The Student Room Group

as sociology essay writing

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Daniel6
I recognise the warm bath theory but the other 3 don't seem to be highlighted in my text book at all. I'm taking the AS exam, are you required to know and use all these theories in AS or A2? If it's AS then I'm puzzled why my textbook doesn't have them.

AS definitely

Check my family ppt here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4074057
Reply 21
Original post by DanE1998
AS definitely

Check my family ppt here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4074057

Ok, will do.

Damn looks like I'm stuffed for the exam in 4 days if I don't know these theories. Can't believe the AQA Sociology AS textbook I have doesn't mention them anywhere.
Original post by Daniel6
Ok, will do.

Damn looks like I'm stuffed for the exam in 4 days if I don't know these theories. Can't believe the AQA Sociology AS textbook I have doesn't mention them anywhere.

It's definitely in the spec:

the relationship of the family to the social structure and social change, with particular reference tothe economy and to state policies
Reply 23
It's definitely in the spec:

the relationship of the family to the social structure and social change, with particular reference tothe economy and to state policies

This is the majority of the information that my textbook has on Functionalist

http://imgur.com/a/r6an5

Hopefully I'll still be able to pull off a C :/
Reply 24
Organic Analogy

Functions of the Family

Functional Fit Theory

Warm Bath Theory

What's the warm Barth theory? I'm doing the old spec and can't see it in my book
I know Parsons and Murdoch
That's all I have
Reply 25
Original post by Daniel6
This is the majority of the information that my textbook has on Functionalist

http://imgur.com/a/r6an5

Hopefully I'll still be able to pull off a C :/

I doubt functionalism comes up tbh
Original post by xxvine
What's the warm Barth theory? I'm doing the old spec and can't see it in my book
I know Parsons and Murdoch
That's all I have

Warm Bath Theory - Parsons

This idea that the family acts as an offlet valve for the oppressions of wider society
Reply 27
How does globalisation affect education and also what are the aims of the education reform act?
Reply 28
Original post by xxvine
I doubt functionalism comes up tbh

What do you think will come up? If my textbook is missing theories on Functionalism I assume I'm missing theories on other stuff.
Can someone help me with the 30 mark question on the Sociology AS Family & Culture new paper that's next Tuesday? I'd really appreciate a list on how to answer!
Do you know how to anwser the new 30 mark question on the new WJEC/CBAC AS Sociology Family & Culture? Would appreciate some advice!
Warm Bath Theory - Parsons

This idea that the family acts as an offlet valve for the oppressions of wider society
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lilliannepabi
Do you know how to anser the new 30 mark question on the new WJEC/CBAC AS Sociology Family & Culture? Would appreciate some advice!

I don't study WJEC, sorry :frown: I would guess but don't want to tell you wrong
I don't study WJEC, sorry :frown: I would guess but don't want to tell you wrong

Can you tell me how you would answer a 30 mark question about family or culture?
Can you tell me how you would answer a 30 mark question about family or culture?

In general:

Introduction

Point 1 vs Counter Point 1 x 4or5

Conclusion

Beyond that I don't know your spec or anything
In general:

Introduction

Point 1 vs Counter Point 1 x 4or5

Conclusion

Beyond that I don't know your spec or anything

Ok, thank you for your help!
Reply 35
What does gender regime mean ?
Reply 36
Does anyone actually understand how Globalization has affected education
Reply 37
How did it go? What types of question are/were you expecting? You can divide most of them up into things like problem/solution, cause/effect, for/against, etc. - if you think of key topics in this way, you'll be able to prepare for them clearly beforehand.
Reply 38
Ok, thank you for your help!

You could definitely do that. Try to think of groups (or themes) and ways of dividing up the topics in advance to help you - save the stress in the exam!

What types of essay question do you think there'll be?

For/against type ones or cause/effect, problem/solution? Narrowing down this way will make it easier going into the exam....if it is this coming Tuesday, that is?!
Original post by sjb1983
You could definitely do that. Try to think of groups (or themes) and ways of dividing up the topics in advance to help you - save the stress in the exam!

What types of essay question do you think there'll be?

For/against type ones or cause/effect, problem/solution? Narrowing down this way will make it easier going into the exam....if it is this coming Tuesday, that is?!

The example questions are for and against like, evaluate explanations that functionalists have on the role of education. Sorry I had to translate it from welsh so that's why it may not make sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending