option would make me cry. I prefer going for the too clever option.

The idea has some merit , but he spoiled it with Blackpool. I know its meant to get a massive number of visitors and imo it does have a lot of charm and the tackiness is part of that. I havent been for many years, but it was considerably run down even then. I do think it gets a massive amount of tourists, but heres a couple of top ten lists.

https://www.visitbritainshop.com/world/articles/top-10-english-tourist-destinations/

http://www.touropia.com/tourist-attractions-in-england/
Nope that option would make me cry. I prefer going for the too clever option.

The idea has some merit , but he spoiled it with Blackpool. I know its meant to get a massive number of visitors and imo it does have a lot of charm and the tackiness is part of that. I havent been for many years, but it was considerably run down even then. I do think it gets a massive amount of tourists, but heres a couple of top ten lists.

https://www.visitbritainshop.com/world/articles/top-10-english-tourist-destinations/

http://www.touropia.com/tourist-attractions-in-england/

It's a shame none of the Welsh castles are on there, Tussauds have ruined Warwick IMO with all the their tacky shite.

A couple of cities in Europe are called "the Venice of the north" and rightly so.

Nothing wrong with comparing other cities to London. Although as much as I dislike the city there isn't anywhere else like it on this planet.

Edit: Pressed reply before I'd actually finished my comment..
(edited 7 years ago)

Original post by Wilfred Little
No.

And if it's Britain as the OP said, then it's Glasgow.

simply i won't get into the north south divide argument but i will list britain's most powerful/influential cities
1-london
2-birmingham
3-edinburgh
4-cardiff
5-manchester
6-glasgow
7-oxford
8-cambridge
9-leeds
10-liverpool
Reply 19
Why all the hate for Blackpool? I have done a tourist week there and it is pleasantly okay. The beach is clean, there are plenty of excursions and activities to do and the pleasure beach theme park is what it advertises to be.

Mind you, I am not your average TSR age group so I was on a UK family break rather than the party week type break.

The 'London of the north' is a bit of a stretch though.

Quick Reply

Latest