The Student Room Group

Brutal Homophobic Attack in Brighton, Sussex

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I don't think there are any more shortcomings in enforcement of LGBT protection laws than there are in all laws generally. A point made that there is a lack of reaction and prevention of these attacks from the police is therefore a critique of the police generally rather than specifically an LGBT issue.

Considering this, the police are already so stretched as it is; so the only way forward logically would be to actually challenge the motivating ideas (homophobia etc) behind attacks like these and others.

Ironically, it is that challenging that you have banned from happening on this thread.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jeff548.
This is going to cause a riot but shows in a nutshell TSR.

NO MUSLIM CARRIED OUT THIS ATTACK. THAT'S WHY MUSLIMS ARE NOT BEING SLAYEd. IF A MUSLIM CARRIED OUT THIS ATTACK. THEN OUR RELIGION IS 'WRONG' AND OUR TEACHInGS ARE MOCKED.

SO WHY IS THERE NO BIG DEAL? A MUSLIM ATTACK LIKE THIS HAS BLOODY 20 PAGES OF ARGUMEnTS.

DENY ALL YOU WANT. YOU SAY MUSLIMS HATE HOMOSExUALS BUT IN YOUR BLOODY COUNTRY YOU'RE BEING MORONS YOURSELF. IT'S JUST RACISM AND DISCRIMINATION.

Don't bother replying to me. I couldn't give a f*** about your excuses and attempts to defence becasue I know exactly what you're gonna say but you're wasting your time. Stupid ****s

Nobody in this thread brought up any of that before you did you paranoid cretin. Quit stirring.
(edited 7 years ago)
I won't add the silly QIA to the end, but it's awful this sort of thing happens to people specifically they are LGBT :frown:
Reply 63
Original post by MildredMalone
I won't add the silly QIA to the end, but it's awful this sort of thing happens to people specifically they are LGBT :frown:

The first comment was highly unnecessary but yes. It is.

Original post by okey

Ironically, it is that challenging that you have banned from happening on this thread.

? I don't understand?
Reply 64
Original post by ivybridge
The first comment was highly unnecessary but yes. It is.

? I don't understand?

You banned any debate of whether "being gay is right or wrong" from happening on this thread. It is these debates that need to happen to reduce these kinds of attacks (assuming homophobia is the principle cause of attacks like these).

Maybe if you re read it you'll understand.
I think that overall we have made great strides as a society to combat homophobia and to promote and ensure safety of the LGBT community. However horrific attacks like this show we must continue to strive for further improvements in this area.
Reply 66
Original post by okey
You banned any debate of whether "being gay is right or wrong" from happening on this thread. It is these debates that need to happen to reduce these kinds of attacks (assuming homophobia is the principle cause of attacks like these).

Maybe if you re read it you'll understand.

Unbelievable. I haven't banned anything; I wasn't asking for a debate about that because it isn't relevant. Calm down. The debate on TSR has been had many time and it gets nowhere - people are stuck in their ways about the issue. It isn't relevant to the article. It's relevant to another point.

The gay as right or wrong argument will not help this in my opinion.
Reply 67
Original post by KimKallstrom
I think that overall we have made great strides as a society to combat homophobia and to promote and ensure safety of the LGBT community. However horrific attacks like this show we must continue to strive for further improvements in this area.

I agree.
Reply 68
Unbelievable. I haven't banned anything; I wasn't asking for a debate about that because it isn't relevant. Calm down. The debate on TSR has been had many time and it gets nowhere - people are stuck in their ways about the issue. It isn't relevant to the article. It's relevant to another point.

The gay as right or wrong argument will not help this in my opinion.

you really don't understand do you?:laugh::laugh:
this may be irrelevant but gay people are honestly some of the nicest and most tolerant people around. Why? Because they understand to a personal level what abuse, hate and oppression feels like, whether they experience it themselves or not.

People seriously need to check their privilege, whether thats being white, male or straight
Reply 70
Original post by okey
you really don't understand do you?:laugh::laugh:

I understand, I just don't agree. Anyway, it's not relevat here. Make your own thread if you want to start that debate up.
Original post by STEMisSuperior.
this may be irrelevant but gay people are honestly some of the nicest and most tolerant people around. Why? Because they understand to a personal level what abuse, hate and oppression feels like, whether they experience it themselves or not.

People seriously need to check their privilege, whether thats being white, male or straight

Oh shut it. Why is race even being brought into it?
Reply 72

Well, that's certainly a very broad statement to make. It's obviously not true. We're people - there's idiots and there's nice guys. Yes, we have an appreciation for those things generally but also, some of us don't. Especially now, many have had a much easier ride with their sexuality.
Original post by Jebedee
Oh shut it. Why is race even being brought into it?

A generic reference to idiots like you who dont realise how being born in a privileged situation makes all the difference. Just like how a straight person obviously has their own privileges, white people and males also share that privilege. This links with general tolerance in society where those with less privilege are generally more tolerant than those with privilege.

Deny it all you want, dismiss it in whatever silly condescending way you want, privilege exists.
Well, that's certainly a very broad statement to make. It's obviously not true. We're people - there's idiots and there's nice guys. Yes, we have an appreciation for those things generally but also, some of us don't. Especially now, many have had a much easier ride with their sexuality.

I think its safe to say gays are more tolerant than the rest of society, not all ofc but yes, i am speaking generally.
Reply 75
I think its safe to say gays are more tolerant than the rest of society, not all ofc but yes, i am speaking generally.

Again, I think that's a big generalisation and I can see your angle but I would have to say it's way too general to give. There's much intolerance of people within our own community - bisexuals and transsexuals in particular.
A generic reference to idiots like you who dont realise how being born in a privileged situation makes all the difference. Just like how a straight person obviously has their own privileges, white people and males also share that privilege. This links with general tolerance in society where those with less privilege are generally more tolerant than those with privilege.

Deny it all you want, dismiss it in whatever silly condescending way you want, privilege exists.

If some chav wants to smack a gay guy in the mouth for being gay, no amounts of protesting in your underpants or thinking up new terminology in your social justice class will change that.

The only privilege is money.
Again, I think that's a big generalisation and I can see your angle but I would have to say it's way too general to give. There's much intolerance of people within our own community - bisexuals and transsexuals in particular.

Sure its a general reference. But when the LGBT community are avid defenders of Islam, keen supporters of refugees, and all for multiculturalism i dont think you should be dismissing it like that.

I mean, there's not many who are heterophobic right?
Original post by Jebedee
If some chav wants to smack a gay guy in the mouth for being gay, no amounts of protesting in your underpants or thinking up new terminology in your social justice class will change that.

The only privilege is money.

As i said, it was a generic reference.

You're delusional.
Im not really sure whats up for debate here. Britain is extremely tolerant of homesexuals. If the aims of the LBGT community is for a world to exist where not one single homosexual is called a homophobic slur, then that is never going to happen.

Slight side point to the article included in the OP but we cannot even be sure his sexuality motivated the attack. Providing the religious demographic stays low, homosexuals will only continue to become more and more accepted in society

Quick Reply

Latest